Old 01-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #7161
rjknittrdude747
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to rjknittrdude747
Heya Eye595: I'm brand new here also, just joined yesterday, but haha, have been a serious Hobby knitter for over 40 years. I primarily knit scarves, toques, afghans, throws, that kinda thing, as I use TONS of colors and cannot follow patterns.

I found years ago when I first started I was only using at the most maybe 3 or 4 colors. So every once in awhile I would get bored and stop knitting for awhile. Then in the early 90's I got introduced to Color Knitting and got majorly readdicted again.

One little tip for you and how I got started, I was taught to only cast on about a dozen stitches and just start knitting, not purling, just knitting, row after row after row to work on my gauging, keeping the tension even. Once I got comfy with knitting, then I repeated the same thing with purling, just doing lots of rows.

The knitting classes you are going to start may teach different and that's totally cool. Whatever works for you eye595.

The most important thing, HAVE FUN! If I can be of ANY help in the future, I'm happy to help. Haa, I taught my 4 boys to knit, but now ONLY dad knits.

Also, I'm sure you'll find LOTS of friendly help here too. Oh, I'm just building a new knitting site for beginners, so feel free to visit and leave any comments or questions...www.learntoknittoday.com

Happy Knitting...RJ
rjknittrdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #7162
rjknittrdude747
Casting On

Hey Grumpy Gramma: My apologies for the delay in getting back here. I couldn't figure out how. I'm pretty 'green' when it comes to forums.

Anyway, Thank You for the warm welcome. I hardly do purling anymore, unless I do a project on my bamboo needles, but for the most part I'm quite addicted to circs for the moment. Then again I'm just playing around with scarfs and toques. Even my huge afghan I did a few years ago, I used the longest circs I could find; had 2 of them and used em like straight needles.

I do love my bamboo needles though. Must think of a project soon and put them back to work. They've been sitting quietly in my bag over a year.

Happy Knitting.....RJ
Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #7163
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Another New Member
Hello All
Just joined today. I found this site a while ago when looking for help on kitchener stitch but have only just realised that there is also a forum here too!

My name is Brenda and I live in SE Michigan but I'm originally from England, I've lived here over 18 years now. I work full time and have a large range of hobbies that are mostly dependent on the weather! Summer hobbies are camping, kayaking, mountain biking and gardening, Winter hobbies are skiing and baking. Year round hobbies are reading, genealogy, knitting and card making. Although in Michigan in the middle of summer it's often too hot to knit.

On the knitting front I still consider myself a beginner. I was taught to knit as a child but didn't touch it for about 35 years so forgot everything and had to relearn completely a couple of years ago. I started with dish cloths as they were simple, didn't take much time, were useful and I learnt a few simple patterns. I've tried a scarf but it bored me rigid and it never got finished! I moved on to socks and have been having a lot of fun, I've knitted four pairs in 2012 and have plans for lots more.

I'm currently knitting a watch hat for my husband in a 50% Alpaca 50% Icelandic sheep mix and I'm eying up my next sock too, a patterned one this time! I'm also hoping to try a simple cable and a lace pattern too this year, but not necessarily as socks, perhaps wrist warmers or something.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Brenda
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #7164
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
Hi and welcome to KH, Brenda. You'll find lots of encouragement here for your knitting habit, and you have the sock bug. It's not fatal but is hard to cure!

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #7165
rjknittrdude747
Casting On

Hey Brenda, hello and welcome. I also am new on this forum and kinda new back at knitting. Like yourself I learned as a kid; started at 8. Just had a break away from knitting for about a a year and missed it so started back maybe a month ago.

I've never tried socks, although I've bought a couple books on sock patterns in years past but never tried them. Knit some mittens once and really enjoyed that project. Used 35 colors. I was a Clown, so wanted colorful mittens. Also did a 12' scarf at the time, with 85 colors.

Now latest gig is knitting scarves on a short circ. I cast on 50 sts; I'm using 50 colors (sol & vari) and I'm mixing up my patterns. Current project is 7 rows per color.

You mentioned getting bored in years past. That happened to me too when I was only using 1 - 4 colors. That all changed in the 90's. LONG story haha. Anyway Brenda nice to meet you here. Look forward to corresponding and talking 'knit chat'. Would love to add you on FB.

Happy Knitting....RJ
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #7166
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the welcome ladies. I love the sock bug and hope it never gets cured! I think I've figured out I like small projects that can be completed in a reasonable time and socks fit the bill, plus once one is made you just HAVE to make the second one otherwise you've wasted your time! So far I've only been using yarn from JoAnns or Michaels, mostly bought on sale in case I couldn't get in to it or made tons of mistakes. But I treated myself to a large ball of Regia, the same of Kertzer and a few little balls of Crystal Palace Panda Silk mix as a little Christmas present to me.

RJ you sound like a freestyle knitter? I do have a FB account but I'm never on there as it sucks all my time up, but thanks for the invite!

Brenda
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #7167
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
Quote:
plus once one is made you just HAVE to make the second
I knit socks 2@time to avoid ye olde Second Sock Syndrome. You might like it too.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #7168
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I knit socks 2@time to avoid ye olde Second Sock Syndrome. You might like it too.
I've heard of that but it made my eyes bulge and I went running for the hills screaming!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #7169
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by butlersabroad View Post
I've heard of that but it made my eyes bulge and I went running for the hills screaming!
You can do what I do which is knit two at a time on DIFFERENT needles. I do magic loop so I just need two of the same.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #7170
rjknittrdude747
Casting On

Haha, I hear ya about FB Brenda. The only time I'm actually on is to accept a friend invite for the most part. But, I've been thinking lately of just trying to build my friend list. Was gonna visit the Men's Knitting Forum and see if I could get some guys on my list. There are surprising number of guys who knit.

Socks is something I have never tried. Mittens were a challenge and after I finished the first pr I wasn't sure if I wanted to tackle another. Yes Brenda I'm definitely a freestyle knitter. I LOVE color and I love NO patterns. Just start with a basic idea, c.o. and knit away. I think socks would certainly be a challenge for me for sure.