Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 4,136 Times in 3,778 Posts
It looks like such a lovely buttercup yellow and the Fisherman's rib is just so sqeezable. Perfect for a new baby sweater, a wonderful gift and of course, beautifully done.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-16-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Antares
Working the Gusset

Fluffy, buttery, creamy wonderfulness. It's very adorable (and now I'm hungry).

Have you given it to her yet? I'd love to see the delight on her face! Bet she can't wait to put it on her little girl!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,740 Posts
Very pretty. I love the stubby little sleeves. Babies have such short little arms. Well done, beautiful, vibrant yarn and lovely buttons. Such a thoughtful gift.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,902 Times in 3,022 Posts
Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
Very pretty. I love the stubby little sleeves. Babies have such short little arms. Well done, beautiful, vibrant yarn and lovely buttons. Such a thoughtful gift.
"the stubby little sleeves..." lol!

That's because I drastically shortened them, having knit this hoodie numerous times since 1977! Baby sleeves are always too long if you follow the designer's direction. I hate rolling a cuff three times over to make it knuckle-length!

I'm Artlady at:
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Fluffy, buttery, creamy wonderfulness. It's very adorable (and now I'm hungry).

Have you given it to her yet? I'd love to see the delight on her face! Bet she can't wait to put it on her little girl!
Took it to Bible Study last night, but mother and children were absent. I'll bring it again Sunday. If she's not there, I'll get her address and drop it off. She's new at our church, so I'm in the dark about her address, etc.

I'm Artlady at:
Old 08-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #16
jayaus63
Casting On

Fishemans rib baby hoodie
Hi
I have a very old copy of this pattern as well.
was wondering if you still had the pattern you redid for a new baby. As I am having problems working out the stitches.

Many thanks in advance.

Janet
jayaus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by jayaus63 View Post
Hi
I have a very old copy of this pattern as well.
was wondering if you still had the pattern you redid for a new baby. As I am having problems working out the stitches.

Many thanks in advance.

Janet
Janet: do you mean that you're trying to adjust the pattern to make a much smaller size? Like my yellow one?

Anyway, I'm assuming that's your question. I looked at my Ravelry project notes for this particular baby hoodie. I'm doing a copy/paste directly from those notes. I hope they help you, but I tell ya, I was really feeling my way along blind, too. So anyway, here below are all my notes for you:

This baby jacket is for an 8 week old girl. She was 6 lbs at birth, she’s now a whopping 10 lbs. She’s a beautiful Hispanic baby, with 10 lbs of black hair! What a beauty!

I want this jacket to fit her now. The jacket pattern’s smallest size is 6 mo. Whatever that* RT* means, right? But for sure, it would probably be too big for her when she’s 6 mo old, too.

So I modified the pattern to a newborn size. I won’t bore you with all the horrid details except to say…instead of casting on 102 st for size 6 mo, I cast on 78 st. At 5.5” I divided the work to begin the yoke.
I cast on 78 st for the sleeves (cuff). I worked the fisherman rib patter stitch for 4” before I began the armhole shaping.

The jacket sleeves (as measured now) from cuff to beginning of yoke are 5.5”. The body (measured across the front) is 12.5”. The jacket length (from hem to neck) is 11”.

For the hood, I cast on 48 st. Worked pattern as per instructions until the piece was 6.5”. I did not bind off. I divided the 48 stitches onto 2 dpns and worked a 3-needle bind-off, which essentially seams the back of the hood.

My buttonholes are just K2tog, YO. I placed them so that the YO (which is actually the hole) is balanced and lined up with that little ‘trough’ of knits. My buttons are rather biggish acrylic ‘barrels’. They slip through the buttonhole by starting with the end of the barrel. My daughter told me always use bigger than normal buttons, mother, so that the darn sweater will stay buttoned up! This isn’t a gift for her baby, they’re 10 & 13 yrs old now, but I remembered what she said. Mothers want their baby’s sweaters to stay buttoned!

Now all this being said…and to throw a monkey wrench into the entire projects, and which will probably make my modifications totally useless to you: I used bulky weight yarn instead of worsted…because that’s all I had that was a nice yarn for this jacket. In other words, I wanted to use it, and wanted to make it work.

I misjudged the length of the yoke. I followed the pattern, but I shouldn’t have knit all the rows stated for the yoke because this made the yoke proportionately too tallish. Meh, what can ya do?

At the moment, I’ve got the jacket pinned down onto my blocking board. The yoke area is pinned I should say. I pinned it out wider so that it will look right. Not narrow and tall, but shorter and wide. I spritzed it with water, and am hoping that it will stay put. The fiber content for this yarn is mostly cotton, so I’m not holding my breath. Either way, I’m gifting this jacket to the mother at our Bible Study services on Tuesday evening. I’m certain she’ll like it just fine.

I should say something about the color of the yarn: it’s a tonal. That is, it very subtly changes in intensity, from very light yellow to deeper lemon yellow, as seen in the photos very clearly I think.

The yarn is sorta like a tape yarn. I used the Russian Join to connect new balls of yarn. It worked out quite nicely, and is invisible in the fisherman rib.

BTW: when you’re trying to count how many rows you’ve knit from hem to yoke, it’s hard. Fisherman rib stacks up to look like one row when you’ve actually knit two rows. So, when 20 “knits” are visible, you’ve knit 40 rows.

And here's my Ravelry link to the project:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtL...ibbed-jacket-2

I'm Artlady at:
Old 08-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #18
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

Regardingt the issue of second hand smoke,I can tell you it can really hurt unborn babies. I was pregnant with my first child when I was in the US Navy in the mid 1970's. I worked in the front desk of the Bachleor Officers Quarters. Every one but me and another girl, smoked like chimmnies, I breathed 2nd hand smoke the entire time i was pregnant. When my son was born, he weighed 3 lbs, 7 1/2 ozs and was 17 iches long but was not premature.He just didn't gain weight. He was alo born with 2 birth defects that required surgery to repair. One was a very neccessacary since his chest cavity was very sunken in towards his back bone, He did not have room for his lungs to expand.He was also born with kidney disease.. Lack of prenatal care was not an issue because I saw the doctors for every appointment, Us Navy made sure of that. When I had my daughter I was out of the Navy and back at home, everytime I got around a smoker, I asked them to put it out. My daughter was born weighing 6 lbs 11 1/2 ozs and there was nothing wrong with her,. Their brother was born weighing 8 lbs and nothing wrong with him,
Second hand smoke is very dangerous for a pregnant woman to be around.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
NorthernIrelandKnitter
Knitting the Flap

This is a beautiful jacket - again, well done! I especially love how you give a detailed account of the pattern, its recipient, your own association with it and also how you were able to get a copy of it on Ebay, even how you adapted it to suit a smaller baby.

What church do you belong to? That's a lovely way to reach out to a newcomer. Were some of your members smokers before the new ruling came in? Nobody at our church smokes, they just wouldn't think to do so.

Daily, that was an awful experience for younto have to through, and through no fault of your own.

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote