Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #71
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
I have the equivalent of two sets of Knit Picks Options NP. One set I bought as a set, the other piecemeal.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #72
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Sorry for the long delay, been really busy.

Here are the pics of the project I promised.

In this one you can see the small hole I was referring to in a previous post.

In this one I ended up picking up stitches. I'm not sure if I should go that far back to fix it. When I noticed it my original thought was to just add a tassel on either side to make it look intentional. Now I'm not so sure I want that. What would be the easiest way to fix this? Am willing to undo all that work to get back there.

dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #73
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Just thread a short piece of yarn on either side of the hole on the WS and close it up.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #74
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Any thoughts on the section where I picked up stitches then tapered off back to my original stitch count?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #75
suzeeq
Knit On!

Uhhhh... call it a design feature. Yep, that's the ticket, you did that on purpose!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #76
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

I did think of that which is why I tapered it and continued on with the project, but my daughter brought up the fact that the symmetry is off and I could stand it no longer. I ended up pulling out my needles and slowly peeled off until I reached just prior to the small whole, I carefully threaded my needle back in after the whole and started from there. I really hate to undo that much work, but given I started this no less than 10 times due to one reason or another I'd hate to have it look shoddy. I'd prefer to lose some work take a bit longer to complete but have a better looking finished product. I'm slightly obsessive like that.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #77
suzeeq
Knit On!

That's what I'd do too. It'll go faster the second time and look so much better you won't have minded redoing it.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #78
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I've gotten holes like that on occasion too, and I'm never really sure what causes them. I don't recall ever winding up with a "mystery stitch" so I don't think it was an accidental YO (plus it doesn't really look like a YO hole), and I think I'd know it if I'd accidentally knitted into the back loop (I have enough trouble doing that on purpose!)

My best guess is that the needle went into a place it wasn't meant to go, but it would have to do it without me noticing it.

Any guesses?
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #79
Antares
Working the Gusset

In spite of the hole, your knitting is looking great. I can't see it very well, but I wonder if the hole would have blocked out. Of course, that would only work if your design wasn't messed up. I sometimes get smallish holes in my knitting, and it's where I made a looser stitch. These usually work themselves out "in the wash," so to speak.

It sounds like you're learning some valuable lessons with this project. It's good to know how to "frog" back and fix something, and you appear to have done it perfectly! You deserve a pat on the back for just that feat alone.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #80
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

The hole really was a minor issue. I had figured to try to repair it as suzeeq suggested with just a loop and a square knot, I don't think it ever would have been noticeable but to me. The main problem I had was picking up those extra stitches and having it widen out then taper back off. When I decided to peel off to repair that, I figured why not take it back far enough to fix the hole as well.

It seems I'm also getting faster each day. I think the last time I actually picked up needles to knit, Tuesday I did about an inch in just a few hours.

Thank you for the compliment on the knitting. You wouldn't be surprised how many times I started, restarted it until it looked right. It's really nice when you get the hang of it and it starts to look like something. I almost feel like I know what I'm doing. I was impressed how well my color transition went.