Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #31
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
My SIL outlawd MS at his house, he cured MS with Macs all around, I got an old Windows laptop he said should go to ecycle and I'm running Linux Mint on it. If you want to you can go download Mint (it's a great flavor!) and do a dual boot. My drivers all worked out of the box with the d/l and I didn't have to go bald trying to get my printer up and running, now my wifi was another story but in my ignorance of what I was doing...I set up to need MAC addresses and didn't know what I'd done or why, but I got it working, now know what I did, and since it's more secure I'm leaving it like it is.

More later, maybe, gotta run now. Today I actually have a real life!

BTW my SIL, about 14 yrs. ago, told me he was a Computer Consultant (or Insultant depending on who he was working with/for or talking to) and has written or overseen the writing and installation of a lot of the code for a big company's billing system. I need to have him on my good side when it comes to computers so even if I wanted to run MS, I don't think I would.
I went there but
DH says no touchie things without my admin son... which may take a few years. He's so busy he doesn't have time to turn around.
starbuckundomiel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
That's beautiful. You did really well on it. Be proud of yourself for a job well done. Think of all you've learned. You're on your way crocheting anything you want.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
starbuckundomiel (01-21-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #33
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

MGM, I know your screen name is your initials. But I have to tell you what I think of every time I see it. I picture the MGM Grand movie logo with the lion roaring, on some big name picture like The Ten Commandments with Charleton Heston.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #34
MGM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
MGM, I know your screen name is your initials. But I have to tell you what I think of every time I see it. I picture the MGM Grand movie logo with the lion roaring, on some big name picture like The Ten Commandments with Charleton Heston.
Me too! But I can assure you, I am nothing like that roaring lion! Well except I do have some unruly hair to deal with every day!

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #35
MGM
Turning the Heel

Well Starbuck, your towel turned out just lovely! Did you enjoy making it in the end? Wasn't it great learning all this new stuff? Now you can take your new skills and jump into any crochet project you like! Good for you!

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MGM For This Useful Post:
starbuckundomiel (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #36
Antares
Working the Gusset

Well, for all your headaches, that towel turned out gorgeous, and the button is perfection itself--nice topper-offer!

If you get discouraged with your current project, just cast your eyes on this beauty to remind yourself of how good your project will eventually look--inspiration indeed.

I hope your newly found crochet skills will continue to flourish! Your stitches are so nice and even, your artistic juices are obviously flowing, and you are learning new stitches and techniques. That's a recipe for success!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
starbuckundomiel (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by MGM View Post
Well Starbuck, your towel turned out just lovely! Did you enjoy making it in the end? Wasn't it great learning all this new stuff? Now you can take your new skills and jump into any crochet project you like! Good for you!

MGM
'Aw, gee thanks Yeah, it was great once I knew what I was doing. Things were so nice once that started happening. Such pretty things to do with string!

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Well, for all your headaches, that towel turned out gorgeous, and the button is perfection itself--nice topper-offer!

If you get discouraged with your current project, just cast your eyes on this beauty to remind yourself of how good your project will eventually look--inspiration indeed.

I hope your newly found crochet skills will continue to flourish! Your stitches are so nice and even, your artistic juices are obviously flowing, and you are learning new stitches and techniques. That's a recipe for success!
I know! I will... I have, lol. I'm working on the back of the toilet tank thingie now...as with the towel I've had about 300 false starts but each time it looks better (but I do look at my towel a lot).

I hope all of you have a fun day!
starbuckundomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #38
RosieoinIdaho
Casting On

[quote=fatoldladyinpjs;1365744]Here are three videos by Teresa on the single, half double, and double crochet foundation stitches. This gives your work a more flexible edge. It also saves time by doing the chain and first crochet row in one step.

This is so awesome! I can't believe I have been crocheting for all these years and have never learned these stitches Think of all the time & unraveling I could have saved when doing afghans!
Thank you so much for sharing the links!

RosieoinIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #39
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
[quote=RosieoinIdaho;1367269]
Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
Here are three videos by Teresa on the single, half double, and double crochet foundation stitches. This gives your work a more flexible edge. It also saves time by doing the chain and first crochet row in one step.

This is so awesome! I can't believe I have been crocheting for all these years and have never learned these stitches Think of all the time & unraveling I could have saved when doing afghans!
Thank you so much for sharing the links!

You mean the foundation stitches? Yeah, for all the years I crocheted w/o them.... I knew there must be a way, was told by someone that they'd seen it done, and finally stumbled across it online. Love those foundation stitches.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #40
Antares
Working the Gusset

One interesting note about the foundation stitches: I've read that they were first seen in books from the 1950s; however, in looking through antique crochet books, I found it in books from the early 1900s. It probably originated long before that, though!

Isn't it fun to be a part of such a long history--a history where there's nothing new under the sun, and yet, everything about it is still new and exciting?
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote