Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #7171
Kattarina
Casting On

Hi everyone!

I'm Catarina, A SAHM mom who loves needles, yarns and fabrics.

Some of my hobbys are photography (I never leave home without a camera. You can see some of my photos in my blog), knitting, sewing and singing. I also love to read and to travel.

I'm portuguese but at the moment I live in Luxembourg

Kattarina is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #7172
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,100 Posts
Hi Catarina and welcome to Knitting Help! We're happy to have you here.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #7173
Libilou
Casting On

Good morning!
My name is Libilou. I'm Libilou here. I'm Libilou on Ravelry. I'm Libilou everywhere.

I'm 40-something single in the sandwich generation. Taking care of my kids and my parents (and my sister and her husband and kids, since they are out of work and out of a home).

I graduated last summer with a Bachelor's in Accounting, summa cum laude. I work in payroll for a living and love it.

I knit, crochet and spin. My kids tell me I own too much yarn, but I haven't figured out what those words mean.

I've been knitting for 12 years, crocheting for slightly less and spinning for only 4 years. I've started to actually knit from yarn I've made.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #7174
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Hi and welcome to you, Libilou. You are certainly a busy person but it sounds like your yarn priorities are just right. Glad to have you here.
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Libilou (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #7175
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Hi, Libilou. Only the uniknitiated would say "too much yarn." Welcome to KH.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Libilou (01-19-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #7176
jpbellavance
Casting On

Jesse Bellavance - son of a knitter
Hello,
My name is Jesse Bellavance. I do not knit but I wear sweaters/hats that my mother has knitted for me.

My mother is also a professional potter. I was hoping to have her link mentioned on this site as she sells some really beautiful yarn bowls and other functional pottery. I understand that you need to have at least one post before you can submit a link.

This will be my first post. I am hoping my mom will join some of these forums but her computer skills are almost nothing in comparison to her ability to make sweaters and pottery.

Thanks please view the link in the resources/links section for businesses related to pottery.

Kindly,
Jesse Bellavance
jpbellavance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #7177
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Hi Jesse and welcome. Your mother's yarn bowls are lovely and such a useful idea. Thanks very much!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #7178
grammywms
Casting On

Forgot to Introduce Myself
Hi, everyone...I'm Vicki from Indianapolis, IN. Started knitting when I was 12 (a neighbor taught me and my two sisters). Then in my 30's when I was busy with three school aged children all in sports, working full time and going to Nursing School, knitting was put on the back burner. In fact, it pretty much stayed on the back burner until this past year (I'm 66 and retired now). I knitted a prayer shawl for one of the women in our parish, who has stage four ovarian cancer that has spread to her liver. She will be on chemo the rest of her life. I guess the word got out that I was knitting and several of the women in our parish asked me to teach them...then our parish nurse asked if I'd like to start a Prayer Shawl Ministry. It is amazing how it all just evolved. Now we have 13 members. Most of us are retired and on fixed incomes, and others have been homeless and are finally in housing, but barely have enough money to get by. I go to thrift stores weekly and have lucked out once in awhile with a bag of assorted yarn for maybe $3-$4. But it is not always available. We have been fortunate to have some donations too, which I have distributed to our 13 members, but will need more as time goes on. It is such an important ministry. It is amazing how touched this woman was when we gave her our first shawl (our inaugural shawl)...in fact, the following week at church she seemed transformed. She went from wearing a scarf and being scared of dying to coming in bald (and proud of it) and resuming her duties on the liturgy committee...she has a glow about her now.

I found your site (which is wonderful and so helpful) to refresh my memory on some of the skills that were rusty...so I can teach others in our ministry to knit. I am grateful you are here. I am sure I'll continue to learn...I have a lot of catching up to do. No more back burner for my knitting.
grammywms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #7179
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Hi Vicki and welcome! You have certainly plunged back into knitting in a big way. It wonderful to enjoy it, teach others and do good work. Maybe some of the children at church would like to learn too?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #7180
grammywms
Casting On

Thanks, Salmonmac; never thought about the children in this regard. Maybe after my "students" are more proficient, we could tackle that together...great idea!
grammywms is offline   Reply With Quote