Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #41
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
I have read that the fsc and fdc are used in filet crochet and some of that is done with very thin thread. That's been around a long time so it may have originated with filet crochet then crossed over to other uses. I dunno. Interesting to think about. Being knotty can be so much fun.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #42
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I don't think there's anything you can't learn on Youtube. I knew how to crochet but was only doing things like blankets. A year ago, I quit smoking and took up crochet to get my mind off it. I've grown tremendously with Youtube videos. I've learned so much from them. Just goes to show you can teach an old dog (me) new tricks. I find the most interesting tutorials for new projects.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #43
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
One interesting note about the foundation stitches: I've read that they were first seen in books from the 1950s; however, in looking through antique crochet books, I found it in books from the early 1900s. It probably originated long before that, though!

Isn't it fun to be a part of such a long history--a history where there's nothing new under the sun, and yet, everything about it is still new and exciting?
I know! And to think men knitted and crocheted before women did. I read about it in a Canadian knitting book. When men made knitting machines women took up the craft of hand knitting so it wouldn't die out. wtg women!

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I have read that the fsc and fdc are used in filet crochet and some of that is done with very thin thread. That's been around a long time so it may have originated with filet crochet then crossed over to other uses. I dunno. Interesting to think about. Being knotty can be so much fun.
Ah... just the thing I was thinking about. The toilet tank thing isn't going very well. I keep messing up the count between the back row dc twisties. Not easy. 12 solid hours yesterday and never got past the first 15 rows. Very sad and frustrating. I'm about ready to go plain but... I really would love to do a filet crocheted rose for it. That would be ornate! I looked up on youtube and the filet crochet looks worse than rocket science.

[quote=RosieoinIdaho;1367269]
Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
Here are three videos by Teresa on the single, half double, and double crochet foundation stitches. This gives your work a more flexible edge. It also saves time by doing the chain and first crochet row in one step.

This is so awesome! I can't believe I have been crocheting for all these years and have never learned these stitches Think of all the time & unraveling I could have saved when doing afghans!
Thank you so much for sharing the links!

My problem is I can't see any links. Have I gone blind or just stupid from crochet fever? I want to do that casting on/first row operation. But thanks a million for the links. Soon as I find them I'm going!
starbuckundomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #44
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

Here are three videos by Teresa on the single, half double, and double crochet foundation stitches. This gives your work a more flexible edge. It also saves time by doing the chain and first crochet row in one step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A83tz...5F0D5&index=76

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEBR6...5F0D5&index=75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCm1m...5F0D5&index=74
Oh, duh... I found 'em! Not the brightest bulb in the drawer here. I feel so privileged to find such a great source of knowledge! Very grateful for this site and you great people.! Many thanks!

eta: I also got an attack site danger warning for hooked on needles, just to let you know.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #45
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Quote:
The toilet tank thing isn't going very well. I keep messing up the count between the back row dc twisties. Not easy. 12 solid hours yesterday and never got past the first 15 rows. Very sad and frustrating. I'm about ready to go plain but...
Is this the one you're doing? http://www.freevintagecrochet.com/ru...let-seat-cover

Old 01-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #46
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Teresa has some really good crochet instruction videos, left hand videos, and project videos. If anybody follows Teresa on Youtube, she used to be tjw1963. Now shes TheCrochetGeek. I was freaking out there for a minute thinking Youtube dumped my subscription, but found her in my list with another name.

I'm not happy with Youtube since Google took over. They dumped half my subscriptions and I had to resubscribe. Of course, most of them were my crochet subscriptions. I wish they'd get their stuff together. They're doing some pretty strange things lately. If you are a poster on Youtube for a knitting or crochet business, check your subscriber numbers. If they went way down that may be what happened. Or why you're not getting new video notifications for your favs.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #47
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Is this the one you're doing? http://www.freevintagecrochet.com/ru...let-seat-cover
I did do a prototype of that one but it looked a bit frumpy so... I got this little pamphlet... which is why it's unavailable now. And in it, I have to do the bp... which I can do, but I keep messing up and putting sometimes three and sometimes one sc between them when I'm doing it in the back when it's supposed to be only two... ONLY TWO! (I keep yelling that at myself in my head)... so I keep working 3 rows and then catch the mistake and have to tear the same three rows out 200 times.

However... I thought of something when I was doing some knitting... a new stitch called seafoam (new for me that is); The pattern makes just a front thingie but my toilet doesn't have any pipes in the back or anything to make only covering the front necessary. Maybe I can add a bunch of stitches so it fits all around, and join the work, work in the round like with circular needles; that way I can always see the work, doing it in the fp position and hopefully eliminating the back mess-ups! Do you thing it would work?

To sum up; It's not the pattern, it's me.

Teresa has some really good crochet instruction videos, left hand videos, and project videos. If anybody follows Teresa on Youtube, she used to be tjw1963. Now shes TheCrochetGeek. I was freaking out there for a minute thinking Youtube dumped my subscription, but found her in my list with another name.

I'm not happy with Youtube since Google took over. They dumped half my subscriptions and I had to resubscribe. Of course, most of them were my crochet subscriptions. I wish they'd get their stuff together. They're doing some pretty strange things lately. If you are a poster on Youtube for a knitting or crochet business, check your subscriber numbers. If they went way down that may be what happened. Or why you're not getting new video notifications for your favs.
Google is like big brother. I don't like them but they are the big clumsy giant that will smash you if you try to get around them. Have you ever tried to contact them? Impossible. They dish it out but never take anything. I think the median age for employees there is like 13.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #48
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for your help, all!
Hi again,

Been away but this is my excuse. This is what I've been able to get made so far. Just finished the toilet lid cover. I ended up making things of my own instead of a pattern. DH made me templates and I crocheted from those. On to washcloths and towels now before doing the tank cover as they are sorely needed. He picked out the colors he wanted, this is for his bathroom. Mine's coming up in the future. Doing his first as it needs it the most.

Have a great week, everyone

I know this doesn't look very good but I can't get photobucket to work right now. If you click on the thumbnail though, it will show you what it's supposed to look like. It's kind of squat here, lol
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	jimmysbathroom-sm.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	56432  
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #49
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Wow! That's great. I like it lots better than the patterns I've seen. You two make a great team!

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
starbuckundomiel (01-31-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #50
Antares
Working the Gusset

Beautiful! Good job on the joint creativity, as well as the execution of this set. It looks like you're really getting the hang of crochet.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
starbuckundomiel (01-31-2013)