Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Sweater Sleeves & Picking Up Stitches
I am looking at a pattern to see if I want to make the sweater and I have a question. This is a one-piece raglan cardigan and you place sleeve stitches on waste yarn before finishing the body. Later you place the sleeve stitches back on your needles and pick up additional stitches to finish the sleeves. When you are placing the stitches on the waste yarn, for each sleeve you place 37 stitches on waste yarn and then cast-on 3 stitches before continuing the body. When you get to the point where you work the sleeves, the pattern says to place the 37 stitches back on your needles and then pick up 5 stitches. My question is about picking up the stitches...how do I pick up 5 stitches where there are only the three stitches you cast on when you laid the sleeve stitches off? I mean, I can probably finagle 5 stitches but is there a "proper" way to do this that will ensure there are no holes, misalignment of rows at the juncture of the body and sleeve, or other disasters? I've looked at videos about picking up stitches but they don't seem to address this issue. Any help appreciated.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Does the pattern specify a cast on method? I've seen (and might find again) instructions for using the backward loop cast on and casting on fewer than you'll need to make it tighter and neater.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
My question is about picking up the stitches...how do I pick up 5 stitches where there are only the three stitches you cast on when you laid the sleeve stitches off? I mean, I can probably finagle 5 stitches but is there a "proper" way to do this that will ensure there are no holes, misalignment of rows at the juncture of the body and sleeve, or other disasters?
This is a way to help make sure there's no gaps or holes. I do it routinely, picking up an extra stitch both before and after the cast on stitches, then decreasing them on the next round. I do them like M1s in the gap between the body stitch and the cast on.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,296 Times in 2,982 Posts
Knitter292009 gave the link to this video which shows how to pick up stitches to knit a thumb. It's very similar to the shoulder/sleeve pick up for raglan sweaters and avoids the hole at either side.
http://knitpurlhunter.com/blog/?p=696
Thanks Knitter292009!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote