Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
Antares
Working the Gusset

I have some of the Knitter's Pride Dreamz DPNs, and I really like them. I also have some fixed circs Cubics (from the same company, I think) and those are nice, too--especially for squares like me.

It would be nice if more LYS had a variety of needles to try before you buy. Of course, then needle manufacturers would lose money on those of us who buy all these different kinds of needles to test drive.

And reading forums like this don't help. They just make you wonder what you're missing and, thus, drive you to the distraction of trying yet another brand!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
I've only ever used Addi circs in single sizes, but I liked them. I personally think Hiya Hiyas are a better value, at least as far as the single length circs go. I have several of them and love 'em.

That said, I notice a clever marketing ploy Hiya Hiya uses in their interchangeable sets. They have 2 sets, large and small, which go from... 2-8 and 9-15 (I think). The marketing trick is that the cables won't swap between the large and small sets. So for someone like me, who rarely uses anything smaller than a US 6, I'm going to wind up either buying stuff I'll rarely or never use, OR spending just as much to get the individual tips and cables for sizes 6-8. And on top of that, they don't include the cable for a 16" length in the set -- 18" is as short as you can go. I'm sure if you asked them, they'd say that even with the 4" tips they'd be too long for a 16" needle. (The tips are available in 4" and 5" lengths, and those DO interchange -- within the same set.)

All of that has me looking at the Knitter's Pride Dreamz interchangeable sets which go from... 4-11 and 13-17 (I think?). I have a couple of single length Dreamz and like them well enough, and my girlfriend has both interchangeable sets and LOVES them.
Ah. The marketing ploy. Probably because you need pretty small cables for size 2 needles.
Someone at my LYS told me that there was some sort of legal thing with knitpicks and knitters pride (I'm pretty sure it was them) about the interchangable sets and that the tips are interchangable between the two brands. Not that that makes the tips similar in any way, I just thought it was interesting (and possibly useful). I haven't tried knitters pride. I mostly have just an ever growing variety of fixed circs. I should get a set before it gets out of hand....
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Lizars1735 View Post
Ah. The marketing ploy. Probably because you need pretty small cables for size 2 needles.
Sure... that's what they want you to think!

Actually, that's the one explanation I can think of that makes sense. Hiya Hiya seems to have hung their hat on small needle sizes (they make them as small as US 00000000 -- or 0.5mm, which is the size of a fine mechanical pencil lead!) And as far as I know, they don't make anything larger than a US 15 (and I'm not 100% sure they even go that large -- they may stop at US 13).

Whatever their reasoning is, the results are effectively the same for my purposes. I'm going to have to buy stuff I don't need or spend almost as much getting the sizes I'd use that aren't included in the large set a la carte. Considering that the sets are $80 each, and I can get the basic Dreamz set for about the same amount, plus another $30-something for the "bulky" add-on set, the KP's soudn like a better deal. Plus I occasionally use US 4's. Not often, but once in a while.

I did NOT know that the Knitpicks tips would interchange with the Knitter's Pride though. That's very interesting.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,504 Posts
Quote:
I did NOT know that the Knitpicks tips would interchange with the Knitter's Pride though. That's very interesting.
I got the sampler sets from Webs and Knit Picks, all pieces are interchangeable which means I have double of some sizes of tips and that's great. I ended up going with Knit Picks because I got free shipping and they had a 20% sale going, when I contacted WEBS they told me they couldn't/wouldn't consider free shipping. I think WEBS doesn't charge me sales tax and Knit Picks does, so the tax/shipping might have been a wash except for the 20% off. I have Cubics fixed circ size 3 and use it but prefer round needles. WEBs have the needle size on the tips but it's too small for me to read and that's not a selling point. Overall it seems that only the names and colors have been changed to protect the guilty. Having black and purple cables can help ID which piece of knitting is next, which needle to use if using 2 circs in the round. The colors on the wooden set from WEBS, as I recall each size was a different color, was something I wanted but in the end decided the Sunstruck set on sale would suit me nicely. It does. Whatever needles you decide to buy, I hope you love them. My one experience with Addi Turbo is forget it, never again. I am so so so glad there are different needles for different knitters and we can each choose what best suits our needs and finances. Now to buy a Powerball ticket so I can keep feeding my knitting addiction.

From the WEBS site:
Quote:
WEBS cannot verify or guarantee that any other company’s needles or cords will work with Knitter’s Pride needles. But if you’ve purchased a Knitter’s Pride product from us, we guarantee the product 100% with our no-questions-asked replacement policy.
And, as always, YMMV.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I got the sampler sets from Webs and Knit Picks, all pieces are interchangeable which means I have double of some sizes of tips and that's great. I ended up going with Knit Picks because I got free shipping and they had a 20% sale going, when I contacted WEBS they told me they couldn't/wouldn't consider free shipping. I think WEBS doesn't charge me sales tax and Knit Picks does, so the tax/shipping might have been a wash except for the 20% off. I have Cubics fixed circ size 3 and use it but prefer round needles. WEBs have the needle size on the tips but it's too small for me to read and that's not a selling point. Overall it seems that only the names and colors have been changed to protect the guilty. Having black and purple cables can help ID which piece of knitting is next, which needle to use if using 2 circs in the round. The colors on the wooden set from WEBS, as I recall each size was a different color, was something I wanted but in the end decided the Sunstruck set on sale would suit me nicely. It does. Whatever needles you decide to buy, I hope you love them. My one experience with Addi Turbo is forget it, never again. I am so so so glad there are different needles for different knitters and we can each choose what best suits our needs and finances. Now to buy a Powerball ticket so I can keep feeding my knitting addiction.

From the WEBS site:

And, as always, YMMV.
I can get the Knitter's Pride sets at the LYS, so shipping isn't an issue for them. I think those are the only interchangeable sets they stock, but I'm pretty sure Mary'd order whatever I wanted. My one knock against the Dreamz in general I might not have even recognized had it not been for the ones I bought single-lengths of. The 10.5 size is a dark brown, almost black, which was exactly what I DIDN'T need for fumbling around with a brown/grey/black marled single-ply alpaca blend. (It's giving me enough trouble as it is!) Though I'm not sure the mirror finish of my stainless steel Hiya Hiyas would have made it substantially easier from that perspective.

I heard a coupe of folks at the LYS talking about one variety of Addi's recently saying they'd "turned green". I assume the nickel plating oxidized or something like that, which you'd think Addi would have foreseen and done something about.

Whatever anybody thinks of them, Addi's are too rich for my blood.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

[quote=GrumpyGramma;1367757] My one experience with Addi Turbo is forget it, never again. I am so so so glad there are different needles for different knitters and we can each choose what best suits our needs and finances. Now to buy a Powerball ticket so I can keep feeding my knitting addiction.

I wholeheartedly agree. Everyone has their own preferences. I think I might get that Knitters Pride sampler from WEBS, just to check that out too. Of course, I could be giving myself too many options to make a decision.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

[quote=Lizars1735;1367776]
My one experience with Addi Turbo is forget it, never again. I am so so so glad there are different needles for different knitters and we can each choose what best suits our needs and finances. Now to buy a Powerball ticket so I can keep feeding my knitting addiction.

I wholeheartedly agree. Everyone has their own preferences. I think I might get that Knitters Pride sampler from WEBS, just to check that out too. Of course, I could be giving myself too many options to make a decision.
Boy, do I hear you there! I finally decided which features mattered most to me and the tapered points on the wooden needles were the main deciding feature. That's where having a metal and wooden set in the same size came in really handy. After that the colors or other features fell into place in an acceptable manner. I liked the lighter color of the Sunstrucks as it's easier to see most colors of yarn against them.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

[quote=GrumpyGramma;1367777]
Originally Posted by Lizars1735 View Post

Boy, do I hear you there! I finally decided which features mattered most to me and the tapered points on the wooden needles were the main deciding feature. That's where having a metal and wooden set in the same size came in really handy. After that the colors or other features fell into place in an acceptable manner. I liked the lighter color of the Sunstrucks as it's easier to see most colors of yarn against them.
For me a flexible cable will compensate for a lot. There's nothing I find more annoying in a circular needle than trying to knit with the approximate equivalent of two sticks glued to a Slinky. Just about anything else I'll deal with -- even if grudgingly. Number two on the list is probably a smooth, well tapered join to the cable. nothing makes Magic Loop less fun than having to fight with the needle you're trying to get back into the stitches. (Of course only PART of that is the needle... most of it is the stitches. )
Old 01-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

[quote=mojo11;1367784]

For me a flexible cable will compensate for a lot. There's nothing I find more annoying in a circular needle than trying to knit with the approximate equivalent of two sticks glued to a Slinky. Just about anything else I'll deal with -- even if grudgingly. Number two on the list is probably a smooth, well tapered join to the cable. nothing makes Magic Loop less fun than having to fight with the needle you're trying to get back into the stitches. (Of course only PART of that is the needle... most of it is the stitches. )

By the time I got to deciding which set to buy and when, the cable question was already settled and between Knit Picks and WEBs brands I could see no appreciable difference. I still have my fat cabled first set but it's not been used since I got what I consider grown up's needles.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
Antares
Working the Gusset

Well, obviously you people who have unloaded needles lying around don't have enough WIPs going. What's the matter with you? Get with the program, boys and girls! All needles should be utilized at all times--otherwise, what excuse will you have for buying more needles?!

Sheesh!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote