Old 01-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I find this thread fascinating. I'd always gotten the feeling that Magic Loop was somehow disdained in the knitting community at large, because I almost never see it referenced in patterns. But it seems it's much more popular than I thought.

Is there a bias toward DPNs in published patterns, or am I just not reading enough of them? Or are the ones I'm seeing just too old to know from ML?

Questions for the ages, I tell ya.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
I find this thread fascinating. I'd always gotten the feeling that Magic Loop was somehow disdained in the knitting community at large, because I almost never see it referenced in patterns. But it seems it's much more popular than I thought.

Is there a bias toward DPNs in published patterns, or am I just not reading enough of them? Or are the ones I'm seeing just too old to know from ML?

Interesting point. And one I never thought about until you just mentioned it. Most small diameter circular patterns I've seen are for dpns. But I have the book Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch, and there are instructions for both dpn and 2 circs, but not magic loop specifically. I suppose that 2 circs and magic loop are pretty much interchangeable as far as patterns are concerned.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post

I'm another one that only uses magic loop. My opinion is that the patterns require certain size circulars and then switch to double points (like for hats) so they can sell you more needles. More needles, more money for the pattern/yarn/needle company. Double points to finish the top of the hat are unnecessary. I use single or traveling loop to do the main body of the hat and switch to magic loop for the decreases. And circulars are attached. No more chasing needles across the floor and digging them out of the sofa.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
I don't agree with that except maybe in the case of patterns from a company that makes them. The majority of patterns I see are just from knitters like all of us.. What needle to use is personal preference.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Pattern companies don't make needles, so that's not a really strong arguement. It's pretty simple really. Needles with really flexible cords are fairly recent, maybe the last 5 years. The Magic Loop booklet which popularized the method was published only 10 years ago, even though some of us had been doing it years before that. We just never thought about printing a book about it.

Dpns have been around forever and were what you used to make socks and hats with, shorter needles have only become readily available in the last 10 years too. So ML is a more recent method of knitting and not a lot of older knitters or patterns will use it, only newer ones. And it is a very personsal preference, both by designers and knitters. Some hate ML and love dpns, some the other way, so there's no real conspiracy by anyone.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

It is probably easier to adapt a pattern from DPN to Magic Loop than it is to go the other way so that DPN is just a standard. But maybe not; that's just my guess.

I learned magic loop first and after three projects I decided I would never knit in the round again. I decided to try again and I am currently working on a project using 5 DPNs; I'm tolerating it. It's not fun for me, but I am less unhappy than I had been with magic loop.

It's all personal preference. I always thought I might like the two circular needle method, but I have not tried it.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
I also recommend trying dpns on an established piece like the top of a hat. They start out stable and don't want to flop around the way they do when you first start out.

I prefer them over magic loop in most cases because it's basically just knitting--no fussing around.

I like knitting sleeves on two circs, though, when they're attached to the sweater--just have to flip the sleeves rather than twirling the whole sweater.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
Rie (01-24-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,192 Times in 2,695 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Pattern companies don't make needles, so that's not a really strong arguement. It's pretty simple really. Needles with really flexible cords are fairly recent, maybe the last 5 years. The Magic Loop booklet which popularized the method was published only 10 years ago, even though some of us had been doing it years before that. We just never thought about printing a book about it.

Dpns have been around forever and were what you used to make socks and hats with, shorter needles have only become readily available in the last 10 years too. So ML is a more recent method of knitting and not a lot of older knitters or patterns will use it, only newer ones. And it is a very personsal preference, both by designers and knitters. Some hate ML and love dpns, some the other way, so there's no real conspiracy by anyone.

Darn it, no conspiracy. Good grief.

I think that a lot of people don't have interchangeable sets and do have dpns in the same size as their fixed circulars. For them switching to dpn would make sense. The little I have done with dpn makes me think it's no big deal once you get used to it. There have been a lot of lovely knitted pieces produced on dpn. It was only when I saw how quickly the price of buying different sizes of needles was adding up, along with reading about the sets of needles with different cable lengths here, that I even considered buying an entire set.

Variety is the spice of life.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #19
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I think that a lot of people don't have interchangeable sets and do have dpns in the same size as their fixed circulars.
Oh yeah, I forgot about interchangeables for 2 circ knitting. They haven't been as affordable and readily available very long either. I do have multiple circs in the sizes I use a lot, half the time they're holding a WIP though, but can use them if I need 2 the same size.

Quote:
Variety is the spice of life.
Oui, vive le difference!!

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by MrsJacks View Post
It helped that I already knew how to knit in the round on fixed circulars. After that, I learned how to knit socks using the 4 DPN method (three needles holding stitches and one working needle), because it seemed less overwhelming and I used Silver's Sock Class. and sport weight yarn. I got it right on the first try.

If DPNs aren't really your thing, you could learn Magic Loop, which uses only one pair of long (32" or longer) circular needles. Once I learned ML, I never used DPNs again.
Yes, I highly recommend Silver's...great video

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote