Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by dudeKnit View Post
I could go larger, I don't have larger DPN's though and sorta had my heart set on doing that method vs working from a circle. I did pick up an interchangable kit at LYS wife wasn't too keen on that $90 later, but it does have the equivalent of 21 needles vs $10 per needle set.
You'd only need the DPNs when you were doing the very top of the crown, and (as has been discussed at length in another thread) you don't actually need them even then. There are other (and IMO easier) ways to do small-diameter circular work. I don't think even the hardcore proponents of DPNs for small diameter work would normally do an entire hat on them. Though you certainly could.

If you were keen on the DPNs just to learn the technique, you don't have to do a whole hat for that. I'd suggest trying both ways on a practice swatch and see which you feel more comfortable with. The results are the same either way, you just have fewer joins working with a circular needle. If you're dividing your stitches among 3 needles, that means three joins in every round as opposed to one (or two when you get to the top, if you do Magic Loop or use 2 circulars).

Besides, you have that keen interchangeable set might as well make it earn its keep. And depending on the way the cables are set up, you might have MORE than 21 sets there. Some sets come with (or have available as an add on) connectors that will allow you to join multiple cables together to make a longer cable. Figuring out how many sets that makes is more math than I wanna do in my head. But it's a lot.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote