Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
Finding Amy's videos when I need them
Is there a way to search for a particular video on this site? I haven't found a way to do it. I never seem to be able to find the video I want, when I want it. If I go to the Knitting Help youtube channel I can search and usually find it, but I'd really like to not have to do it that way. What am I missing?

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Is there a way to search for a particular video on this site? I haven't found a way to do it. I never seem to be able to find the video I want, when I want it. If I go to the Knitting Help youtube channel I can search and usually find it, but I'd really like to not have to do it that way. What am I missing?
I suppose you (the Royal "You") could copy all of the kinks into a blog thread... if you have that kind of patience.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
There's a video tab at the top of the page... Mostly the sections are self explanatory. Increases, decreases, cast ons and advanced techniques like fair isle, intarsia, DPN, etc. Tips are fixing mistakes, joining, center pull ball,... You remember them on your own after awhile.

I don't use YouTube for KH videos. I use the app or the forum video tab.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Do you have an example? I went to the search box and the very top of the screen (all the way to the right) and typed in:

video: cast on

...and it came back with a list of videos about casting on.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (02-27-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
But not all the videos are listed on the video page. On the Increases page there used to be links to the purl increases below the descriptions and link for the knit ones. I've asked if those links can be put in somewhere because telling someone that m1p is the same as m1k except you purl it often doesn't work for everyone.

The Glossary page also has links to many of the videos that aren't covered by the main Video pages - ptbl, double decreases, k-b for k1below and several others. That's probably the best index we have though.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
But not all the videos are listed on the video page. On the Increases page there used to be links to the purl increases below the descriptions and link for the knit ones. I've asked if those links can be put in somewhere because telling someone that m1p is the same as m1k except you purl it often doesn't work for everyone.

The Glossary page also has links to many of the videos that aren't covered by the main Video pages - ptbl, double decreases, k-b for k1below and several others. That's probably the best index we have though.
Usually search functions search the whole site, or at least offer the option of searching the whole site. Try it with a video you know isn't on the video tab and see if it gives you the results you expect.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
Usually search functions search the whole site, or at least offer the option of searching the whole site. Try it with a video you know isn't on the video tab and see if it gives you the results you expect.
Oh I'm sure. I was replying to Jan's post to go to the Video tabs and see the links to the different sections there - Cast ons, Knit, Purl, Increases, Decreases, Cast off, Tips and Advanced Techniques. I still have trouble remembering if certain videos I know are here are on the Tips or Adv Techniques page

Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I hadn't noticed that, Sue. I see there are some links on the glossary page though so that is certainly something to check if you don't find what you want. The app has some on the specific section fortunately.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
I decided to try the circular gauge swatch video and tried searching for it, no videos came up but there were threads. I think I'm just dense. I never remember which section some videos are in. The cast ons or increases and decreases are pretty easy to find but some are just more elusive. I'll just not worry about it and post links for whatever videos I find. It's just that I'd rather post links for KH videos whenever I can.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Try the Tips page for it, maybe Adv Techniques.