Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #21
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by dudeKnit View Post
I could go larger, I don't have larger DPN's though and sorta had my heart set on doing that method vs working from a circle. I did pick up an interchangable kit at LYS wife wasn't too keen on that $90 later, but it does have the equivalent of 21 needles vs $10 per needle set.
You'd only need the DPNs when you were doing the very top of the crown, and (as has been discussed at length in another thread) you don't actually need them even then. There are other (and IMO easier) ways to do small-diameter circular work. I don't think even the hardcore proponents of DPNs for small diameter work would normally do an entire hat on them. Though you certainly could.

If you were keen on the DPNs just to learn the technique, you don't have to do a whole hat for that. I'd suggest trying both ways on a practice swatch and see which you feel more comfortable with. The results are the same either way, you just have fewer joins working with a circular needle. If you're dividing your stitches among 3 needles, that means three joins in every round as opposed to one (or two when you get to the top, if you do Magic Loop or use 2 circulars).

Besides, you have that keen interchangeable set might as well make it earn its keep. And depending on the way the cables are set up, you might have MORE than 21 sets there. Some sets come with (or have available as an add on) connectors that will allow you to join multiple cables together to make a longer cable. Figuring out how many sets that makes is more math than I wanna do in my head. But it's a lot.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yeah, unless you're a loose knitter, that seems like it's going to be too tight. If you are getting 6 - 8 sts per inch, it's much much too small. If you use a size 6, that should get you the 5 sts per inch the pattern calls for - 22 sts/4".

I don't know why you seem to want to use the size 4s with the #4/worsted weight yarn. You would normally use a size 7 to 9 with that yarn. The hat is knit denser than normal, so using a size 6 would help.

And if you do tend to knit tight (garrote the yarn) then a size 8 would probably do better. Don't pull on the yarn after you've made the new stitch and pulled it through the old one. It'll probably seem weird and loose to you, but making the next stitch will tighten up the previous one. Practice this on some other yarn or with your gauge sample. Tight stitches make it hard to get gauge and is very hard on your hands after a while; knitting should be easy and relaxing, not tense. Even stitches will actually happen when you relax your tension after a little practice, then washing the finished item evens them out further.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I don't know why you seem to want to use the size 4s with the #4/worsted weight yarn. You would normally use a size 7 to 9 with that yarn. The hat is knit denser than normal, so using a size 6 would help. And if you do tend to knit tight (garrote the yarn) then a size 8 would probably do better.
I'd probably start with 8's too. The pattern says US 5's, which I think is what he was using, but that's way too small for my comfort. Even a 6 would be pretty tight. That's what I used on the Hockey Chicken, and it had to hold in stuffing.

I had a tendency to give a little extra tug on the yarn post-stitch (and still catch myself doing it on purls), but my bigger problem was pulling the yarn down tight before pulling the stitch through. By the time I did that, the die was cast, so it really didn't matter if I tugged on it after the fact or not. I've managed to pretty much conquer that one, and the difference is nothing short of astonishing.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
Antares
Working the Gusset

Here's another thought: What cast-on method are you using? Some are tighter and less flexible than others. Of the common cast on methods, the long tail cast on is, I believe, the most flexible.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #25
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
ETA: Found it! On youtube I could search to find it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivCho4KvB3g
Uh, ya, I posted a link to this earlier in this thread.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #26
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I almost always use long tail. For hems I use a provisional cast on and for something that needs to be super stretchy I sometimes use German twisted. 99% of the time I use LT though.

GG I used the search box at the top in red to search circular gauge and the video was at the top of the results.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm stitching for cast on, I've tried the long tail and it doesn't seem to work well for me.

Here is my DPN round cast on row. About 9 sts per inch.

I'll be redoing this one no doubt.

And the infamous scarf.

dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #28
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I don't know how some of these yarn companies set the yarn thickness. Lion One Pound says worsted weight, but it's more like a sport weight. Knit Picks Wool of the Andes was supposed to be a worsted weight, but ended up being a light worsted weight, whatever that is. It's more like a sport. I grabbed two Red Heart Supersavers the other day. Both worsteds. The solid color is thicker than the variegated. Sheesh! All I can say is, you've got to swatch, swatch, swatch anything you're not familiar with.

The needle you use depends on if you're a tight or loose knitter. The general range in this pattern is #6-8 needle depending on your personal gauge. I did notice a problem with this pattern also. I would say to only do one straight stockinette stitch row after each decrease rather than the two called for in the pattern. Mine turned out rather tall and pointy like an elf hat.
dudeKnit (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #29
suzeeq
Knit On!

Okay, you can't get proper gauge from just the Cast on as stitches are tighter there than they will be when you knit them, they would measure about 80% of what the finishes stitches will. And one row won't be accurate either, you need at least a couple of inches.

So here's what you do since you're going to redo it anyway --
CO about 24 sts to just one needle, knit across it, then slide the stitches back to the beginning of it (which you probably won't need to as they'll pretty well fill it up). Then leaving the yarn from the end of the row loose across the back (very loose) knit another row. Repeat for about 3". This method mimics knitting in the round but lies flat so you can get a good measurement on it. The stitches at the edges are going to be very very loose, so don't use them at all, just measure 2 or 3 inches across in the middle. That should be enough to tell you what your gauge is.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
dudeKnit (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #30
suzeeq
Knit On!

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I don't know how some of these yarn companies set the yarn thickness. Lion One Pound says worsted weight, but it's more like a sport weight.
Are you confusing Caron's One Pound which is a full worsted, with Lion's Pound of Love though it does seem to be a thinner weight.

Quote:
Knit Picks Wool of the Andes was supposed to be a worsted weight, but ended up being a light worsted weight, whatever that is. It's more like a sport. I grabbed two Red Heart Supersavers the other day. Both worsteds. The solid color is thicker than the variegated. Sheesh! All I can say is, you've got to swatch, swatch, swatch anything you're not familiar with.
WoTA is like a worsted to me, but RHSS is more of an aran, especially the 25 year old variety I'm using now, it's like a light bulky. You're skipping over dk which comes between sport and worsted and is sometimes like a thinner worsted.