Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #31
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Your scarf looks OK! The stitches do look tight, but as I understand you're using a very small needle for the yarn and you do the garrotte thing. As pointed out, you need several inches to get an accurate stitch count. Do yourself a favor and work on loosening up a bit.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #32
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Are you confusing Caron's One Pound which is a full worsted, with Lion's Pound of Love though it does seem to be a thinner weight.

WoTA is like a worsted to me, but RHSS is more of an aran, especially the 25 year old variety I'm using now, it's like a light bulky. You're skipping over dk which comes between sport and worsted and is sometimes like a thinner worsted.
My LB Pound of Love label states: Super Soft 4 ply knitting worsted weight. Yes, it is much thinner than Caron's One Pound. RHSS is something of a crap shoot IMHO; the variegateds almost always have some very, very thin and really thick parts and it seems to me that the colors are connected to the variations; one color will be fatter than another and some are much softer than others. Currently I've decided I like the RH With Love. I've not used a lot of it but so far it's soft and I've not seen the thick-thin-medium-very thin-very-thick stuff going on.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #33
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

The scarf is not so bad, for that it's a number 4 yarn and I'm using either number 6 or 7 needles, my stitches for that feel just right and I actually didn't choke the needles to death.

I didn't work on the hat last night. I spent a bit too much time working on the scarf, got that red section finished and started on the next purple segment. I'm averaging about an inch to an inch+ per week night on it.

런닝맨
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #34
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I don't think I've ever seen a dk weight in my area stores. But yes, I have used both Caron One Pound and Pound of Love. You're right, there's a big difference. Question? Does dk weight have a number, like a 3 or 4 in the standard symbols? Is this somewhere in between the two?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #35
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

As to the needle size, #5 is way too small for a worsted weight yarn. I used to make convertible mittens this way a few years ago. The pattern called for it and I didn't know any better because I was still a novice knitter. You can do it, but not without a lot of cranking to actually knit the stitches and a few curse words thrown in. I now knit these on a #8 and have modified the pattern to suit me. If you're getting 6-8 stitches per inch, this is more along the lines of a #1 to a #3 needle. Six stitches per inch is about what my LYS recommended for knitting socks on a #3 needle with thinner sock or fingering yarn. This would be about a #1 or #2 in the weight classification on the label.

Edit: Reminds me, I need to finish the convertible mittens I'm doing. The ones I made several years ago have worn out and my son asked me to knit another pair for his girlfriend.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #36
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
They usually put DK in the 3 class I think as a lot of it is thinner than worsted, though I've had some that's as thick as a worsted.

Some patterns will call for worsted knit on a size 5 or 6 to make a really dense knit, like for socks or mittens, even hats.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote