salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Getting Started
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...r-gauge-swatch
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-23-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Try the Tips page for it, maybe Adv Techniques.
I have a very short attention span and find it I forget what I was looking for or get sidetracked. I'll just stick with youtube in the main. It's not a big deal to me, I was just curious.

Thanks to everyone who has responded!

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,485 Times in 529 Posts
The videos should come up near the top of the search results, but you have to make sure you are using the site search and not the forum search. The site search is in the upper right corner across the top of all the pages on the site (the red bar). If you use the forum search it will only give you forum posts and threads.

Now that said, the site search does leave something to be desired. We are planning on rolling our own search (right now we outsource that to google) with the plan of making the search more accurate and useful, particularly when it comes to finding specific vides by name, aka, and abbreviation. The KH iPhone app is much better than the website in this regard and our hope is to bring the search features of the app to the website.

The site currently has 163 videos (and growing)! So we definitely want to make it easier for folks to find things.

Thanks for your patience as we work and re-work things on KnittingHelp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sheldon For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-24-2013), Jan in CA (01-23-2013), salmonmac (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #14
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Sheldon, thank you for your personal attention and reply. I hope you understand that I wasn't complaining. I really thought I was missing something. I think I used the wrong Search field too. No matter how well planned and run a site is, you can't ID10T proof it. I really like Amy's videos so much I like to make sure others get to see them too. We all know Knitting Help is the best!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I decided to try the circular gauge swatch video and tried searching for it, no videos came up but there were threads. I think I'm just dense. I never remember which section some videos are in. The cast ons or increases and decreases are pretty easy to find but some are just more elusive. I'll just not worry about it and post links for whatever videos I find. It's just that I'd rather post links for KH videos whenever I can.
I put in video: gauge in the red search box at the very top of the page (located above all the tabs, just below the red banner with Knitting Help ads) and got this:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/search-r...auge&sa=Search

There some google ads at the top, but the first link right below those is Circular Gauge Swatch | KnittingHelp.com, "How to knit a gauge swatch for your “knit in the round” project. Also a couple of tips for skipping the gauge swatch altogether! Category: knitting in the round ..."

I hope that helps.

I use this technique for google searches too; you can put in a website, with a colon, and google will only search there rather than the entire internet.

knittinghelp: gauge video => https://www.google.com/search?q=knit...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Second item from the top.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,485 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Sheldon, thank you for your personal attention and reply. I hope you understand that I wasn't complaining. I really thought I was missing something. I think I used the wrong Search field too. No matter how well planned and run a site is, you can't ID10T proof it. I really like Amy's videos so much I like to make sure others get to see them too. We all know Knitting Help is the best!
No, I definitely didn't take it as a complaint. I am glad you brought up this discussion as it's something that has been bothering me. The site has grown a lot over the years and new content has been added. This is great for folks who browse the site. But, as you found out, it can be hard for people to find a specific video they once saw somewhere on the site. We want KnittingHelp.com to be people's GoTo site for knitting help. So any feedback we receive from users to facilitate that is more than welcome! Thank you!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Sheldon, if you want someone to test drive something to see if just about anyone could use it easily, let me know. Obviously I'm not adept at figuring these things out.

ETA: The search box at the very top of the page doesn't work for me, it must be a browser setting or something, I find the same problem with my FF at ravelry. I thought it might be 3rd party cookies but they are enabled, I just checked. The "form" part of the page shows but no search results.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Maybe it's what you use for search words? I just typed in 'video m1p' and got lots of results but they were all for forum threads, not the videos themselves. Using 'purl decrease' brought up the videos for SSP, and another left slanting purl dec. 'Purl increase' brings up pfb both english and continental. It's searching on the descriptions written for the videos rather than by name I think. So you have to be very specific in the words used. 'Circular Gauge swatch video' brings up a link to standard knitting in the round, not the flat knit swatch.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanks, Sue, but it doesn't matter what I search on, I get white space and that's all. It's something I've set in my browser or an extension or something, I just don't know what. My son could help me figure it out, I expect it's a privacy thing since I am paranoid and go to extremes. I just save Chrome for things like that and don't use it for online banking or ordering from Knit Picks or anything else I feel really wary about. That didn't stop someone from using my debit card fraudulently but the bank didn't think it had anything to do with being online.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Did you scroll down and/or wait a few seconds? I thought I was getting nothing, then after a couple seconds there were results, especially scrolling down. The page was waiting for the links to other sites to load, then so did the rest of the links.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote