Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Yes, I highly recommend Silver's...great video
DPN's all the way, ML is very awkward to me..the tricky part is getting getting the "join"... May I suggest start with Large dpn's ( US 10 or up), thick yarn and a good video...that way you can "see" the concept.

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

May I suggest start with Large dpn's ( US 10 or up), thick yarn and a good video...that way you can "see" the concept.
I'd recommend large needles and thick yarn for learning (almost) ANY technique. (I'm sure there are exceptions, don't get excited...)

I suspect that DPNs are simply the lowest common denominator, which is why pattern writers favor them. Well, that and probably the really big name pattern writers have probably been doing this for decades or learned at the feet of someone who has, so that's what they know. No tin foil hats required here.

Personally, I'm perfectly content to consign DPNs to the realm of I cord and cables and the occasional piece of flat knitting or repair work. There are times when they're uniquely suited to a particular purpose, but given another option I'll use it. Because I have enough trouble with stitches falling off ONE end of a needle -- I don't need to increase the chances of that happening any further.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #23
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
I'd recommend large needles and thick yarn for learning (almost) ANY technique. (I'm sure there are exceptions, don't get excited...)

I suspect that DPNs are simply the lowest common denominator, which is why pattern writers favor them. Well, that and probably the really big name pattern writers have probably been doing this for decades or learned at the feet of someone who has, so that's what they know. No tin foil hats required here.

Personally, I'm perfectly content to consign DPNs to the realm of I cord and cables and the occasional piece of flat knitting or repair work. There are times when they're uniquely suited to a particular purpose, but given another option I'll use it. Because I have enough trouble with stitches falling off ONE end of a needle -- I don't need to increase the chances of that happening any further.
..not sure what all the "hype" is regarding patterns etc..The question in this thread is "how to use dpn's" and BTW I happen to own 5 metal (sticks,used as needles), US...000 from the early 1930's used for sock knitting (or any small diameter knitting)

Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

I wanted to learn to knit socks, so I bought a book (Ann Budd Getting Started Knitting Socks) and went to JoAnns and bought some cheap yarn and a couple of pairs of dpns. I'm not an advanced knitter and haven't tried lots of different needles and lots of different techniques so I just did what the book told me! You only use two needles at a time anyway, the rest just holds the stitches not being worked, and I've never had an issue with the stitches dropping off the ends of the unused needles either. I started with bamboo needles as they're more grabby and I've only just very recently bought a couple of pairs of metal ones. I would just try it and see, it took me months to pluck up the courage to try and now I wonder why I wasted so much time and made so much fuss!!

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag for Me
A Nice Ribbed Sock for Him - Yay, finished!
Three Leaf Clover Rib Socks for Me
Cathedral Grove Socks for Me
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #25
cheley
Working the Gusset

..not sure what all the "hype" is regarding patterns etc..The question in this thread is "how to use dpn's" and BTW I happen to own 5 metal (sticks,used as needles), US...000 from the early 1930's used for sock knitting (or any small diameter knitting)
Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post

Please explain to me WTH you are talking about...yes, it's knitting and no "tin foil hats ARE NOT required" ...No, we didn't acquire a PHD in this craft, but this site just happens to be "light", fun and enjoyable.. oh and informative too.. ....I knit for fun and relaxation...AND TO TAKE A PIECE OF STRING AND MAKE A BEAUTIFUL, EVERLASTING ITEM FROM IT...

Old 01-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Quote:
I decided to try again and I am currently working on a project using 5 DPNs; I'm tolerating it. It's not fun for me,
I just wanted to suggest you try 4 dpns, in case you haven't heard of that or tried it. Some people find one or the other method to be much easier for them personally than the other. It seems like such a small thing that it couldn't matter, but it does, for some of us at least. I prefer 4 unless there is a real need for the extra needle.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
I like knitting sleeves on two circs, though, when they're attached to the sweater--just have to flip the sleeves rather than twirling the whole sweater.
You have just given me a great reason to try knitting on two circs! I hate knitting sleeves down from a sweater - all that twisting!
Well, Well, I'm gonna go look for a video on this!
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #28
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
I just wanted to suggest you try 4 dpns, in case you haven't heard of that or tried it. Some people find one or the other method to be much easier for them personally than the other. It seems like such a small thing that it couldn't matter, but it does, for some of us at least. I prefer 4 unless there is a real need for the extra needle.
It's not the number of needles, it's that I really don't like knitting in the round. However, I find the multiple needles easier to manipulate than the cable, so I *almost* enjoy it. It's better too since I passed the ribbing and am doing all knit stitches now.

Thanks for the suggestion, although I really don't want to drop any of my needles. I hold two needles alongside each other to do the stitches from one needle to the next, with the other two needles forming a triangle, and I don't think that would work as well with one less needle.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
Antares
Working the Gusset

I actually prefer using 5 DPNs, so try both 4 and 5 needles and see what you like.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #30
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,738 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
It's not the number of needles, it's that I really don't like knitting in the round. However, I find the multiple needles easier to manipulate than the cable, so I *almost* enjoy it. It's better too since I passed the ribbing and am doing all knit stitches now.

Thanks for the suggestion, although I really don't want to drop any of my needles. I hold two needles alongside each other to do the stitches from one needle to the next, with the other two needles forming a triangle, and I don't think that would work as well with one less needle.

I'm trying to picture how you hold the needles alongside each other. Unless your needles are extremely slippery your stitches should stay put after a few rounds. IME even with aluminum dpn they will stay where they're supposed to.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote