Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #21
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,724 Times in 2,292 Posts
No matter what I try to search for the Search field is emptied and I get white space. Searching for a video will take me to the Videos page. This attempt was done from the Home page, the terms were "video: gauge". I accept that I have settings that are incompatible and that's OK. It could even be something to do with my Linux OS but since Chrome works for searches I don't think so. Waiting minutes makes no difference.

I don't expect modifications for my individual situation. I make choices about how I use the web and I deal with what does and doesn't work right. Later I may try changing some things to see if I can figure out my situation. Till then, all's good.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.

Last edited by GrumpyGramma : 05-07-2013 at 10:14 PM.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #22
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's what I get for a second or two. What version FF are you using? I have 3.6 or something and from what I hear about the next version, I don't wanna upgrade at all. Or are you using Chrome? Try another browser.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
No matter what I try to search for the Search field is emptied and I get white space. Searching for a video will take me to the Videos page. This attempt was done from the Home page, the terms were "video: gauge". I accept that I have settings that are incompatible and that's OK. It could even be something to do with my Linux OS but since Chrome works for searches I don't think so. Waiting minutes makes no difference.

I don't expect modifications for my individual situation. I make choices about how I use the web and I deal with what does and doesn't work right. Later I may try changing some things to see if I can figure out my situation. Till then, all's good.
You probably have an ad block setting. When you do a search, the first thing to come up is a box of other website ads, then if you scroll down below that you see search results. Do you still get nothing when you scroll? A lot of ad block software will just leave empty space where an ad would be.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanks for trying to help me with this. Now I'm in Chrome. Search tells me "Loading"....Several minutes later, nothing has changed. LOL I just noticed the animated emoticons are animated in Chrome and they haven't been in FF for a while now. My FF is 18.0.1 Mozilla Firfox for Linux Mint - 1.0..

I'll play around with my extensions/add ons and see what I can figure out. We'd rather be knitting, wouldn't we? I feel like people are spending too much time on this. Please, I don't want to be a pita.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #25
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Thanks for trying to help me with this. Now I'm in Chrome. Search tells me "Loading"....Several minutes later, nothing has changed. LOL I just noticed the animated emoticons are animated in Chrome and they haven't been in FF for a while now. My FF is 18.0.1 Mozilla Firfox for Linux Mint - 1.0..

I'll play around with my extensions/add ons and see what I can figure out. We'd rather be knitting, wouldn't we? I feel like people are spending too much time on this. Please, I don't want to be a pita.
You're not being a pita if people want to try to help. Besides, I'm at work so I can't knit. I'm surprised that chrome doesn't work because the search is a google powered search. So check google settings, and good luck with it. I found a lot of interesting videos while trying to help in your search problem.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizars1735 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-24-2013), suzeeq (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #26
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,470 Times in 527 Posts
One thing to check is to see whether or not your have javascript disabled. Recently we have seen some people mistakenly disable javascript because there was a recent report about an exploit in Java and the recommendation was to disable Java immediately.

Javascript and Java are two completely different things. Disabling Java is prudent and recommended. Disabling javascript isn't recommended and can cause many modern website not to work properly.

We routinely tested KnittingHelp.com on the most popular browsers to ensure things work as they should. Sometimes we miss something or sometimes a new browser comes out and causes something to act weird. But as of recently, the site, including search, should work on great on the usual suspects of browsers: IE, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.

I am planning on pushing up our schedule for having a video search implemented into KH. I may try to cobble together a quick beta in the next few days and release it. I will let you know by posting here.

Cheers!

Sheldon
Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #27
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanks again, Sheldon. I now know what keeps me from using the site search and I know what to do to make it work, the question now, is will I do it? I have to figure out how to whitelist for the search and as it's google my DS who has run gaming sites tells me it might not whitelist specifically for this site. As I said, I make my choices and live with the results. For right now I think I'll stick with the youtube channel and find the videos there.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #28
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,470 Times in 527 Posts
I just started a new thread announcing our newest feature, the KH video index. But I thought I would post in here as well since this was the thread that spurred the innovation. Here's the link:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/index

We hope you like it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheldon For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-26-2013), Jan in CA (01-26-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #29
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

'nuff said.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #30
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Originally Posted by sheldon View Post
there was a recent report about an exploit in Java and the recommendation was to disable Java immediately.

Javascript and Java are two completely different things. Disabling Java is prudent and recommended.
What does Java do? And how do you disable it?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote