Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

In my experience, the Happy Buddah Belly is an indispensable knitting aid! Like those wrist supports that people use who do a lot of data entry and so forth. Plus, it's a built in table for the cable needle, crochet hook or stitch marker I'm not using right this moment, but will need again shortly.

Never underestimate the power of the belly!
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

This thread amused me, not because the needles broke but because I found a couple of kindred spirits in the use of the tum when knitting! I have the weirdest knitting technique (according to other knitters) whereby I balance the right hand needle in an upright position on my tum, I think it's because I'd only used longer needles that tuck under my elbows leaving my hands mostly free for knitting. I found the dpns (7") so short and I'm not used to holding needles with my hands! This was my answer, although later in the evening when I've changed for bed I do find that the pointed end of the dpns needle goes straight through my jersey knitted pj's and I keep stabbing myself in the belly!!

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Performing seppuku on oneself while knitting is less than desirable. Though it does make for some redder than reds!

런닝맨
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

I bought bamboo circs from Ebay
about a year ago, and they have that clear plastic tubing between them, and are interchangeable, and with different lengths of tubing (bought that at the auto parts store), I can make my needles the length I need them to be for the pattern. I just don't like them because they are bamboo, and unlike most early knitters, I need those stitches to slide freely, was thinking of using a very fine sandpaper on them and then putting wax on them to make them less "grabby", but have not tried it yet.
Paulaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've found the wood gets 'polished' the more you use them. My clover needles were a bit grabby when I first got them, but after using them, they're quite smooth, and while not as slick as metal ones, the stitches move easily.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Paulaque View Post
about a year ago, and they have that clear plastic tubing between them, and are interchangeable, and with different lengths of tubing (bought that at the auto parts store), I can make my needles the length I need them to be for the pattern. I just don't like them because they are bamboo, and unlike most early knitters, I need those stitches to slide freely, was thinking of using a very fine sandpaper on them and then putting wax on them to make them less "grabby", but have not tried it yet.
I think I'd avoid the wax, and maybe the sandpaper too. Wax will sink into the pores of the wood (which is what it's supposed to do) and very possibly transfer to your yarn as you work it. And it doesn't wash out of fabric very well. Sandpaper -- even very fine sandpaper -- will open new grain in the wood, which might actually make it more "grabby". What you might try instead is fine steel wool. That will peel off the microscopic slivers on the surface, but leave the existing grain intact. Pay attention that you don't leave any steel wool fibers behind though, or you could wind up with "bonus fiber" in your work. Use the finest you can find, stainless if it's available, and you'll probably want to wear gloves while you're working with it. Nothing's more bothersome than a sliver of steel in your finger.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I just got my new Addi Lace Short interchangeable set last week.
Loving them. It's so nice when I'm working on baby/toddler things that I can change the cable to a shorter length without having to change needles.
I have had one of the cables come loose while knitting, but think it was the way I was holding the needle. I think I was accidently pushing on the area where the needle and cord connect and since that is how you disconnect the cord it was doing what it was supposed to, just not when it was supposed to. Now that I am aware of that I haven't had any more problems with the needles.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Wax paper can be used to coat needles. It's not as heavy as plain wax, and the wood will absorb it and not leave as much residue to transfer to the yarn. The oils from your skin will help too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Rie (02-02-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by butlersabroad View Post
This thread amused me, not because the needles broke but because I found a couple of kindred spirits in the use of the tum when knitting! I have the weirdest knitting technique (according to other knitters) whereby I balance the right hand needle in an upright position on my tum, I think it's because I'd only used longer needles that tuck under my elbows leaving my hands mostly free for knitting. I found the dpns (7") so short and I'm not used to holding needles with my hands! This was my answer, although later in the evening when I've changed for bed I do find that the pointed end of the dpns needle goes straight through my jersey knitted pj's and I keep stabbing myself in the belly!!
I, also, am glad to not be alone stabbing myself with knitting needles. I have to do the same balancing on the belly with the right needle when I purl English style. I've switched to continental, but I haven't managed to figure out how to maneuver dpn's and knit continental, so I still do that English style and with very skinny pointy sock needles....ouch!
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by dudeKnit View Post
Performing seppuku on oneself while knitting is less than desirable. Though it does make for some redder than reds!
It's the entrails that get to me.