Old 01-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

What have I gotten myself into!
I did it. I picked up a crochet hook. My friend is a self taught crochet person and taught me a single crochet yesterday. Last night all I did was work on a dishcloth. I kept decreasing and had a triangle so started over and over and over, until finally I came out with something that is presentable. I will post a photo later, but now I'm interested in learning more techniques. She began to teach me how to crochet in a circle today, a bit tricker with a double crochet. As if knitting wasn't enough for me.

My Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/people/AngelLoveBug
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Ahhh! So you've been bitten by the crochet bug, eh? Nothing wrong with that. It's a great craft to learn! You'll probably pick it up quickly since you seem to have taken to knitting so well.

I actually crochet a lot faster than I knit, but there are those who disagree with me for sure. And rather than thinking of this as adding more hobbies to your already busy life, consider it as adding new tools to the toolbox--it's always handy to know how to do something in more than one way!

Enjoy!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

I think it's good to know the basic's of crochet if you're a knitter or vise versa, I've seen a lot of patterns that say "Now grab your crochet hook"

I do like the way that crochet looks though. I don't know how far I'll go with it since I am just moving past beginner in knitting, I'd call myself intermediate. Here is the result of the dishcloth. Some mistakes but not too shabby.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	dishcloth.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	56433  

My Ravelry
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Antares
Working the Gusset

There are only about five or six stitches in crochet to learn and once you understand them, you're really past the basics. Oh, and many stitches (particularly, the triple crochet, double triple crochet, and so on) are just a derivative of a double crochet. The change comes in the number of times you wrap the yarn around the hook to begin with and how many loops you pull it through to complete the stitch . . . . so same song, just a bit more of it, if you will.

I like the look of crochet, too, and there are all kinds of stitch patterns to choose from. If you flip through a crochet stitch book, you might be surprised at the variety of patterns you can achieve with crochet. And almost all of those patterns use the same basic five or six stitches.

Your dishcloth looks great! I don't see any mistakes! Very impressive for your first crochet project!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
That looks good!

Crochet was my first entanglement with yarn. If you scroll down to post #30 and find my photo in this thread, you can see part of an afghan I crocheted. If you're interested.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Antares
Working the Gusset

That's a very pretty afghan, GG (and the socks are lovely, too)!
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-30-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

(That IS a gorgeous afgan, GG... wow!)

Anyway, just a wave to Lovebug and to say that's a great washcloth. I am brand new to crochet, too, except for the sc edging in knitting patterns like you mentioned. I'm really enjoying it. I love the lacy edging stitches and am wanting to get some books from amazon payday on different lacy edgings. I do the same thing with the accidental decreasing --and increasing at times too, but got lots of help here.

It's that the last stitch on the row is smaller and easily lost or thought to be part of the edge, and I still have troubles determining if It's the stitch or not. I count every row after I've done it to make sure. Tedious but I imagine that I'll get to figure it out automatically one day. I'm better at spotting the first stitch now... it looks like a triangle to me. Otherwise I would skip it a lot and have to redo.

So we'll be learning together. Hope you continue and have lots of fun. Looking forward to seeing the pics. I wish I had more time to be here and see all the projects. Well, have a great day!
starbuckundomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starbuckundomiel For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-31-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

I went ahead and bought a little book by patons on crocheting and I am so darn lost. The instructions stink! Not sure if crochet is going to be the thing for me.

My Ravelry
Old 02-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
MGM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by LoveBugAngel View Post
I went ahead and bought a little book by patons on crocheting and I am so darn lost. The instructions stink! Not sure if crochet is going to be the thing for me.
Oh no! Don't give up! Check out my video tutorials http://www.hookedonneedles.com/ by clicking on the crochet link on my sidebar. Step by step, one stitch at a time, just like we are sitting together crocheting!

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Where are you hung up? Are you wanting to go on or lose the book and hook? Seriously, if you are wanting to learn to crochet, let us know where you're stuck and maybe we can help you find the videos or instructions you need.

I learned to crochet back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I was 17 and determined to do it. I got a book that taught how to crochet a granny square and I finally got it. It took me a long time.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote