Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Ravelry question
I just discovered the "Organize" tab on the Projects, Queue, and Favorites pages in Ravelry and have been working on setting mine up. While doing so I looked at the "no deadlines" tab on my Queue page. The text on the page says "Queued projects that have a "finish by" date will appear on this tab.". My question...shouldn't the title of the Tab be "Deadlines" based on the text on the page? Or am I misunderstanding something? *which is highly possible*

ETA: AHA!!...decided to play around with it (since those Ravelry folks are usually on top of their game). Turns out as you add deadlines to queued projects, the title of the tab changes. Add a deadline to an item, tab title changes to "1 deadline". Add a deadline to another item, tab title changes to "2 deadlines" and so forth. Funny thing though is that on the Deadline tab, the items are still listed in queue number order, not in order by the deadline date and there is no option to sort them into deadline date order. So if queue item 1 has a deadline date of April 10 and queue item 2 has a deadline date of March 5, on the Deadline tab queue item 1 is still listed before queue item 2. Would like to have the option to sort them by deadline date on the Deadline tab. May just suggest that.

Last edited by yarnrainbow : 01-30-2013 at 08:05 PM.
yarnrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yarnrainbow For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (01-31-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
That's how I read it, too. Unless I too am reading it wrong I think the wording got messed up. Trust me, someone will say something to them.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

Interesting - I've found ravelry far less helpful than this website, so rarely go there anymore.
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidSydney63 View Post
Interesting - I've found ravelry far less helpful than this website, so rarely go there anymore.
I don't spend much time in groups..KH is WAY better, but it's invaluable for finding yarns and patterns. At least for me...and my mod duties.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
SandsLVT
Ribbing the Cuff

I love Ravelry for that too, Jan. it's my first resource for yarn info, patterns, etc. For help though, I come here. :-)

SandsLVT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SandsLVT For This Useful Post:
DavidSydney63 (02-01-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,555 Posts
I've not used it for much except looking for patterns. I do have a few things stored in my library so maybe I'll find them again. IMO...Ravelry is for patterns, if I need to know how to do something, it's Knitting Help.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
JudyD
Turning the Heel

The knitting/crocheting groups on Ravelry are very active. For instance, the Charity Knitting group has sent 1430 items to different charities in the month of January alone.

Our Maine group is much smaller in number but we still manage to turn out a respectable number of items.

Judy
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Antares
Working the Gusset

I dunno why it won't sort the items based on the new dates OP plugged in. That might be worthy of sending the creators a comment if it doesn't straighten up and fly right.

I mainly use Ravelry for patterns, too, and I've also inputted all my knitting and crochet books and magazines in the library. This is particularly helpful for the e-mags that I have. I include notes for each e-magazine about the patterns I like; then I don't have to sort through three year's worth of publications (which is tedious when you have to open every one and scroll to the projects page).

I also discovered not too long ago that when I "search by patterns in library," it will include patterns from the e-mags, too (and as long as someone has uploaded an image of the project--original or otherwise--I can see a picture of it). This also keeps me from having to open every PDF version.

I've used Ravelry to look up a specific yarn and see what kinds of projects people have made with it. Reading their notes can give me an idea if a yarn has a nice drape or if it's difficult to work with or whatever.

I'm sure Ravelry has lots of other great uses; I just haven't figured them out yet!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It depends what you're looking for. There's tons of information, but you need to be specific in searching, or sift through a lot of it. It's great to see what a pattern will look like when knit, or what a yarn looks like in a porjcet.

I am active in the groups, mostly the ones on specific techniques, and several on my 'don't miss' TV shows. I only use Yarn, Patterns and Techniques of the main big 6 groups that everyone gets subscribed to. Those 3 don't get nasty very much, and if they do, a mod will shut down a thread.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by DavidSydney63 View Post
Me too! Really, its just stressy! Well, it is nice to look up patterns but I had to stop using the queue and project stuff. I was giving myself panic attacks trying to complete projects as quickly as possible.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote