Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
XxImAxBoXxX
Casting On

Knitting in the round help
I'm trying to do a pattern for a hat for a couple friends. The hat is one of the breastfeeding hats, where you do the icord at the tip, then do some increases to get to the hat part and make it round. I'll post a link to the pattern at the bottom of the post. The issue I'm having, is I don't have the right size DPN's, (and it'd take over a week to get the right size, and really don't want to purchase them if I don't have to right now, money's tight) and I do have circulars (Denise interchangeables), but with working only 8 stitches or so at the beginning, it's impossible to get the item worked in the round and join the 2 ends. Has anyone else had this issue, and found a way to go around it other than getting the DPN's?
XxImAxBoXxX is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
XxImAxBoXxX
Casting On

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/boob-hat
XxImAxBoXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

You can try the magic loop method. Check out this video
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,062 Times in 2,574 Posts
With Denise needles I think your best bet is to use 2 circulars. This video shows how. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ya2reZeEGE You can use a smaller needle on the left because the right needle determines the stitch size and that way you don't need 4 tips of the same size. Just be sure you cast on with the larger needle and don't start working with one of the smaller ones. I've tried ML with Denise and decided it's a nonstarter, the cords are too thick and not flexible enough. You shouldn't need to buy more needles. HTH

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I agree with GG - the Denise's have stiff cords, so if you put the right size needle on one end of 2 cords and a smaller one on the other, you can use both of them to knit with. If you cast on to one needle, then push half the stitches toward the ends, making a loop with the cord, then join and work the first round with the other one it's easier to get started.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,062 Times in 2,574 Posts
Another reason for mismatched tips on Denise is that it's easier to knit with them that way. I've always found Denise tips to be less than easy to work with. Knitting from a smaller tip helped.

I think that if you're willing to slide stitches back and forth on a circ you might start with an I cord even.

This method might work just for starting, but I think I'd use a size smaller needle as the stitches seem to be larger than in regular knitting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPGXNoG0fjA Just some thoughts. Either way might be more trouble than it's worth. I dunno.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,744 Times in 7,115 Posts
Knitting Help has videos for knitting in the round as well.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...rcular-needles

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote