Old 02-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

Help explain this diagram
I am wanting to do this edging on a blanket, but i do not know how to read the diagram

http://gallery.ru/watch?ph=4tc-dGhx5

Can anyone help?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
It's pretty, but I have no idea since it doesn't come with instructions or even a legend like knitting charts. Is it part of a pattern?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
It's pretty, but I have no idea since it doesn't come with instructions or even a legend like knitting charts. Is it part of a pattern?
i have no clue! lol

i found it on pinterest, but the site it links is not in english so i don't even know where to begin finding out how to do it.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
That's unusual. I'd like to know how it's done. You might ask at http://www.crochetville.com/community/ too.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Antares
Working the Gusset

I can figure this out. I love crochet diagrams (and so does OffJumpsJack, but I haven't seen him here in a while).

So here's what I get:

Stitches in pattern: ch st, sc, puff st

Directions for puff stitch: (YO, insert hook in stitch indicated and pull up a loop) 4 times, yo, pull through all loops on hook.

Stitch pattern is worked over a multiple of 2 + 1 stitches.

Row 1: Starting in any corner, sc 2 times in corner stitch, *sc in every st across to next corner, 3 sc in corner*; repeat from * to * around; 1 sc in first corner, join with sl st to first sc. You should have 3 sc in each corner and an odd number of stitches across each end (beware: don't count the corner single crochets twice). It may be helpful to mark the center sc in each corner.

Row 2: Ch 2, work puff stitch in first sc, ch 3, work puff st in first ch of ch 3 just made; *skip 1 sc, work puff st in next sc, ch 3, work puff st in first ch of ch 3 just made,)* repeat from * to * until you get to the marked center corner sc; [work puff st in corner center sc, ch 3, work puff st in first ch of ch 3 just made, do not skip next sc, work puff st in next sc, ch 3, work puff st in first ch of ch 3 just made;] repeat pattern from * to * until you get to the next center corner sc; then repeat pattern in brackets. Continue in this way around; then join with sl st to top of first puff st.

If my directions aren't clear about where to place the puff stitches, please refer to the diagram. The puff stitches are the ones that are the large ovals with a bar across the top and two lines running through them. The "+" are single crochets, the small ovals are ch sts, and the dots are joins (slip stitches).

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by Antares : 02-02-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Just cuz!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

OK, that looks about right, Antares. I couldn't remember the name of the puff stitch or exactly how to work it but I was thinking along similar lines. You could actually translate it into stitches. Bravo!

Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Antares
Working the Gusset

Well, I had to drag out my crochet stitch bible to be sure. I knew it was either a puff stitch or a popcorn stitch. Either would probably look good in this pattern.

Hope the OP can figure this out from what I wrote!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I can figure this out. I love crochet diagrams (and so does OffJumpsJack, but I haven't seen him here in a while).

So here's what I get:

Stitches in pattern: ch st, sc, puff st

Directions for puff stitch: (YO, insert hook in stitch indicated and pull up a loop) 4 times, yo, pull through all loops on hook.

Stitch pattern is worked over a multiple of 2 + 1 stitches.

Row 1: Starting in any corner, sc 2 times in corner stitch, *sc in every st across to next corner, 3 sc in corner*; repeat from * to * around; 1 sc in first corner, join with sl st to first sc. You should have 3 sc in each corner and an odd number of stitches across each end (beware: don't count the corner single crochets twice). It may be helpful to mark the center sc in each corner.

Row 2: Ch 2, work puff stitch in first sc, ch 3, work puff st in first ch of ch 3 just made; *skip 1 sc, work puff st in next sc, ch 3, work puff st in first ch of ch 3 just made,)* repeat from * to * until you get to the marked center corner sc; [work puff st in corner center sc, ch 3, work puff st in first ch of ch 3 just made, do not skip next sc, work puff st in next sc, ch 3, work puff st in first ch of ch 3 just made;] repeat pattern from * to * until you get to the next center corner sc; then repeat pattern in brackets. Continue in this way around; then join with sl st to top of first puff st.

If my directions aren't clear about where to place the puff stitches, please refer to the diagram. The puff stitches are the ones that are the large ovals with a bar across the top and two lines running through them. The "+" are single crochets, the small ovals are ch sts, and the dots are joins (slip stitches).

Hope this makes sense.
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Now to finish the blanket so i can do the edging, but i am pretty sure i understand now!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I hope we get to see it when it's done.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Antares
Working the Gusset

If you get stuck, come back and let us know, and we'll help as much as we can.

Yes, I agree with GG: I'd love to see your finished blanket!