Old 02-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I know youtube has videos for the Channel Island CO, so maybe there's some for the bind off too. Or look up Helen of Troy, both on Ravelry and youtube, she's got a gazillion COs and BOs on her blog and in videos.
Yes, I've been doing some searching for it, but I haven't gotten through everything yet. I'm not excellent at internet research mostly because I get distracted. Most seem to be for variations of the picot bind off, but I think that will be too big in this instance. I think I also just like collecting cast ons and bind offs!
Thank you for the Helen of Troy tip! Her blog looks great - there are six years of posts to dig through! She's as thorough as techknitter but with swatches instead of computer drawings.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,373 Times in 3,056 Posts
Thanks for the video links especially the Channed Island cast on from Eunny. The picot bind offs that I've seen aren't quite as subtle as this cast on so you may need to play around with them if you decide to use one to balance the CICO. Really, a provisional cast on is ideal for perfectly matching edges. That way you could do the picot bind off on both edges.
I'm intrigued to see this bracelet. Do post a photo in progress or when you finish.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I'll use a cable cast on in the middle of a row, like for doing button holes. But the ones I use most are the long tail cast on and the German Twisted cast on for hats, mittens, and gloves. I try to avoid provisional cast on's if possible because I'm lazy. I probably spend more time trying to find ways to simplify patterns rather than just following the directions.

This is my little trick for getting the cast on and bind off rows to look the same like in garter stitch or when making scarves when you want the edges to match. I do a long tail cast on as usual for the beginning. At the end, I do the traditional bind off where you knit one and slip it over the next stitch. But instead of knitting this whole row, I bind off the whole row in purl. The two edges will match. It's also a handy trick to prevent your bind off row from flaring out and looking wider than the cast on row. Both edges will be the same in width.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
She does have a tutoial series on COs and one on BOs.... lemme see if I can find them.

Cast ons - https://sites.google.com/site/oftroy...rials/cast-ons
Basic Bind offs - https://sites.google.com/site/oftroy...sic-bind-off-s
Matching CO/BO - https://sites.google.com/site/oftroy...and-bind-off-s

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Rie (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
This is my little trick for getting the cast on and bind off rows to look the same like in garter stitch or when making scarves when you want the edges to match. I do a long tail cast on as usual for the beginning. At the end, I do the traditional bind off where you knit one and slip it over the next stitch. But instead of knitting this whole row, I bind off the whole row in purl. The two edges will match. It's also a handy trick to prevent your bind off row from flaring out and looking wider than the cast on row. Both edges will be the same in width.
That is an interesting idea. I'm going to give that a try.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Thanks for the video links especially the Channed Island cast on from Eunny. The picot bind offs that I've seen aren't quite as subtle as this cast on so you may need to play around with them if you decide to use one to balance the CICO. Really, a provisional cast on is ideal for perfectly matching edges. That way you could do the picot bind off on both edges.
I'm intrigued to see this bracelet. Do post a photo in progress or when you finish.
I'm so obsessed with the CICO that I'm not sure if I can let go of the idea. Do you think my idea of grafting a end piece with the CICO will work? I decided to go ahead with the CICO for this first bracelet because I'm anticipating mangling the steek anyway, so I figure it doesn't matter too much if the graft for the bind off piece is weird. I'll definitely post some photos to this topic. I'll try the picot cast on for my second bracelet if my idea doesn't work. I'm also still working on getting a copy of Modern Vintage Knits from the library. I can't wait to see what Ann Budd was talking about, but I think it must just be another version of the Picot bind off, because wouldn't CIBO be on the internet somewhere? Maybe I have too much faith in the internet.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
She does have a tutoial series on COs and one on BOs.... lemme see if I can find them.

Cast ons - https://sites.google.com/site/oftroy...rials/cast-ons
Basic Bind offs - https://sites.google.com/site/oftroy...sic-bind-off-s
Matching CO/BO - https://sites.google.com/site/oftroy...and-bind-off-s
Helen of Troy is the best! I think I might like her site better than techknitter now.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Helen calls herself the 'Queen of Cast ons' and she does have a large collection. Techknitter has a lot of different technical and how to information.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #19
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,373 Times in 3,056 Posts
Now you have me intrigued about Modern Vintage Knits. Our library doesn't have it in the system but I'd be interested in what you find. I think your idea of grafting should work just fine and it lets you use the cast on twice.
Rie (02-03-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #20
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Channel Island Cast-On Image
Just an update to show what the CICO looks like.

I'm terrible at taking photos and I apologize for my horrible thumb, but I couldn't really lay this down because it curls up so badly right now as it's knit on size 0 needles when the yarn calls for size 3. This makes me worried about the steek.
Anyway, there are more pics on Ravelry that show the cast-on and all the extra ends that go with it.
So far I like it but I think I might knit the next on larger needles and maybe change the edging as I notice that many other people's edges are curling a bit.
Since this is a whimsical sort of pattern I'm thinking of these pewter moon face buttons. Too twee? Should I go with more antique looking buttons?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rie : 02-05-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: bad grammar