Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Hubby's socks....?
I've been knitting my darling husband socks since I learned to knit socks again.
He has really big feet and I sometimes absolutely dread starting another pair for him. It takes me a while to knit one sock and then I have to start another.
I'm not planning on knitting two at a time...
The thing is, the socks I knit him wear out in less than a month. We have a rough carpet in our apartment that is wall to wall and he wears his socks when he's in the house and the soles literally fall apart in no time at all. He's taken to wearing 2 pairs of socks at a time.
I knit him 2 pairs for Christmas and Now both are worn out so I'm in the middle of knitting him another pair.
Do other people have this problem? If you solved it with a different kind of yarn or something, or a different stitch or whatever... please let me in on your secret.
If this is a stupid question, I apologize ahead of time...
Thanks,
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Stainless steel yarn? Seriously, if they go that fast, I'd head to Walmart and buy a pkg. of Hanes or something. That's a lot of effort to not last. There was another thread about the same kind of problem some months back. I think the OP of that one decided to buy socks already made. I've seen something about socks made with a replaceable sole, if I can figure out how to search for it, I'll let you know what I find. Is there any possibility he might wear slippers over his socks?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
TEMA (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Honestly, I don't think I'd bother knitting socks if they wear out that fast. Hand knit socks take too long even if they are a labor of love and are too expensive.

That said...Stainless steel yarn isn't soft enough nor do I think it's durable enough. The only somewhat durable yarn I've used for me, and I'm not hard on them, is wool with nylon in it. The acrylic socks wore out very quickly. What yarn are you using? You might consider also trying a reinforcing thread for heels and toes.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ht=Reinforcing

Or this- socks with replaceable soles. I've always wanted to try these.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...socks-november
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...soleable-socks

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
TEMA (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Have you thought about making him slipper socks using the suede soles? I've not used them but have looked at them for my grandson as they have tile and hardwoods on the floors and it would give him a better grip.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Stainless steel yarn? Seriously, if they go that fast, I'd head to Walmart and buy a pkg. of Hanes or something. That's a lot of effort to not last. There was another thread about the same kind of problem some months back. I think the OP of that one decided to buy socks already made. I've seen something about socks made with a replaceable sole, if I can figure out how to search for it, I'll let you know what I find. Is there any possibility he might wear slippers over his socks?
No... short and simple but that's the answer to your question...
I've already asked him to do so but he's sooo much more comfortable with just the socks on... Gotta love the man!
TEMA
Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Honestly, I don't think I'd bother knitting socks if they wear out that fast. Hand knit socks take too long even if they are a labor of love and are too expensive.

That said...Stainless steel yarn isn't soft enough nor do I think it's durable enough. The only somewhat durable yarn I've used for me, and I'm not hard on them, is wool with nylon in it. The acrylic socks wore out very quickly. What yarn are you using? You might consider also trying a reinforcing thread for heels and toes.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ht=Reinforcing

Or this- socks with replaceable soles. I've always wanted to try these.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...socks-november
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...soleable-socks
Thanks so much for the info, Jan. I'm going to look up both those that you offered. It would be worth it to me to buy the book, magazine or whatever to get these patterns. I love to make socks and I'd love it even more if I could even just patch up one pair...

TEMA
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by TEMA View Post
Thanks so much for the info, Jan. I'm going to look up both those that you offered. It would be worth it to me to buy the book, magazine or whatever to get these patterns. I love to make socks and I'd love it even more if I could even just patch up one pair...

TEMA
I've always wanted to try them. Just because. Lol. When I get ready I'm going to check my library first.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Here's a pattern for two needle socks. You could stitch these up with contrasting yarn so you can easily take these apart and replace the soles when you need to. I have knit this pattern. These fit nicely. I thought they were better than socks knit in the round. And there's no heels to turn.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/kp2.html
Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

TEMA -

What about reinforcing the foot, heel, and toes with this stuff? It or something like it may be available elsewhere, but I just saw it last night, and will order some as I have teeth in my toes too.

http://www.patternworks.com/productd...ENT-THREAD.htm

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I can't imagine wearing socks that are seamed.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 02-04-2013 at 02:21 PM.