Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
The first two links are crocheted. You can do something similar with knitting, but it won't be identical.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
spitfire
Casting On

Yep this is going to be my first project
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
spitfire
Casting On

Jan,
What's the best way to convert those patterns to a knitting pattern?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Converting crochet patterns to knitting patterns is not for the inexperienced. You couldn't do it yourself. You'd have to ask someone else to spend hours of time doing this.

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever when over a dozen knitting versions already exist.

My suggestion: use the knitting pattern that you like, changing the colors to suit. That's much easier than the headache of converting crochet to knitting.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #15
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
Here's a knitted acorn hat pattern.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/acorn-hat-5

I agree with ArtLady about converting a pattern. If the texture of the hats you linked to is what you like, I'm not sure you'll find it in an easy knitted hat pattern. Any knitted beanie with color changes will give you an acorn hat.

If you have your heart set on one of the hats in yout links, you might have to learn to crochet as well as knit.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #16
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Here's a knitted acorn hat pattern.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/acorn-hat-5

I agree with ArtLady about converting a pattern. If the texture of the hats you linked to is what you like, I'm not sure you'll find it in an easy knitted hat pattern. Any knitted beanie with color changes will give you an acorn hat.

If you have your heart set on one of the hats in yout links, you might have to learn to crochet as well as knit.
I think this is an excellent pattern choice. He could also knit up a few of the leaves in fall colors that salmonmac suggested as add-ons. The leaves would be good practice before starting on the hat.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
spitfire
Casting On

Is it more difficult to crochet that it is to knit? If I don't go with the crochet pattern then I will go with this knitted pattern but with a tan bottom and brown top.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...dler-acorn-hat
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
Is it more difficult to crochet that it is to knit? If I don't go with the crochet pattern then I will go with this knitted pattern but with a tan bottom and brown top.

It depends on the person. I think trying to learn both at the same time could make both more difficult. I'd say pick one and go with it, you can learn the other later if you want. Crochet involves one hook, knitting involves 2 needles; for me the 2 needles was really hard at first, now I find knitting to be easier on my hands and generally more enjoyable.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Paulaque (02-11-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #19
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by spitfire View Post

I think that could depend on whether you are talking to a crocheter or a knitter! Most people I know seem to at least favor one craft over the other. It really will depend on you. Each has its own "rhythm", if you will. Each is a skill that requires some practice to master.
Personally, I don't like crochet that much because I'm not very good at it. It's too much counting. I have to keep up with where I am in the pattern plus I have to keep with how many chains make a single or double crochet or whatever. I make big messes with crochet! In the US, people tend to think of granny squares when they think of crochet, but look up Japanese crochet sometime and you will see that it can be incredibly complex. Although I don't think those granny squares are as easy as they seem either.

To me, it looks like the patterns you have there are a little intense. But I'm crochet-impaired so you need to factor that in as well!
I think the knit pattern you have chosen will be a little challenging for a beginner, but do-able if you practice all the skills you will need on swatches first. You will need to know how to cast on, knit in the round, moss stitch, and decreasing over a pattern in the round.
If you can get the hang of those before you start the hat, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

The stitch she seems to be using is a sort of modified moss stitch. If you did a small project in regular moss stitch, that would give you your practice of cast on, knit and purl stitch, and changing up that knit and purl stitch. I still think you should do a separate swatch where you practice the decreases she calls for in her pattern. You can find tutorials on this site or elsewhere on the net by putting in those search terms. Most people have their videos available on youtube.

Since you said this will be your first project, you might want to take a look at this pattern. It can be knit flat and is all garter stitch. If you did this in the right colors, I think it would be very much like an acorn, because garter stitch has a rugged look, especially if you added one or two of the oak leaves salmonmac suggested in an earlier post. It has a pom that you could do or not. But you could also practice making the little piece from one of the crochet patterns to see if you like crochet. This would give you the practice you need in both skills.

Last edited by Rie : 02-08-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: bad typist
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Rie, I think that would be a great pattern to use. Good find.