Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Trying on a top down raglan
I'm knitting a top down raglan and the instructions, as well as people on forums say that you "can try on a top down raglan at any point....." Maybe this is intuitive to most people, but I think I'm missing something. I have to transfer my knitting to waste yarn to do this, and I have a (probably irrational) fear of moving all these stitches to waste yarn because I don't know how I'd put them back on the needles.
I've already divided for the sleeves and have them on waste yarn (I figured that by the time I needed them again all the experts on KH would have told me how to get them back on) But now I'm at the part where I need to do my first try on.

I'm knitting in the round, so, in order to put the stitches on the waste yarn I'd thread a tapestry needle and move the stitches onto the waste yarn in the same direction I would have been knitting, right? Slip them off the left needle instead of knitting?

Then I end up with a circle of stitches on waste yarn. I try it on. Then.......please explain to me how to put the stitches back on the needles. Which direction? Do I use a tapestry needle? Yarn doesn't slide very easily on other yarn, so how will I slide the stitches off? I feel kind of foolish not knowing because I can't even find any videos that show it, like everyone should know.....

Thank you!
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
That's normal. You can also put them on multiple long cable needles, but if you do that be careful.

It doesn't matter which end you put the waste yarn in really. To put it back on the needles you just put your needle back through the stitches then cut the waste yarn.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Lizars1735 (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
That's normal. You can also put them on multiple long cable needles, but if you do that be careful.

It doesn't matter which end you put the waste yarn in really. To put it back on the needles you just put your needle back through the stitches then cut the waste yarn.
So I just thread the needle through the stitches on the waste yarn while the waste yarn is still there? And I can do that from either end? I know I'm sounding thick here, I just want to be completely clear before I do it.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
The first time is always scary! If your needle goes through the stitch with the waste yarn in place, you can thread them all back onto the needle and leave it there. I'd remove it before knitting, probably, as it can get all messed up. If you do drop a stitch off you can pick it up again. Take a deep breath and tell yourself, I can do this!

I cheat, I use long cables on my interchangables to make it easier. I do move stitches to waste yarn if I need to but really like the detachable cable.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Lizars1735 (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh, it is scary. I might even wait until tomorrow to do it.

I don't have detachable cables that are long enough for a try on. I don't actually have an interchangeable set yet, but I do plan on getting one. It doesn't look like the ones from KP have really long cables. Do you know if they have connecters to put them together?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I got some 60" KP cables I bought separately just for such uses. They do have connectors. Theoretically I could connect 2 - 60" cables (they come in twos) and have about a 110" needle. LOL I can't imagine needing one that long.

Really, as long as you don't lose the first and last stitches, which can be a pain to get back, you shouldn't have any problems but I think you said you're working in the round so that shouldn't be a problem. Well, if you're working a complicated stitch pattern you could. If you have KP interchangables you can thread a skinny something like crochet thread into one of the holes on the cable and then your lifeline is already in place, works for using as waste yarn to hold stitches too. I'd wait till tomorrow I think, but I'm sleepy and that's not a good time to try something new. You'll do fine.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I got some 60" KP cables I bought separately just for such uses. They do have connectors. Theoretically I could connect 2 - 60" cables (they come in twos) and have about a 110" needle. LOL I can't imagine needing one that long.
I might have to get some of those 60" cables when I get my interchangeable set.

You could use your 110" needle for a double king sized blanket!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I'm sorry for a wrong assumption, from what you said I thought you already had KPs. I crocheted a few big blankets, I can't imagine knitting one that large, and neither would have fit king sized bed. My DD crocheted one that does fit their king sized bed. I was amazed then, and I still am.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I'm sorry for a wrong assumption, from what you said I thought you already had KPs.
I have a KP interchangeable sampler set, so just a few tips and 2 cables. I think the cables are either 24" or 32"
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I use another circular, or two of them, to put part of the stitches on to try it on. Then I can just knit right off them; I never use scrap yarn for this, too much time and fiddling around with the stitches.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote