Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #21
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,467 Times in 3,143 Posts
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
Is it more difficult to crochet that it is to knit? If I don't go with the crochet pattern then I will go with this knitted pattern but with a tan bottom and brown top.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...dler-acorn-hat
This is an adorable pattern and very much in the spirit of what you'd like to do. Give it a try. We can help.
The pattern Rie links to is also a good one, very cute and simple. Both patterns use about the same weight yarn so if you don't do one you can switch and do the other.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Nothing like jumping in at the deep end... I'm a complete disaster with a crochet hook, but my Yarn Kninja girlfriend swears it's easier -- and she should know. Since I've never actively tried to learn crochet, I don't know from experience that it's easier, but it seems like it would be. But if you've never done either one, then one's as alien as the other. If you're not up against the wall for time, try both and see which one comes easier to you.

But if you're trying to convert a crochet pattern line by line... don't. You'd be better off just looking at the pictures and figuring out how to make "that shape" by knitting it. That presents its own challenges, but it would STILL be easier.

What I found made me succeed was a good reason to continue. It helped (more than I can tell you) to have a Jedi Master Kninja girlfriend, but we'd been together for a looooong time before I ever attempted to learn to knit. But I came upon a project that I was just stubborn enough to finish, and at that point the die was cast. Sounds like you have the motivation, and hopefully you can find enough knowledge here and in various video tutorials to help you through the technical problems. and one other resource I'd suggest, if you have a yarn store in your area they can be a WEALTH of help. I'm talking about stores that specialize in yarn/knitting/crochet supplies though, not the "big box" craft stores. They're usually MORE than happy to help out (especially if you're a guy, I've found).

Good luck young padawan, may Force be with you!
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #23
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
I crocheted for a long time before I knit. It's not hard and I can still do basic stitches if I look them up. I found knitting awkward at first, like everyone does, but easier overall. I prefer the finer look of knitting for most things although a crocheted border is lovely.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #24
psquidy
Turning the Heel

I know those booties! I make them all the time. They're all over the web as "Christine's baby booties" as well as other titles. Good luck, we can help you with any question once you pick the pattern.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
Originally Posted by psquidy View Post
I know those booties! I make them all the time. They're all over the web as "Christine's baby booties" as well as other titles. Good luck, we can help you with any question once you pick the pattern.
Unless she has more booties by that name the ones in his picture look different to me. Or did someone have a different link I missed?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...s-baby-booties

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote