Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
wilddog
Casting On

WS/RS confusing directions
I am knitting pattern 157 from Vermont Fiber Designs. I cast on 116 sts. Next I followed the Beg Open Check Stitch which said I should start on the WS, which I don't know how you know you are on the WS if you only have your cast sts on the needle.

Anyway, here is the pattern:
Row 1: (WS)Knit.
Row 2: Purl.
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: K2, *slip 1 wyib k1; rep from * to end
Row 5: *K1, slip 1 wyif; rep from * to last 2 sts, K2
Row 6: K1, *yo k2tog; rep from * to last st, k1
Row 7: Purl

Work even for 7 rows, ending with WS row. (RS) Purl 1 row, dec (18)sts evenly across first row (98) sts rem. Knit 1 row.

Question: Assuming I started on the WS after casting my stitches row 7 should end on a WS, but I ended on the RS (the pattern should be the RS, right?)

Q2: So, I purled a row as instructed. Was I suppose to dec in the purl row? I am now on the RS. Is it okay to dec on the RS?

I am working on the front as I recently finished the back, however I did this part of the back 2 yrs ago and can't remember how I did it. I tried lining the patterns up and they look the same, but I have trouble telling which row is actually where the dec begins. Also, how do I tell a dec throughout the row as in "dec evenly across first row"

Sorry if this is confusing. I'm so confused I'm having trouble formulating a clear question.

Thanks.

Linda
wilddog is offline   Reply With Quote