Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
wilddog
Casting On

WS/RS confusing directions
I am knitting pattern 157 from Vermont Fiber Designs. I cast on 116 sts. Next I followed the Beg Open Check Stitch which said I should start on the WS, which I don't know how you know you are on the WS if you only have your cast sts on the needle.

Anyway, here is the pattern:
Row 1: (WS)Knit.
Row 2: Purl.
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: K2, *slip 1 wyib k1; rep from * to end
Row 5: *K1, slip 1 wyif; rep from * to last 2 sts, K2
Row 6: K1, *yo k2tog; rep from * to last st, k1
Row 7: Purl

Work even for 7 rows, ending with WS row. (RS) Purl 1 row, dec (18)sts evenly across first row (98) sts rem. Knit 1 row.

Question: Assuming I started on the WS after casting my stitches row 7 should end on a WS, but I ended on the RS (the pattern should be the RS, right?)

Q2: So, I purled a row as instructed. Was I suppose to dec in the purl row? I am now on the RS. Is it okay to dec on the RS?

I am working on the front as I recently finished the back, however I did this part of the back 2 yrs ago and can't remember how I did it. I tried lining the patterns up and they look the same, but I have trouble telling which row is actually where the dec begins. Also, how do I tell a dec throughout the row as in "dec evenly across first row"

Sorry if this is confusing. I'm so confused I'm having trouble formulating a clear question.

Thanks.

Linda
wilddog is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
Someone will verify, but I think that's correct. Ending with a WS row means that it's your last row. So a purl row seems right to me.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
Here's a link to a picture. The pattern is just establishing which is the WS for future reference later in the pattern (the odd rows will be WS).
If you work rows 1-7 and then work even for another 7, you'll end with row 14 which is a RS row. Since the directions want the next row to be a RS row, a purl row for the decreases, you could add in an extra row so that you end with the WS and you're ready to put the decreases in on the purl row which is a RS row. Yes, decrease across this purl row.
Since it looks like the rest is stockinette, you could go ahead as you have it now and put the decreases in on the next row if you want or just take out the last row and put them in on the purl row as the directions say. Take a look at the back and make sure this will match up with the back. If you can't tell the difference, no one else will be able to either!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
wilddog
Casting On

"work even for 7 rows" - I thought that meant just knit the 7 rows in the pattern. So this means I was suppose to knit 7 additional rows??? What stitch? I definitely didn't do that on the back, so I'm not going to now, but it will be good to know for future directions.

Also, since you posted the pic (thank you) the pattern is 7 rows and you can see the decrease starts immediately afterwards. Does not look like they "worked even 7 rows" following the pattern.

ARRGH...why don't they right these in English!

Just to verify salmonmac....so I could decrease on the knit row w/o it looking noticeable OR take out my purl row and redo w/decreases?
wilddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
You're correct about the knit even. It does mean to continue in pattern. I just meant it in the generic sense of knitting, not especially knit stitches only. Sorry for that confusion.
As far as the decrease row, I'd take out the purl row and put the decreases on that purl row but it's not likely to be noticeable if you do the decreases across the current knit row. Use the back as a guide.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The pattern is just telling you the first row after the CO will be a WS row and so will all the other odd numbered ones. The 'work 7 rows even' means to do 7 more rows without a decrease, in the stitch pattern.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote