Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
You don't need to do anything, but...Trust us. These are techniques you will use in your future knitting life so no better way to learn than on a scarf. Better than halfway through a sweater.

That said...you can also just keep knitting and ignore it and make a swatch to learn on.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

turn it around?leg of stitch? It doesn't matter so much on this project but I'm trying to figure out what to do for future reference..like I said,I've had this problem before.

ETA:I didn't see your post when I posted,Jan
OHmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
From the angle you took the picture, turn the needle and your work so the working yarn is in back. This is usually with the needle in your right hand. Slip the end stitch to the other needle. Each stitch has 2 legs, one in front of the needle, one it bakc. In standard knitting the end closest to the tip of the needle is in front and that's how you normally knit a stitch; but if the stitch gets twisted, it could be in back. So if you knit into the 'leading' leg or the one closest to the tip, the stitch will be untwisted.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
From the angle you took the picture, turn the needle and your work so the working yarn is in back. This is usually with the needle in your right hand. Slip the end stitch to the other needle. Each stitch has 2 legs, one in front of the needle, one it bakc. In standard knitting the end closest to the tip of the needle is in front and that's how you normally knit a stitch; but if the stitch gets twisted, it could be in back. So if you knit into the 'leading' leg or the one closest to the tip, the stitch will be untwisted.
ooooh thanks for that explanation!I will try it!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

OK I think I got it straightened out but while knitting that row,I noticed that I somehow got all of the stitches turned around,I think...how did I manage that?And I think I knit the first stitch before realizing this,is this an issue?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
If your stitches are twisted you knit into the back of the stitch to straighten it out. Or you can flip each one as you come to it, but the other way is faster. I don't know exactly what you man, but if you mean the first one is twisted you can frog that one stitch like I suggested and redo it, OR just ignore it. It's only one stitch.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

You must have put the needle back in with them twisted. Do the 'knit through the leg closest to the tip) on all the stitches and that will untwist them. We've got a video for that.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

Well I already knit them all and turned them around as I got to them,except for that first or second one..which I'm going to have to leave alone before I get discouraged and quit.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #19
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yeah, just leave it; some patterns have you knit twisted stitches on purpose, and it won't show on garter stitch anyway.