Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
ohiogirl527
Casting On

help with needle sizes
Hello everyone. I have a question to ask. I'm very new to knitting. In fact I have never picked up a pair of knitting needles before and today I have decided to start knitting and I'm curious as to what size needle I should use. A friend of mine said bamboo with the cord should be easy to start with. But I'm not sure. I found a pair of bamboo ones that are 60" size 10 6.5 mm but I'm not sure if that's what I want. Any advice would be great. Thank you for reading.
ohiogirl527 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the world of knitting and Knitting Help! You're starting with a circular needle, that's great. You can use it to knit back and forth for flat and then you can use it to knit in the round and make tubes which are very useful for many things. Bamboo would be good to start with, people who teach have said it helps you get off to a good start. I think the 60" might be longer than you want for a first needle. Are you buying at a local store or on line? The options you have available might be different depending on where you're buying. Oh, yes, we always want more info so we can help you the best we're able.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
ohiogirl527
Casting On

I'm going to buy them online. I'm a broke college student and I'm on a budget. I found them on a site called listia. I crochet also and I love that I just feel I should try to do something different. I just want to learn how to do a basic knitting.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
Since you're a broke college student and I'm sure your budget isn't generous, I think that if there is a local store you can buy at you might want to go look. By the time you pay shipping, you might be paying more than you have to. Circulars are great but if you want to start with something *cheap* there is nothing wrong with straight needles. I wouldn't go with 60"ers for starting, that's way too much cable to mess with. I don't think our WalMart carries bamboo needles, stores like Michael's, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, or Ben Franklin will.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
ohiogirl527 (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
ohiogirl527
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Since you're a broke college student and I'm sure your budget isn't generous, I think that if there is a local store you can buy at you might want to go look. By the time you pay shipping, you might be paying more than you have to. Circulars are great but if you want to start with something *cheap* there is nothing wrong with straight needles. I wouldn't go with 60"ers for starting, that's way too much cable to mess with. I don't think our WalMart carries bamboo needles, stores like Michael's, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, or Ben Franklin will.
Thank you so much for helping me out. As you can clearly tell I'm so clueless. What size needle do you think I should use? I'm just trying to learn the basic.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,287 Times in 2,974 Posts
Hi and welcome!
Size 8 needles are good ones to start with. Not so big that they're difficult to handle and not too tiny either. About a 40" cable is good too. You can use it for lots of projects and techniques and as GG said, it's not so much cable that it gets in the way. Take a look at some of the videos here for the basic steps and tips for Getting Started.
ohiogirl527 (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
ohiogirl527
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Hi and welcome!
Size 8 needles are good ones to start with. Not so big that they're difficult to handle and not too tiny either. About a 40" cable is good too. You can use it for lots of projects and techniques and as GG said, it's not so much cable that it gets in the way. Take a look at some of the videos here for the basic steps and tips for Getting Started.
Thank you so much.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A 60" cord is way too long for a lot of things or until you get more experienced and can use it with advanced techniques. A 29/30" or 32" is a good length that can be used in a lot of ways - for knitting flat, doing a sweater in the round, a smallish blanket or throw, and even for making a hat or mittens. Yes, look around at the local craft/fabric stores and even walmart; a size 10 is a good one to use with medium weight yarn and to learn on. The yarn may say to use an 8, but with a bigger needle the stitches are larger and easier to see and work.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ohiogirl527 (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
ohiogirl527
Casting On

Thank you so much. That is great advice. How about a size 11 8mm 9 inch needle?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Very short needles are difficult to knit with and you can only do socks (though a size 11 would be too large) or tiny hats with them. A medium size 24 to 32 inch needle will be the best to learn on and more versatile. Don't order online, go to a store and take a look.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ohiogirl527 (02-11-2013)