Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Securing tails from color changes
Most of you know I'm working on my first project, "The Scarf".

In doing so there are several color changes, I have done these successfully and at some point I will have to secure the tails that I have from all the joins. My actual joins are fine, but the pieces that stick out that I've planned on weaving back upon itself to secure the joint even further are piling up on me.

How do you secure tails in your work from either color changes or yarn changes?

Is there a best way?

I'm not quite ready to do this yet, as I still have several color changes yet to make, but I'd still like to get a plan together now as it will be upon me soon.

런닝맨
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
I weave in the ends using his method. Then I turn and go on a diagonal a few stitches splitting the yarns if it's a slippery yarn.
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,330 Times in 3,015 Posts
When you'd like to take a break from knitting, weave in a couple of the ends. If you do a few as you go along, it becomes less of a chore. (Unless you like weaving in ends.)
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I take my medicine early...and frequently...and weave in a tail when I'm up a row or two from the tail.

If I'm working with a animal fiber yarn...I use the felted join if possible to place it in the right spot.

If I'm working with an accommodating pattern stitch, I use the Russian join.

Both of these joins leave no tails. But as I said, it's not always possible, although I always give it a try.

Click here to view these joins here at KH. Scroll down to JOINING YARN.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Just have to say that you are more ambitious than I was. I, too, made a scarf for my first project, but I got variegated yarn so as not to have to change colors (something I haven't tried yet). I am wowed by the amazing colorful yarns available and humbled by folks who would try changing colors right off the bat. I am thinking about it, but so far am too lazy to try. Thankful for interesting yarn, that's me! Kudos to you for your effort!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,044 Times in 2,556 Posts
My first scarf was blue and white. I found that changing colors helped me to see mistakes more easily than just one color but variegated yarn made it harder. Fortunately we can all do things whatever way we do them and there are no knitting police to come and take us away!

Shoot. Now I have, They're coming to take me away he he ha ha ho ho to the funny farm.... in my head.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

HA! I found just the opposite! The variegated yarn helped to HIDE the mistakes that I inevitably made and then patched up when I discovered them later! I made the scarf in the middle of January and it was COOLLLDDD. (We live in Truckee, CA, often the coldest temp overnight in the nation). It was -22 one morning and I decided I would wear the scarf no matter what it looks like. And one person actually gave me a compliment , so that variegated color worked like a charm!

Now that I'm getting my "knitting legs" I am a little pickier about how stuff turns out.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,044 Times in 2,556 Posts
LOL You agreed with me! Yeah, variegated yarn can hide a multitude of sins (errors) I've found, they simply aren't as obvious. When I was trying to learn to make the stitches and do it correctly, I didn't want that. You needed that scarf in a hurry so the variegated was the absolutely best choice. For me, having something done quickly usually isn't an issue. I found the same thing was true in crocheting, a pattern stitch can get lost in the colors and mistakes can get lost in colors and stitch patterns. Ain't it great??!!

California's supposed to be warm! That's cold!

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Yep! That scarf has gotten a lot of use! California isn't all palm trees and beaches! I guess there are probably more knitters in colder regions.

I find that I like variegated yarns the best no matter what because they seem more interesting and you get "surprises" in how things turn out. I like tweeds, also.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Happy to report that this project is now over 6 feet long! Pics coming soon.

런닝맨
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote