Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #31
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Ballyconneely Shawl by Maggie Jackson
Coral 2 is such an intricate stitch - as you suggest, maybe a garter or stockinette stitch to contrast its complexity.
Originally I had miscalculated the dimensions of this shawl that was the previous project that visited the Frog Pond. I had done the lower rectangle in a lightly textured stitch "Little Corners"
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/st...TOKEN=52449808
overlapped by a ruffle of "Falling Snow"
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/st...TOKEN=52449808
continuing then with a number of rows of "Falling Snow"
While the project was waiting to be frogged I found Coral 2 and fell in love I am using a worsted weight merino wool, "malabrigo", color #68 violetas.
My plan is to incorporate the back and the front as one panel, which is different than Maggie Jackson's approach which I had described in a previous post.
So next step is to figure out the stitch pattern for the upper back and front sides. Once I settle on a stitch pattern I will be able to figure out the stitch count for the section directly on top of the Coral 2 panel ; then I will be able to
The linen yarn sounds lovely. Do you have a photo of the sweater posted anywhere that it can be viewed?
Artlady, I was wondering about your projects using the Japanese Feather stitch, have you posted photos?
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #32
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Here is my Japanese Feather stole:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtL...ole-or-scarf-2

Here's my Japanese Feather scarf:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtL...stole-or-scarf

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
claireweber (02-20-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #33
claireweber
Working the Gusset

At last, after a weekend of copying various stitch patterns, and working up samples, I have decided on "Spun Leaves" for the upper back and front sides of the main panel.
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/st...ows=12&rplus=0
If anyone should decide to use this stitch pattern, please note that until the correction is made on the site, Row 11 under the "End Row" caption reads "ending p3" and it should read "ending k3".
I have a stitch count so I am that much closer to Just need to figure out the portion directly above the Coral 2 panel, should be pretty simple.
ArtLady - I saw your Japanese Feather projects at ravelry, they are gorgeous! I really liked reading the notes that you took as you progressed. And I wanted to ask you about the charts that you made for Coral 2. Did you generate them from a program? How did you make them?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #34
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I took a digital photo of the chart, loaded it into my laptop, then opened the photo with Paint. In the Paint app you can color in the boxes & symbols in the chart for quicker recognition as you knit along. After that Master Copy of my color coded chart was to my liking, I printed several copies, one for each width wise repeat. Then using a paper cutter I trimmed off the excess blank paper. Then taped the 'repeats' together at the area indicated in the written directions.

It gives a "true view" of what the row will really look . This is really really helpful when you're knitting a lace pattern sweater and armholes & neckline decreases start to bite into the width wise charted repeats. You need a true view of what's going on. At least I do anyway.

This Coral 2 pattern stitch was such a convoluted mystery...a hot mess. First due to the erroneous 18+5 originally stated. Secondly because the written directions are not very good, not clear, not conventionally stated.

I finally wrapped my brain around things by making those several copies of the chart.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Antares (02-11-2013), claireweber (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #35
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Coral 2 Knitting Stitch
Monday I received Barbara Walker's "A Treasury of Knitting Patterns" and "A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns". I was going through the "Second" today and found the "Spade" knitting stitch. The pattern repeat is 18 stitches plus 1, is what caught my eye, and I examined closer. Written up differently than Coral 2, beginning with what is Row 7 on Coral 2 with the pattern repeat set up differently, I think it is one and the same!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #36
claireweber
Working the Gusset

ArtLady - You mentioned in your last post about using a graph to figure out how to work lace patterns when you come to sleeves and necklines. I will be binding off about 9" in the middle of the main panel of the shawl when I transition from the back section into the front sides. How do you suggest I do this? I would imagine it should be pretty simple in that I would be binding off at the neck and then continuing straight down on both sides. I had mentioned in a previous post that I plan to do the "Spun Leaves" stitch on this part.

http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/st...TOKEN=93567548

Thank you for all of your help.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #37
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Progress on the Shawl and questions
Well, I've spent a week knitting up sample swatches of various stitch patterns. I just haven't been able to commit to "Spun Leaves" for the top back and front panels and am now considering "Lily of the Valley":

http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/st...TOKEN=55881135

I love making the little flowers on this, they are absolutely adorable. And the pattern will transition easily from three across on the back to two panels down the front. I think this may just be the one

Directly above Coral 2 I will be knitting one ruffle of the "Petite Bell Ruffle":

http://www.knittingmagic.info/corner...le-pattern.jpg

And knitted above this will be "King Charles Brocade":

So at this point I have a couple of questions about transitioning: (1) From the ruffle into the brocade, and (2) From the brocade into the Lily of the Valley.

The ruffles are worked with a purl stitch background, and the brocade stitch has a stockinette background. My dear husband showed me how to use Excel to chart these patterns, and I've arranged to have the point of the diamond of the brocade fall above the midpoint between every third ruffle. The seed stitch has been used to edge the Coral 2 block, and I plan to use it to edge the ruffle as well as the brocade.

I did a swatch of the Lily of the Valley and it is very curvy on the bottom, so I will be transitioning from the very straight edge of the brocade into the curved bottom edge of the Lily of the Valley. I know it's probably obvious to do a garter stitch here; I've worked almost exclusively from patterns so this is pretty new to me and I'm really not sure.

I am considering using a braid pattern in between the lilies and on the edges:

I do have concern about not using the same edging stitch throughout the project, so I suppose this is another question. It seems to make sense to use the braid to run continuously from the back down the front: on the back separating and edging the lily panels and on the front to edge both sides of the panels. And then there is the issue of the neckline, maybe it could be worked in the same stitch pattern used in the transition from the brocade to the lily patterns.

The help and encouragement are deeply appreciated I am looking forward to on my project again soon.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #38
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,436 Times in 3,115 Posts
Those are lovely stitch patterns that you've chosen. I particularly like the lily of the valley, adorable. As long as you're doing swatches on these, why not try connecting them to test out the transitions? Seed stitch is a nice common background where you need it and since it lies flat, may help with transitions.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this in progress.
claireweber (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #39
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Excellent Suggestion!
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Those are lovely stitch patterns that you've chosen. I particularly like the lily of the valley, adorable. As long as you're doing swatches on these, why not try connecting them to test out the transitions? Seed stitch is a nice common background where you need it and since it lies flat, may help with transitions.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this in progress.
This is thrilling! I am working up a sample with the stitch patterns that I have chosen, transitioning from one to the next. I've done the ruffle and have progressed nicely into the brocade with the seed stitch in between; it is working out beautifully. Thank you so much.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #40
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Thank you for sharing!
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Here is my Japanese Feather stole:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtL...ole-or-scarf-2

Here's my Japanese Feather scarf:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtL...stole-or-scarf
The scarf and the stole are gorgeous! I love the notes that you made as you progressed, and your mantra "just one more row". It is a marvel to watch such a thing of beauty flowing from the tips of the needles, how can one possibly stop?