Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Coconut Oil
Okay, weird topic, but does anyone else use coconut oil? Pure coconut oil not lotion.

I use it on my face, put it in my coffee and oil pull with it. I'll be getting my cholesterol done soon so I'm curious how it's doing and if you use it what your experience is..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-29-2013), N0obKnitter (04-07-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Not weird Jan,

I have very dry skin and use Coconut oil for lotion, especially on hands and feet. Great stuff!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (02-24-2013), N0obKnitter (04-07-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

It was interesting to see your post b/c in a google search to occupy myself while I "Ferberize" my youngest son (7months) I found some sites saying that coconut oil is my ticket to a full nights sleep. There were talking about it being in solid form though...more like shortening that would be stirred into cereal at mealtime. Is there a liquid form too if you are putting it in coffee?
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
It was interesting to see your post b/c in a google search to occupy myself while I "Ferberize" my youngest son (7months) I found some sites saying that coconut oil is my ticket to a full nights sleep. There were talking about it being in solid form though...more like shortening that would be stirred into cereal at mealtime. Is there a liquid form too if you are putting it in coffee?
It's all solid below 75 degrees or so because its not hydrogenated. What I do is put a couple teaspoons in my cup with a few oz of coffee, stir to melt, then I use my small frother to emulsify it a bit and add the rest of the coffee. You don't have to froth it though. I didn't at first either. It does puddle up a bit without it though.

Start slow with just a teaspoon in a cup to two till you see how you like it and how your body reacts. I drink two cups with about 2-3 tsp now.

I am sleeping better most nights now, but I don't know if it's all the CO or just a lucky break. Time will tell. I still take a sleeping pill, but many nights I only need half and I'm sleeping solid for 6 hours which is new and so nice!

Also... I didn't like the taste of coconut in my coffee. I buy Jarrow Formula expeller pressed and is neutral in flavor. I usually buy it at Sprouts, but but it on amazon last time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

I bought a large container of pure unprocessed coconut oil. I use it after a shower instead of lotion. It melts quickly, a little goes a long way, and it rubs in and soaks in well. I mainly bought it to use as a conditioner for my hair. Every few weeks I will oil my hair well and leave it several hours or all day then wash it out. After I wash my hair I will apply a small portion to the ends of my hair. You can find a lot on YouTube about using coconut oil for hair. I have read where it is good for cooking, but I can't afford it for cooking. I use a clean spoon to collect a small amount from the container and let it melt in the palm of my hands then I apply it. It taste great too.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
sarahrose35
Casting On

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Okay, weird topic, but does anyone else use coconut oil? Pure coconut oil not lotion.

I use it on my face, put it in my coffee and oil pull with it. I'll be getting my cholesterol done soon so I'm curious how it's doing and if you use it what your experience is..
i use coconut wash sara
sarahrose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post

YUP! I'm a fan, but... and please understand this is coming from a loving place... Please use your coconut oil externally - face, oil pulling and then spit it out, but don't ingest it if you have high cholesterol!! Coconut oil is 100% pure saturated fat!! Skip all oils, all of them, as well as animal foods and processed foods, stick to 100% whole plant based diet, and that cholesterol level will fall! see Heart Attack Proof by Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn. He details all of this in his book and videos (YouTube him!)
Old 03-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

We are going to have to agree to disagree, Monidew. I've read a few books and done some research on it myself and I'm not really seeing anything bad except from pharmaceutical companies and places who are in their pocket like AMA, ADA, etc. They are all still pushing low, low fat and whole grains and yet..the rate of heart disease and obesity is off the charts.

Even Dr. Oz, a cardiologist, agrees it's good for you.
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/surpr...ts-coconut-oil

We only use olive oil and coconut oil at my house. I avoid all polyunsaturated oils unless it's unavoidable like when I'm visiting or eating out.

Okay, off my soapbox. All that said I think everyone has to find a way of eating they are comfortable with. My WOE is low carb with good fats and protein. My BP is the lowest it's been in 10 yrs, I've lost 25lbs. Works for me.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-07-2013), Paulaque (03-17-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Way to go, Jan!

Last time my BP was checked it was up to 117/70. I'm typing that again so you know it's not a typo: 117/70. It was up that day.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-07-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
newamy
Working the Gusset

Mondew is correct. Here is a nice summary of the latest research. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does...clog-arteries/

The reason our bad health is off the charts is due to high fructose corn syrurp, processed grains--often things labled whole grain are not really whole. Lack of protective of phytonutrients in the standard American diet. (meaning lack of vegetables), Food addictions and that the USDA recommendations are co-opted by special interest groups such as the meat and dairy and sugar and corn boards.

Dr. Esselstyn is an excellent source for moire info---I heard him speak in person last fall--he is vibrant and amazing and i in his 80's but I had to look up his age to figure that out. There is similar research being done by Dr. Joel Fhurman, --he wrote Eat to Live, his new book is End Diabetes, or you can check out Dr. Neil Bernard at the Physicians committee for responsible medicine, Dr Collin T Cambell of the China Study, and watch the documentary Forks over Knives. The bottom line is there is no money in healthy plant based recommendations, the beef and dairy industry loose as do the pharmaceutical companies and so does out sick care industry. Eat whole foods plant based diets and stay away from doctor! As Dr. Gregerson says in the video the coconut oil may not be terribly harmful if you already eat really well whole foods plant based and low cholesterol but it won't improve anything if you don't.

I've been vegetarian for years but 2 yrs ago moved to Dr. Fuhrman's style of eating I'm 50 pounds lighter healthier than when I was in my 20's have perfect blood cholesterol LDL, HDL, high energy, I'm stronger, exercise is easier and more desired than before, I feel younger every day. I'm 45. We changed our daughters diet and her asthma is now gone and my husband reversed an autoimmune disorder---hmmm now there are no meds we need to buy.

Also Dr, OZ recommends anything, he has featured Dr. Fuhrman many times but then turns around and features someone else advocating the exact opposite, although the book Eat to Live is called a "medical break through" by Dr. OZ on the cover of the book and he wrote the forward in the new new addition.

It's all worth checking out.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newamy For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (03-12-2013)