Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #71
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks, Jan, that method is pure genius. I don't like throwing, but I think I might try it anyway for Fair Isle, because the way I'm doing it right now is kinda slow going. And I love the idea of a woven look on the WS rather than floats. I might have missed something in the last video section, because I didn't understand what the fourth stitch type does, although I understand how to do it. Is the purpose of the fourth stitch to do multiple left-hand stitches and have them woven?

Thanks for posting that link.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #72
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I use the method shown on this video.
http://www.philosopherswool.com/Page...andedvideo.htm

This is the video I learned with because I do use two hands. It's much faster for me. Yeah, tradition fair isle is 2 colors. I usually just put it on hats and make up my own design as I go along.
Jan, do you know of a source for learning the two-handed weaving Fair Isle technique for the purl side? I didn't have any trouble learning the two-handed method for knitting in the round, but now I have a project I want to do that uses Fair Isle knit flat. I figured out how to catch the floats (on the WS) when I'm (1) purling with the yarn in my right hand, but I can't for the life of me figure out (2) catching the floats (on the WS) when I'm doing several purl sts with the yarn in my left hand. Vogue Knitting has some illustrations of the weaving technique, but for the WS, it shows only (1) and not (2). Do you know how to do (2)?

I have some wonderful half-stranded socks to try (Fair Isle only on the top of the sock), but I don't want floats inside the sock.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #73
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by dancejunky View Post
Jan, do you know of a source for learning the two-handed weaving Fair Isle technique for the purl side?
LOL, almost immediately after posting this question, I found some instructions in Stitch 'n Bitch Superstar Knitting. Man, I am so glad I have a knitting library.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #74
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,306 Posts
Good question, I'm glad you found an answer. Is it online somewhere, or will I have to buy a book, or could someone explain it for me? I've just started playing with this Fair Isle stuff and want to learn techniques I won't then need to unlearn if that makes sense.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #75
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Good question, I'm glad you found an answer. Is it online somewhere, or will I have to buy a book, or could someone explain it for me?.
I've been looking for it online for a few days, and I was able to find all but that last bit I mentioned above. If you can't get hold of the book, I'll try to explain it, but it's very tricky to explain, especially without any visuals. That book was published 3 years ago, so there's a good chance you could find it at the library or through interlibrary loan.

Before you do that, though, it might be a good idea to learn ordinary Fair Isle (with floats instead of weaving), just to get the hang of basic Fair Isle. Try the 2-handed method, cuz that's what you'll use when you add weaving (catching the floats).

Jan, have you found any drawbacks to catching every st rather than just catching the middle of a long float? Apparently there's some controversy; some people say weaving every st makes the fabric too stiff.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #76
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I was playing with cotton yarn the last couple days doing a Fair Isle checkerboard pattern in the round and trying to get the hang of being a two fisted knitter and yesterday I tried the method in the video and thought it was really pretty easy. FWIW at this early stage, the method of catching every other stitch did seem less stretchy but at the same time, my tension was more even. I've not tried FI flat knitting yet.

I think I can check the library for the book on my computer (a light just came on!) which would be pretty easy. Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #77
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I figured it out!!!!!
Originally Posted by dancejunky View Post
Jan, do you know of a source for learning the two-handed weaving Fair Isle technique for the purl side?

I did it! I did it!

I actually figured out how to do it!

Whew! Getting that excited is exhausting.

After I recouperate I'll see if I can write out how to do it so that it makes sense. No promises.

Sometimes insomnia has it's benefits. I hate waking up at 3:45 and can't go back to sleep but I'm not sure I would have gotten this thing figured out if I hadn't!

I did it! I did it!

Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #78
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Congrats, GrumpyGramma! I'm kinda wishing this info about Fair Isle wasn't buried in a thread about my argyle socks. It would be nice if the Fair Isle posts could be moved into a thread about Fair Isle so people who need info on that could find it. Mods?
The Following User Says Thank You to dancejunky For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #79
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Sorry I didn't see your question. I had to go get a new router which is confusing since I know almost nothing about this sort of thing. Anyhoo..I've only done fair isle in the round so I wouldn't have known. Glad you figured it out!

Carol, I don't do every stitch. I only do it about every 3 which seems to work fine. I can see where doing it every stitch would make it stiff.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #80
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

The flat FI I'm doing with acrylic worsted is somewhat comparable to Tunisian crochet if you're familiar with that. Double thick like dk but the back isn't stretchy like in dk.

Jan, sorry 'bout your router troubles. If it's not one thing, it's something else with computers. Did you get it working or did you have to resort to plugging in a cable. I lived so contently w/o wifi now I have it, it's a necessity!

Last edited by GrumpyGramma : 03-15-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: moved :hair: