Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,057 Times in 2,569 Posts
Originally Posted by ABC's Mom View Post
Beautifully done as always!!!
How did you keep the sweater from getting smelly with wet towels over it for a week?
I wondered the same thing but since I don't block things, using acrylic yarn as I do, I thought maybe that's why I don't know.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,892 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by ABC's Mom View Post
How did you keep the sweater from getting smelly with wet towels over it for a week?

That's a good question.

All I can come up with is this: I thoroughly soak my pieces in a very high quality fiber wash and rinse before blocking them, before seaming them. I allow each piece to soak in the fiber wash for about 15 minutes, then gently squeeze the water through them. Then repeat the same thing using the fiber rinse. So, I'm thinking...being so thoroughly clean, free of contaminants...perhaps that's why my wool coat didn't become smelly. Plus, the terry cloths that I plopped on top of them have never been used on the human body. No residue of human skin cells, or oils, etc. They are white, and I do not use them on anything but my knitting...like to block the seams and buttonbands, if needed, after the fact. IMO...Finishing is as important as the knitting itself.

Here's a write-up about the Unicorn (brand name) Fiber Wash and Fiber Rinse:

Created to protect and maintain the beauty of all fibers...from raw fleece and yarns, to your most cherished hand-knit possessions.
  • Gently deep cleans embedded dirt and staining
  • Optimizes cleaning with less tangling and matting
  • Softens scratchy yarns
  • Removes odor-causing contaminants trapped within fiber
  • Non-yellowing – No fillers
  • Biodegradable – Earth Friendly
You'll notice it mentions: "removes odor-causing contaminants trapped within fiber".

You should see the wash water after soaking undyed natural cream Malabrigo sweater pieces! What you thought was cream yarn...renders enough filth to make you ill. I knit this Malabrigo sweater several years ago, and I was so shocked at the state of the wash water I just had to take photos of it!

Can you even believe it? I knit fast and furious, so my yarns didn't become
dirty from knitting something over two years.

This Unicorn Fiber Wash really does clean, without injuring the fibers. Right now, the Unicorn people seem to be offering free samples. You'll see the offer on their Home Page. Click here.

My wash water from the Nell (grey coat) also rendered dirt...although not as much dirt as that undyed natural Malabrigo! I have read that the dying process itself removes a lot of dirt. But only something like a quality fiber wash will remove the unseen contaminants and icky stuff from animal fiber yarns.

Another factor in behalf of using a quality fiber wash prior to seaming: if you left this 'unseen' dirt and filth in the yarn, it has to grind on your yarn. Wouldn't you think so?

Here is the Malabrigo set:

Here is the matching cami-tank, before I had soaked it in the fiber wash and rinse.
It looks clean, doesn't it? But it also rendered just as much filth! Unbelievable.

I knit the jacket from beginning to end, then decided to knit a matching cami-tank to wear with it, using the same cable for the band, then seaming it into a band, then picking up stitches along one edge, and knitting down in-the-round, then knitting the ribbing. Then the i-cord straps.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
Thanks for the info about Unicorn. It cost $2.07 for the shipping, but that's a small price to pay to try it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #14
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Thanks for the info about Unicorn. It cost $2.07 for the shipping, but that's a small price to pay to try it.

Great! I'm glad you're going to try it, Jan!

You see that photo of the wash water from my cream Malabrigo sweater pieces....well, even more dirt came out in the rinse water! But, despite the powerful cleaning abilities, the Unicorn Wash and Rinse is very gentle on the yarn!

I know you'll love it. Psst: it just takes a small quantity. Follow the directions. Don't be tempted to use too much.

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Great! I'm glad you're going to try it, Jan!

You see that photo of the wash water from my cream Malabrigo sweater pieces....well, even more dirt came out in the rinse water! But, despite the powerful cleaning abilities, the Unicorn Wash and Rinse is very gentle on the yarn!

I know you'll love it. Psst: it just takes a small quantity. Follow the directions. Don't be tempted to use too much.
I've been using Woolite before blocking things. Guess I'll try the kind you use to see if there is a difference.
Thanks for the info.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

@ ArtLady 1981 Your cabled sweater is stunning.You do superb work !

I have the same yarn sitting here waiting for me to knit DH a Basketcase Jacket but I know he would rather have this one. Is this an Elizabeth Zimmermans? I made three jackets so far and each one of them needed a 'Garment Stitch' in the shoulders. This will help with them growing when it's a heavy piece. I use a matching color in a strong cotton yarn.

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nanaof6 For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,346 Times in 3,030 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly about time spent finishing a knit project. You've already invested money and precious time in the knitting. Why skimp at the finishing, blocking and washing?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Phenomenally beautiful work, ArtLady! You're a knitting goddess!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Nanaof6 View Post
I have the same yarn sitting here waiting for me to knit DH a Basketcase Jacket but I know he would rather have this one.Is this an Elizabeth Zimmermans? I made three jackets so far and each one of them needed a 'Garment Stitch' in the shoulders. This will help with them growing when it's a heavy piece. I use a matching color in a strong cotton yarn.
Are you asking about my Nell pattern, or the Viveca pattern (the white one I shared as reference about the dirt that comes out of a project).

My Nell is in a Rowan Book.
My Viveca is in a Elsebeth Lavold book.

I don't knit Elizabeth Zimmerman designs. Not saying she's not great...just sayin.
I just haven't found an EZ design that beckons me.

Hmmm...garment stitch, eh? Wonder what that is? Never heard of it in contemporary patterns. Maybe it's just plain mattress stitch?

Well, now I'll have to google it! It sounds very interesting!

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

PS: Garment Stitch looks like it's Mattress Stitch by another name. Click here.

Artlady at Rav