Old 03-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Antares
Working the Gusset

If you'd like to compost, you might try the tumbler composting bins. They come in small sizes, and they don't stink because they're contained.

I have a new blueberry bush this year, too. It's pretty small, but I hope to have some berries some day (maybe next year?).

I will have to encourage my husband to drink more coffee so I can dump the coffee grounds on the blueberry--or just make coffee and pour it down the drain so I get the benefit of the grounds (can't drink the nasty stuff myself).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,567 Posts
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
If you'd like to compost, you might try the tumbler composting bins. They come in small sizes, and they don't stink because they're contained.

I have a new blueberry bush this year, too. It's pretty small, but I hope to have some berries some day (maybe next year?).

I will have to encourage my husband to drink more coffee so I can dump the coffee grounds on the blueberry--or just make coffee and pour it down the drain so I get the benefit of the grounds (can't drink the nasty stuff myself).

Check with local coffee shops. Starbucks puts their grounds out for anyone to pick up, you just have to check frequently and grab 'em when they're out before someone else gets them. They'll turn funny colors, orange and green, and I've even read that some of the fungi or whatever it is makes them glow in the dark but it won't hurt your compost or your garden. If used as mulch they can crust over and you might need to break it up to let water through. Just to make sure it's clear: Brown coffee grounds are green for composting. White paper filters are brown. Go figure.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

The garden looks delightful Jan. Thanks for sharing your DHs great work on the raised bed!

I've wanted a fig tree for so very long, and finally set one out yesterday - got enough exercise for three people digging the hole to China to plant it.

Your photo has given me the "oomph" to get back into my garden beds next weekend with some vegetables. No digging to China required.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
He used both seedlings and seeds. He also went a little crazy so they'll need thinning soon.

I have coffee every day so I save up the grounds for a week including filter and he just puts it all on the blueberry. After a bit he takes out the filters. He brought home grounds from the donut store once, but it's way too much for one bush.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #15
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

We just got the email that the local community garden is gearing up again for this year. A local church turned extra, wasted space into about 50 garden plots for the community. They also have charity plots for those who need it.
We get an approximately 15x20 plot, tilled in the fall and the spring, auto sprinking when needed, all the compost you can use for a whooping $10 a season!!
It will be awhile yet before we can plant here in MI, but sure looking forward to the fresh veggies again this year.
We had so much last year I had to buy another freezer!!
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Originally Posted by ABC's Mom View Post
We just got the email that the local community garden is gearing up again for this year. A local church turned extra, wasted space into about 50 garden plots for the community. They also have charity plots for those who need it.
We get an approximately 15x20 plot, tilled in the fall and the spring, auto sprinking when needed, all the compost you can use for a whooping $10 a season!!
It will be awhile yet before we can plant here in MI, but sure looking forward to the fresh veggies again this year.
We had so much last year I had to buy another freezer!!
Wow, that is awesome! My DH would love that!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Well between your three million finished projects and now you have a garden growing, I'm not happy with this site at all right now!!! I finished one sock (need the second), almost finished a hat (perhaps my husband can wear it this winter after all!) and then this at the weekend. Again:

Ach, I'm so over Winter all ready! And I want to have time to knit too, anyone got any to spare?? We normally get our little veggie garden going in April and I would have started my pepper and tomato seeds indoors by now but we won't be doing either this year as we're heading to England for three weeks mid-April. Suppose that's something to look forward to at least!!

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

We had a Compost Tumblr and a bear ripped it apart! The same bear (we think) got into the garage when the back door got left open. He opened the fridge and drank beer and pepsi. The Bear League had to come shoot him w/ a tranqulizer gun and haul him away. So composting here is difficult!

I would like to get some blueberry bushes. I saw some in Vermont and our climate here by Lake Tahoe is similar.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
We had a Compost Tumblr and a bear ripped it apart! The same bear (we think) got into the garage when the back door got left open. He opened the fridge and drank beer and pepsi. The Bear League had to come shoot him w/ a tranqulizer gun and haul him away. So composting here is difficult!
I think that has to be the best excuse for not composting that I've ever heard!! At least I don't have to deal with that! Although I watered my deck flower boxes with a fish food fertilizer once, thinking it would be good for them (it was) and the smell would dissipate after a day or two (it did). What I didn't contend with was attracting all the neighbourhood racoons who dug the flowers and soil out of my boxes every darn evening for three nights looking for whatever tasty food was in there! We had to put the boxes in the garage at night for a few days until the fertilizer smell went away!

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Antares
Working the Gusset

For those of you with varmint problems (both the large kind [bear] and the small variety [raccoon]), let me recommend getting a guard donkey. No, I didn't misspell that. I said a guard DONKEY. Ranchers use them to protect sheep and goats around here. Heck, the donkey's will even protect people. I know this because a donkey that was briefly left at my parents' house was protecting my mom!!

So forget the dog and get yourself a real, honest-to-goodness donkey. I've suggested to my husband that we'll need one here once we get chickens this spring. I've proposed that we just let it roam the neighborhood much like the previous neighbor's dog did. Wouldn't it be nice to wake up to a loud "HEEEEE-HAWWWW HEEEEEE-HAWWWW" every morning, and just think of the extra fertilizer you'd have!!

And jinxnit55, if you'd just serve that bear in a regular way (like, leaving his beverage of choice on a picnic table), you wouldn't have to worry about your composter or your freezer.

Last edited by Antares : 03-18-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote