Old 03-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

That's the thing,there's one in my tote of yarns that I don't know what it is..I bought it several years ago and no longer have the label.Oh well,if I can't figure out what it is,I'll just get rid of it!I think it's silly to put pesticides on yarn!
OHmama is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Agreed.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Lamb's Pride Bulky is the one I used that is mothproofed. When you think about it though, children's sleepwear is required to be treated with a flame retardant chemical. No one really thinks about that.

Soy is in everything these days, which is why I stopped using margarine. Read the labels. I don't want to be dictated to by someone who thinks they know what I should and shouldn't eat. With the food and the moth proofed yarn, it would have been nice to be consulted first or given an alternative.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm wondering too,like Jan said,if most wools are mothproofed and we just aren't told about it. Brown Sheep said that both their LP and Superwash are mothproof and I do own both of these.I still have the label for the superwash and don't remember seeing anything about it...I really just want to throw everything away..newly knit baby hat and all :(

As for the flame retardant pj's,I just buy the ones without..that say they need to be snug fitting..but I guess flame retardants are on lots of things..couches,car seats,a lot of things.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #15
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

And think about it. Moths come out in the spring/summer. Sweaters are put away then. What is the chance of a moth eating your sweater? Pretty slim. This is why girls 50 years ago had hope chests to store things like lace tablecloths before they got married. They were made of cedar, which is a natural moth repellent. Lane hope chests used to be advertised in all the bridal magazines in the 1970's, but they're not in fashion anymore.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

OK Brown sheep said that even if it wasn't on their label in 2008,it was still mothproofed. Here is the exact message" The current labels do say "Permanently mothproofed," but that may not have been on the label back in 2008. I'll ask the mill about that, too! However, even if the label does not say they are, they have been mothproofed. Otherwise, our mill would be a mass of moths from all the wool we have working all the time!"
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,000 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Otherwise, our mill would be a mass of moths from all the wool we have working all the time!"
That's why I wondered if all wool has been mothproofed.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
This all makes more sense now. I'm hiking as long as a garment is washed it's probably fine. Still a little freaky though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote