Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Oddball Pet Snuggles -- Part 2
(Part 1 is here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=83565]

The first thread -- started back in 2008! -- has gotten so long and there have been so many changes (most notably in leadership) that I thought it was time to spin a new one.

Many thanks to Sandy (Shandeh) for getting us started making pet snuggles to donate to animal shelters and rescue centers.

Inspired by (but not affiliated with) the Snuggles Project and our own charity "oddball" blankets, we have been knitting acrylic oddball blankets sized for animal cages.

Our blog (http://oddballsnuggles.blogspot.com/) has photos of the blankets that have been made and donated in the past year.

Description of the project:

We are making these blankets out or acrylic yarn. Stash yarn is acceptable and encouraged! Some of us have fun coordinating our yarns and colors with the other sections of the blanket, but it isn't necessary -- the animals don't care.

These will measure about 25" x 24" inches when completed. According to the snuggles website, this is is the guideline size for for cats and small to medium dogs.

What to do:

These snuggles are made with 2 strands of worsted weight acrylic yarn held together and a size 10 - 11 circular needle.

First knitter: Cast on 72 stitches and knit (garter stitch) for about 5 inches (about 15 ridges). Leave the stitches "live" on the needle, put it in an envelope, and send to the second knitter.

Second, third, and fourth knitters: With your yarn, knit (garter stitch) for 5 inches. Leaving the stitches on the needles, package and mail to the next knitter.

Fifth (last) knitter: With your yarn, knit (garter stitch) for 5 inches. Bind off, take a picture for me , and drop off at your shelter.

I'll start a sign up list for the next blanket and the last knitter becomes the first knitter!

Additional comments:

We will have signups for each snuggle here in this thread; when we have enough knitters, I will evaluate the order of knitters based on the position the people request as well as on who has donated most recently (or not at all.) I want everyone to have a chance to turn in a blanket, if they want. Most likely everyone will stay in the order they signup, but it is not absolute.

Feel free to chat and make non-snuggle related posts. I will be doing so and would prefer to not be talking by myself.

If you have any questions, please comment here or send me a PM and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (04-28-2013)