Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Oddball Pet Snuggles -- Part 2
(Part 1 is here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=83565]

The first thread -- started back in 2008! -- has gotten so long and there have been so many changes (most notably in leadership) that I thought it was time to spin a new one.

Many thanks to Sandy (Shandeh) for getting us started making pet snuggles to donate to animal shelters and rescue centers.

Inspired by (but not affiliated with) the Snuggles Project and our own charity "oddball" blankets, we have been knitting acrylic oddball blankets sized for animal cages.

Our blog (http://oddballsnuggles.blogspot.com/) has photos of the blankets that have been made and donated in the past year.

Description of the project:

We are making these blankets out or acrylic yarn. Stash yarn is acceptable and encouraged! Some of us have fun coordinating our yarns and colors with the other sections of the blanket, but it isn't necessary -- the animals don't care.

These will measure about 25" x 24" inches when completed. According to the snuggles website, this is is the guideline size for for cats and small to medium dogs.

What to do:

These snuggles are made with 2 strands of worsted weight acrylic yarn held together and a size 10 - 11 circular needle.

First knitter: Cast on 72 stitches and knit (garter stitch) for about 5 inches (about 15 ridges). Leave the stitches "live" on the needle, put it in an envelope, and send to the second knitter.

Second, third, and fourth knitters: With your yarn, knit (garter stitch) for 5 inches. Leaving the stitches on the needles, package and mail to the next knitter.

Fifth (last) knitter: With your yarn, knit (garter stitch) for 5 inches. Bind off, take a picture for me , and drop off at your shelter.

I'll start a sign up list for the next blanket and the last knitter becomes the first knitter!

Additional comments:

We will have signups for each snuggle here in this thread; when we have enough knitters, I will evaluate the order of knitters based on the position the people request as well as on who has donated most recently (or not at all.) I want everyone to have a chance to turn in a blanket, if they want. Most likely everyone will stay in the order they signup, but it is not absolute.

Feel free to chat and make non-snuggle related posts. I will be doing so and would prefer to not be talking by myself.

If you have any questions, please comment here or send me a PM and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (04-28-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Current Snuggle Lists:

Sunrise Snuggie
1. maryknitwit
2. Mary Anne/salmonmac
3. Kari/kdodge8
4. Susan/susauehl
5. Felicia/felicity36 <-- Currently knitting

Muddy Paws:
1. Janis/Woofens
2. Mary Anne/salmonmac
3. Katie/sakura-panda
4. Kari/kdodge8 <-- Currently knitting
5. Susan/susauehl

MIA Snuggles:

Patriotic Pets:
1. Mary Anne/salmonmac
2. Mary Anne/salmonmac
3. maryknitwit
4. KrisitinMei <-- Currently knitting ?
5. susauehl

Pumpkin Patch
1. Susan/susauehl
2. Janis/Woofens
3. Kristin/KristinMei <-- Currently knitting ?
4. Katie/sakura-panda
5. Kari/kdodge8

Scrappy Snuggie: (Unmatched/no two sections are the same color)
1. Lizars1735
2. maryknitwit <-- Currently knitting ?
3. Mary Anne/salmonmac
4. sakura-panda
5. Janis/Woofens

Looking for knitters:

None! All blankets currently assigned!

Done and waiting for photo:

None! All past blankets are posted for your viewing pleasure on the blog!

Last edited by sakura-panda : 06-18-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Updated list
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I've finished my section of Into the Forest and it's ready to go to the next knitter. I'll be starting Collie Cuddle this week (now that I've found both yarns and the needles -- I need to get started before I lose one of them again! )

What's going on with everyone else? We have spring break coming up and have been discussing driving down to Kentucky and visiting a few sites over the week.
KristinMei (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
KristinMei
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for setting up the new thread! Do you need my address?

I've been on spring break this week and have been reveling in doing nothing! In reality, I've done quite a bit of school work and other little projects around the house, but it's nice to be able to relax a little.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by KristinMei View Post
Thanks for setting up the new thread! Do you need my address?

I've been on spring break this week and have been reveling in doing nothing! In reality, I've done quite a bit of school work and other little projects around the house, but it's nice to be able to relax a little.

I still have your address from Calico Kitty and if you've moved -- I hope your mail is getting forwarded! I'm dropping it off to the post office after work tonight -- my post office has an after hours postage station so I can send it even though they will be closed when I get there -- hopefully you get it early next week.

It's always nice to get caught up on things without the pressure of some other deadline or schedule hanging over your head. I'm glad you had a relatively relaxing week! I'm ready to get out and away for awhile and am looking forward to seeing some new sights.

I started Collie Cuddle last night -- continental, since if I mess up and I can frog and it only affects my own work. It's going pretty well so far. Relatively slowly, but not much slower than my usual knitting, and no dropped stitches, so that's good.
susauehl (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
KristinMei
Ribbing the Cuff

Sounds great! I haven't moved, so the address should be good.

Good luck with the continental. I learned to knit continental and haven't tried anything else yet.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post

I started Collie Cuddle last night -- continental, since if I mess up and I can frog and it only affects my own work. It's going pretty well so far. Relatively slowly, but not much slower than my usual knitting, and no dropped stitches, so that's good.
Good luck with continental. I switched from English to continental and I like it better. Much less motion on the knit stitch.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizars1735 For This Useful Post:
susauehl (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
KristinMei
Ribbing the Cuff

I received "Into the Forest" yesterday, it looks great. Thank you so much for the goodies, Katie!
sakura-panda (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I received "Into the Forest" yesterday, it looks great. Thank you so much for the goodies, Katie!

Great! I was wondering if you received it. I used the self-service postage machine -- it was about 9:30 pm, after hours -- and *after* I put it in the dropbox, I read the notice on the door that packages greater than 13 ounces *must* be taken to a clerk or it would be returned.

My receipt said it was 14+ ounces and I have been afraid that it was on its way back to me instead of going to you.

On the other hand, the machine that *weighed my package and printed my postage* should have warned me that it was too heavy instead of only asking me to check that it would fit in the drop!

I'm glad you got it so promptly!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Good luck with the continental. I learned to knit continental and haven't tried anything else yet.
Originally Posted by Lizars1735 View Post
Good luck with continental. I switched from English to continental and I like it better. Much less motion on the knit stitch.

Thanks! I've been so busy this week getting ready for spring break that I haven't been working on it. I may take it to swim class with me tonight -- I usually don't because it is so *humid* in the bleachers that the yarn seems extra sticky and I don't like that.

Maybe I'll take it on vacation with me and then mail it out from wherever I am when I finish! That could be fun!

We're going to Kentucky, and I don't know if it's the season or if it's always like this, but all the attractions we are visiting are closed by 6 pm. I'm not used to getting enforced downtime like that. By the time we have dinner and all, it won't be a lot of free time, but since we're usually in bed by 10 or 11 (after getting the kids down around 9 or 10) we'll still have a lot of idle time.

I'm taking my computer, so I can do some scrapbooking and journaling about our day, but I can spare some time to work on this blanket too.