Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

hey everyone, thanks for the replies.

just so you know i'm knitting 3 inch blocks for the blanket so I can't exactly show her the blanket on a needle. Yes i'm going to go and do the dreaded seaming up blocks thing when its over. I did try and pick and knit so i wouldn't have to do all this seaming business but i made a mess somehow doing it and i thought i was kind of ruining the blanket so i just decided to knit the blocks individually.

I am using 4mm acrylic needles (or are they plastic :/) and I'm using baby Aran wool. The pattern I am using is this one http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...ter-baby-throw

Oh please follow my blog: http://adknitaholic.blogspot.co.uk Its not much at the moment but hopefully it will be, at some stage.

Last edited by ad2knit : 03-27-2013 at 02:26 PM.
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ad2knit For This Useful Post:
Paulaque (03-27-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Ok, thanks for the link and the information on needles. So the weight of the blanket isn't the problem. It may just be subconscious anxiety about finishing on time and perhaps more hours knitting than you're used to. Taking a rest from knitting and coming back with only limited time with the needles may help.
ad2knit (03-27-2013), Paulaque (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Ok, thanks for the link and the information on needles. So the weight of the blanket isn't the problem. It may just be subconscious anxiety about finishing on time and perhaps more hours knitting than you're used to. Taking a rest from knitting and coming back with only limited time with the needles may help.
Yes that is probably what it is lol - that or I'm just very into the knitting. once you start you cant stop type of thing lol! I should probably have like a timer on me set to buzz to tell me to stop or something after like 5 mins of knitting or something. Oh i'm going to be upset it won't be finished on time :( I don't want to show up to the shower empty handed.....although i know she'll get the blanket eventually but its something different than getting a baby grow or something like that isn't it? :( Hey ho.

Thanks for all your comments everyone. Anything else i can do? do you think wearing wrist braces would also help or anything?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I breathe just fine when knitting, but I do find myself tensing up. I'm constantly having to tell myself: "Shoulders DOWN." I don't know why I scrunch up shoulders all the time, but it sure makes knitting much more stressful than it ought to be.

Great advice, GG. I'll have to try washing dishes in really hot water: It doesn't waste as much water, and it's more productive than just standing in the shower!
This is where the resting on a pillow while knitting helps me, I make sure my shoulders are kept down whilst I'm knitting. Otherwise soreness on my arms happen yikes.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
I'm working on knitting backwards (something new for me) and I noticed my hands and wrists were complaining. I have to pay attention to how I'm holding the needles, doing something new I find I'm trying to get a death grip on them like I did when I first started knitting. So, I'm thinking that you might see if you can loosen your grip on the needles and pay attention to how you're moving your hands, wrists, arms as you knit. Just a thought based on my current new experience.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

I am a relatively new knitter and at first my hands were KILLING me! Partly because I was tensing up and anxious about what I was trying, and also because I get obsessive and wouldn't stop to take a break. I use a computer at work, too so there's your double whammy.

I started some stretches, made myself take breaks more often, and once I got more comfortable with what I was doing, it seemed to ease up. Also, I got some good quality needles so the yarn slid over them, and I wasn't having to force anything.

I was lamenting about this to a friend who also knits, and she said, "Awwhh, just suck it up; your hands will get used to it," which also sort of turned out to be true. All of the above seemed to coalesce into being able to do it without too much pain (over a month or so). However, if the pain HADN'T gone away, I would've taken a break and just READ obsessively about knitting. I also ordered a video about stretches for carpal tunnel syndrome, but I never had to use it! HTH
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #17
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Well, we all understand about knitting just one more row or 10 or 12. I'd say the timer is a good idea unless it makes you tense up and knit faster because of the time constraint. You could try knitting one block or half a block or some number of rows at each sitting.
Antares' idea is a good one. Take a small sample of the blanket, maybe 4 squares sewn together, to the shower to give an idea of what this lovely blanket will look like.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I also think it's a mix between knitting too tightly and anxiety over time constraints on the project. Have a cup of tea, take a deep breath and relax. Knitting is supposed to be fun! I'm sure a bit of relaxation will do you no end of good.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #19
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Clearly I need to rest my hands a bit longer than 4 days.....
This morning i woke up and got dressed and everything and I thought "ah no pain, perfect. I'll get back to the blanket and work on it SLOWLY and WITH BREAKS. I've knitted 3 rows and had like 3 breaks each time...but my index fingers are hurting a little again...so perhaps i need to take a little bit of a longer break before i start knitting again. grrrr!

Ive tried knitting continental cos i read somewhere its easier on the hands but as easy as it is, for some reason i'm tensing up trying to do it and also my knitting is rather loose knitting continental..so think i'm going to continue knitting english until the blanket is done. I'd hate for my squares to look odd - what a rubbish present it would turn out to be otherwise.

I wonder if wearing a wrist brace or something like that would help? What do you all think?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
I'm a Continental knitter and for me it is easier. English style is just hard - for me. BUT - and this is important - one way is not better than the other. If trying to knit Continental makes things worse, don't worry about it and stick with what works for you. Maybe some English style knitters will have some good insights for you and I'll keep reading because maybe I'll pick up some good hints for me.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote