Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
mspenny
Casting On

Looking for "The Principles of Knitting" book
Hello fellow knitters,

As a new knitter without a home yarn shop, I need good reference books. I am interested in a used copy of "The Principles of Knitting" by Hiatt (1989?).

Thank you,
ms penny
mspenny is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,484 Times in 529 Posts
Hi Mspenny,

Principles of Knitting is a pretty rare book. You can try Amazon Marketplace, eBay or Abebooks. Amy (who made this website) got a copy back in 2004 and it cost around $350, and that was considered a really good price.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

WOW!!!!! Wonder how much it cost when it was brand new?!?!?

Just so you know, I got a copy from our local library through Interlibrary loan and it only cost me $1.00. I would recommend going that route first, just to see if you'd really use it, before shelling out the major bucks.

Just a thought!!!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

If you're still interested in purchasing this book, there is currently a copy for sale on eBay ... click here to check out the auction page.

As Sheldon had mentioned, it is rather rare and the price reflects that .... the asking price at the moment for the copy I linked to above is $225 USD.

I would probably suggest following KnitCindy's advice and checking to see if you can get a copy through your local library first to make sure that you really want to spend that kind of money on it!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
MargaretA
Casting On

Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
WOW!!!!! Wonder how much it cost when it was brand new?!?!?
I bought it new at a discount bookstore in PA for $14.95. The regular price was $19.95, I think.

About 3 years ago when I was really broke I took a long hard look at it and decided the money was more important than the book - especially when I rarely used it *and* when the local library had a copy of it. So I put it on eBay - and got about $225 for it.

Selling it turned out to be the right decision for me; I really don't miss it. But I do wish it would come back into print, just for the reason given in the first post here. IMHO, it is *the* definitive guide to knitting. (When I was writing the auction post, just to give people an idea of what was in it I counted the number of different cast-on methods it had. There were 32. Hiatt really put a lot of effort into that book.)

Meg
MargaretA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Arlene
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Arlene
Hi Everyone,
I was just at Amazon.com and the Principles of Knitting book is available for a pre-order for $45.00. It is being reprinted and due out in November of this year. Yippy! Just ordered mine.

Take care,
Arlene
Arlene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arlene For This Useful Post:
Gertie (03-22-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
1HappyGranny
Casting On

As a matter of fact I saw this week that Amazon is taking orders for a new release of the book for about $30.00. It's due out in Nov. this year. It's a great deal as used older copies are over 10 times that much.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Minne2
Casting On

Originally Posted by mspenny View Post
Hello fellow knitters,

As a new knitter without a home yarn shop, I need good reference books. I am interested in a used copy of "The Principles of Knitting" by Hiatt (1989?).

Thank you,
ms penny
Ditto to Arlene's comment, heard the same thing from a yarn shop owner here in Minnneapolis. Will have to check this out.
Minne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
yarnflyer
Casting On

POK was republished and has a lot more information in the new edition, I believe it is around $28.00, you can get the older edition used starting at $14.70 from Amazon.com/books if they still have some, but it stated they about 40 or so. I bought mine when they were no longer available and paid $125 at a book seller on the net.
Ouch.
yarnflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #10
yarnflyer
Casting On

Me again, yes they definitely have 50 used POK in stock at Amazon, they even have 2 Collectibles at $95, second Ouch.
yarnflyer is offline   Reply With Quote