Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #51
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,266 Times in 2,758 Posts
I get a teaspoon from my silverware drawer and scoop out a rounded spoonful. The CO is solid and not packed down but very well rounded, so may 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. My DD gave me the ends of 2 cans. This is the "deodorized" stuff, the other is not "deodorized" and more liquidy so I'll be able to measure it more accurately, more easily. I honestly didn't think it would help so I wasn't real careful about measuring. I think I'll start being more careful. Today I also decided to cut my 4 caps of turmeric back to 3.

I know it's spring now, the days are longer and there is more daylight, we even had sun today and some other days since I started taking the CO daily. Spring and longer days make me feel better. I haven't noticed this much difference so rapidly before so I'm even doing better besides physically. I can't give too much credit to the weather for my joints doing better simply because it's still been damp and rainy and that contributes to more problems.

I've been thinking of other ways of taking the CO. Mixed with something...peanut butter?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #52
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
Yeah, slowly increase. You may be getting more like two tsp. now in a rounded spoon like that. I get about two Tbl. Only put it in my coffee. Also oil pull with about 1.5 tsp.

I read a book called Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife on my Kindle. Library might have it if you're interested. I've read an oil pulling one by the same author. I'm not one of those people who believes everything I read, but the science and reasoning made sense. I do think my arthritis is better from the two things I do. I take less pain meds most days. And I am sleeping better most nights, too.

PB? Hmm.. Worth a try I guess. I try to avoid bread most of the time so I'd miss out.

The biggest thing I'm curious about now is how it will affect my cholesterol. Even though it does react differently inthe body since its an MCT it is a fat. I'll keep you posted if I ever get to the doc.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #53
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Quote:
I'm not one of those people who believes everything I read,
same here. I figure there are things that if I can't see any reason they'll do me harm, try them for a few weeks and see what happens. I knew you weren't the type to try every snake oil and miracle cure that comes along, so I gave real thought to what you said, did some reading of my own, gave it a go. I've slept every night since I started taking the stuff and I wake up feeling like I have slept. I'm still skeptical about how much the CO contributes to what benefits I've noticed, but at this point I'm going to continue with it. If it really has helped my knees, hands, sleeping, and overall feeling better, it's amazing stuff! I look forward to hearing what your cholesterol numbers are.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #54
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I'm still skeptical about how much the CO contributes to what benefits I've noticed, but at this point I'm going to continue with it. If it really has helped my knees, hands, sleeping, and overall feeling better, it's amazing stuff! I look forward to hearing what your cholesterol numbers are.
Thanks!

And my feeling on whether it works for some of these things is to keep taking it unless I hear otherwise it's a problem. If it continues and isn't just a natural fluctuation and nothing else has changed it makes sense. Weirdly, I seem to be noticing my neck hurts more when I eat bread...hmmm. I read a book (surprised? Lol) called Wheat Belly that makes me wonder...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 03-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #55
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Gluten. You may have a sensitivity to gluten. Gluten is in wheat, rye, barley, and at least one or two other grains I don't recall right now. Sensitivities are not the same as allergies, if you have a sensitivity to a certain food you might not be actually allergic to it and it would not show up in an allergy test. Food sensitivities can affect not only physical things such as a pain in the neck, but moods and emotional outbursts (OMG did my DS have those! from chicken, chicken eggs, tomatoes, peanuts, and dairy anything!) Also, when we don't eat gluten and dairy products for any length of time our bodies get so they don't want to deal with digesting them at all and the things they trigger become more pronounced when we do consume them. So...the less dairy products I eat, the less I can tolerate them when I do eat them. It's amazing how many foods contain gluten in an ingredient in the food, such as soy sauce and some flavorings derived from wheat. My DD's kitchen is GFCF, gluten-free casein-free, so no dairy, wheat, rye....

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/foods...gy-intolerance

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (03-29-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #56
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

my aunt's doc told her to use coconut oil twice a day as a deoderant, I have been waiting 2 weeks to report to you all that it works, and does not have anything harmful in it!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #57
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I've heard that Paula, but oil in my pits just sounds icky. I was using CO on my face at night, but it's still tending to make me break out a bit. I'm sure that is part of the healing process, but it's my face! I hate zits! I know it goes away eventually so maybe I'll just deal with it. Don't know.

GG, I wondered about that. I eat low carb so get relatively little wheat/gluten now which is probably why it seems to stand out. I plan Togo wheat free this summer, but with DDand fiancÚ here it's proven to be more difficult so low is all I can do right now. Maybe once I'm used to it it'll be easier.

I don't eat much dairy now due to lactose intolerance. I can eat a small piece of cheddar with no problem and Yogurtland frozen yogurt (in reasonable amounts), and greek yogurt so other than lactose dairy isn't an issue. Cheddar is aged so has lactose, Greek is fermented longer with the same results so maybe that's why for me.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #58
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

OK, Paula, I'm trying to be open minded here but as Jan said...still something makes the stick deodorants smear on, it must be some sort of oil or something. Apparently CO is anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial. It makes sense it would work.

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 78 fl. oz. @ Costco, $22. DD picked it up for me, then pulled a switcheroo and gave me one she already had because it's expiry date is earlier than the latest purchase. Works for me. The stuff I was using originally was past pull date but seemed just fine. As she said, I'll use it up faster than she will and there's no point in having it sit around longer than necessary. I plan to start using it in cooking now I'm not hoarding a small jar of it. I don't think I'll put it on my face; anything that claims to moisturize makes me break out. I might, just not now. I wonder how it would work on owies.

Today I've indulged in Almond Joy pieces because we couldn't find the candy bars. I had a nasty headache and they work to make it go away too. I don't like them, don't like Almond Joy candy bars, but they make the pain go away. One of my DD's midwives said they worked for her too.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #59
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I love Almond Joy, but try not to eat so much sugar which is also carby. Interesting about the headaches!

I get a 32oz CO from Amazon for $13. I have Amazon Prime so free two day shipping, too! Of course I don't get that type your DD gets. I prefer the one with no flavor. It's still organic, but expeller pressed with no solvents used.

CO works great on ingrown hairs and other owies. I wouldn't use it on a cut at first although it may be fine. I've just used it onthe ingrown hair and a cat scratch.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #60
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

I have a spot of irritated skin that my clothes rub and it just doesn't seem to go away. I put a bit of CO on it and it feels so much better! I'll do it again tonight I think and tomorrow a.m. and again later.

My head is no longer hurting and the migraine hangover is already easing off. I figure the sugar is a small trade off for pain relief.