Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

I think its time I paid a visit to the dr.....UPDATE
Really hoped I wouldn't have to - see this thread for info But after a week of not knitting and resting my hands yesterday I picked up the needles and started knitting. I decided maybe i should try knitting looser seeing if that would help any, but clearly not because my fingers are back to hurting again. At least the index fingers but now for some reason the pain has gone to my pinky finger. I suspect i've killed my hands...:( So am going to stop knitting until I have advice from the Doctors......so...my friend will probably not see this blanket until after the baby's born, or probably a long time from that which is when I am sure someone else has given her a baby blanket? Can you have too many baby blankets? If so then perhaps I shall sell mine on Ebay! Well when it comes to knitting it..or donate it to a hospital.....oh i'm so upset now. I was looking forward to getting this done.

Well hope you all dont mind this rant of a post.
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I know how you feel. I love to knit, and once I get going on a project, I go at it as long as possible, sometimes ignoring the nagging pain in my hands, fingers. Then I have to stop for a few days! Whahhhhhhaaaaha! (crying bigtime).

but for me it's necessary, cuz I do have a titch of arthritis here and there. Old bones.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
I know how you feel. I love to knit, and once I get going on a project, I go at it as long as possible, sometimes ignoring the nagging pain in my hands, fingers. Then I have to stop for a few days! Whahhhhhhaaaaha! (crying bigtime).

but for me it's necessary, cuz I do have a titch of arthritis here and there. Old bones.
The arthritis is what i am worried about :( I feel i may have got that from the knitting - great.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Antares
Working the Gusset

I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems, and I hope you get some answers about what's causing the pain soon.

I don't know that an activity can cause arthritis, but I do know that repeated motions can bring on tendonitis and carpal tunnel and other problems. Let's hope that whatever's going on can be treated swiftly and that you'll be back to knitting again in no time.

And, NO, a mother can't have too many baby blankets. Usually at least one of the blankets is dirty and/or being washed when it's most needed, so I'd still give it to your friend whenever you can.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Sorry to hear about the pain still, let's hope the doctor can figure out what it is at least so you'll know what to do about it.

And I agree, the mother would still appreciate the blanket and babies need a few, for at home, in the pram, on car journeys etc.

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,976 Posts
I think seeing the doctor is a great idea. There may well be treatments that will help and let you get back to knitting. I certainly hope so and hope that all goes well.
I don't think I ever had enough baby blankets and lots of friends contributed to that supply. They are always a welcome present,
Old 04-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

just a suggestion, but...
what if we all helped? you could send the blanket to us and we could help finish it so that it won't be too late, what do you all think?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
I think seeing the doctor is a great idea. There may well be treatments that will help and let you get back to knitting. I certainly hope so and hope that all goes well.
I don't think I ever had enough baby blankets and lots of friends contributed to that supply. They are always a welcome present,
Hope so. I mean its mostly the index fingers where the pain is and sometimes my right thumb and it looks like I have a bruise on my index finger...so hope the doc can offer me some advice or something. Ugh knitting is supposed to be fun for gods sake :-(

I'm actually looking into buying some relief type gloves like Handeze...but before I do I will see doc before I spend 17 on a pair

Originally Posted by Paulaque View Post
what if we all helped? you could send the blanket to us and we could help finish it so that it won't be too late, what do you all think?
Thanks but I'd really like to do it myself. It won't seem like its from me if people help lol. But thanks all the same very nice of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ad2knit For This Useful Post:
Paulaque (04-04-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're suffering, and to the point that your project is stalled!

I've had hand aches, wrist aches, but none of them compare to the searing pain I've had the past two weeks. It runs upwards from my elbow to a few inches below my shoulder, in the muscles, like a butcher knife is stabbed into my arm.

But I know how you feel ("should I wait, or should I see a doctor?"). I'm not very good about seeking medical attention...I suffer with pain until it goes away...but clearly, that's really not the way to address pain.

I agree with all other comments...you should see a doctor. Perhaps there is a medication, or dietary changes, that will relieve your joints of pain and the stress that's causing the pain.

A baby blanket, gifted to the mommy, when the baby is even one-year old, will be a WELCOMED GIFT.
Give it to the baby as a 6 month's birthday present, or a one year birthday present!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-05-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #10
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

The base of the thumb is one of the places that arthritis shows up first, or, you can get something called 'tenosynovitis' at the base of the thumb. Sounds like a trip to the doctor would be a good thing.

One thing that can help a little is the supplement glucosamine/chondroitin. You have to take it for a month or so before you notice a difference, but it can help both animals and humans with osteoarthritis (arthritis that is from "wear and tear").
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote