Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
hbrmom81
Casting On

Opinions Please!
Hello all!
I am thinking about getting the Denise interchangeable needle set. I have seen some mixed reviews on amazon. I want to get a nice but less expensive set to start off with since I am a beginning knitter..... I will be doing more advanced projects with this set! Any opinions or other sets for this price point i should consider??? Thank you everyone!!

Heather
hbrmom81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hbrmom81 For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-10-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

So are you looking at the ones that are about $55.00? I ask so that people who give an opinion have that number in front of them since it's an important issue for you.

First of all, I've not bought the Denise needles--mainly because many people here do not like how inflexible the cords are. They're too thick to do magic loop or traveling loop.

Have you also looked at the interchangeable needles at Knitpicks and Webs? They are slightly pricier, but the cords are very flexible and can handle magic loop well.

I recently bought a set of the Knitter's Pride Dreamz Interchangeables from Webs. I love them! That was money well spent.

Also, Boye recently came out with a new set of wood interchangeable needles (and nickle-plated, too, I believe). It looks like the cords for these new sets are comparable to the cords of the Webs and Knitpicks needles, but I have not tried them, and I've not found a lot of reviews on them. So I leave it up to you whether you want to take a chance on these or not. Historically, of course, Boye has made lots of high quality products, but that may have changed in recent years.

There are other brands--Hiya Hiya and others, but they are much more expensive than the Denise needles.

If you're determined to go with the Denise needles, I saw that someone on here has a set for sale. Will try to figure out who that was. Also, I notice at the top of my screen there's an ad for Rainbow Denise Interchangeable Needles available from Knitting Help--it also says "Free Delivery."

ETA: Okay, I found the poster who had Denise needles for sale. Her user name is artsy1. You can search for her post, click on her user name, and then send her a private message.

You're sure to get lots more feedback, but you can also search KH for "interchangeable needles." It's a topic that's discussed with gusto about once a month around here.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-06-2013), justplaincharlotte (04-07-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,738 Times in 2,305 Posts
For me the Denise needles were OK until I realized I wanted to do things like magic loop. Then I decided I really didn't like the cables. I also had problems with things like K2tog because of the blunt tips. I had tips come loose from cables in the middle of a row and that was a real vocabulary builder. Their customer service was great inasmuch as they replaced pieces, no problems. I ended up with the Knit Picks Options, the WEBs needles are clones of them and totally interchangeable so far as I can tell. The deciding factors on which to choose was: Knit Picks gives free shipping on orders over $50 and they had a sale on. I've not listed my Denise set for sale because I have one or two stray pieces out of the case but would sell them.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
I have them, but don't use use them anymore for the same reasons stated by GG. I prefer my Knitpicks and Hiya Hiya needles for the thin flexible cables. The few extra bucks was completely worth it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

I have Knit Picks Harmony Interchangeables, but have decided I don't like the cables, they are too stiff.

I recently got a fixed circular needle from Knitter's Pride (Dreamz) and I LOVE them. The cable is nice and soft and doesn't curl up. I think I will look into those next. I hear their Karbonz are nice, too, but I really like wooden needles best so far.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
I have Knit Picks Harmony Interchangeables, but have decided I don't like the cables, they are too stiff.

I recently got a fixed circular needle from Knitter's Pride (Dreamz) and I LOVE them. The cable is nice and soft and doesn't curl up. I think I will look into those next. I hear their Karbonz are nice, too, but I really like wooden needles best so far.
You should contact Knit Picks. The cable shouldn't be stiff. Knit Pics Options and Knitter's Pride cables are clones, except for color. That's my experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Thanks for the advice! The last set of cables I got was so stiff it was a nightmare! When I was trying to join my knitting I had to tape the cables in place on the table because they kept popping up. It reminded me of the cartoons where a guy is going to the opera and his starched bib keeps flapping up in his face because it's so stiff. It was really frustrating, and even dipping them in boiling water did absolutely nothing. I will definitely ask them about it, because I LOVE the needles!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Good. Let us know what they do, OK?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #9
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

I had Denise but have now switched to "Knit Pro" Symfonie as I find the cables much easier to deal with ...
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I prefer using DPNs over magic loop. Also, I have nickel plated KPs but the tips are too sharp for me (and I find the needles too slick for non-lace knitting. ) I also have the plastic ones and they're ok.

I am considering getting Denise needles and I already have. several interchangeable sets. I love the fact Denise are made in the USA.