Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 233
Thanks: 80
Thanked 44 Times in 33 Posts
yay happy me!
I can knit!!! Well at least i hope so, lets not jinx it.

Anyway yesterday I went on Youtube and just searched how to hold yarn knitting or something like that and came across this video and I thought " Oh my god maybe that's the problem" So I got my knitting needles and just tried to hold the yarn like the video shows and yay after doing so I felt no strain in my right hand and started knitting a bit more and yay no pain anywhere!!! Yay me!!!

Well sort of. While there is no pain anywhere on my right, somehow I am straining my left hand, although i dont really use my left hand much so how i'm straining it I have no idea. I have tried to hold the needle on my left a bit looser but i'm not sure if its helping much...any tips?


but the good news is yay I can knit now no pain - sort of lol! Yay! And it means no doctor visit either - I hope!

PS I know i've been going on about my hands since i joined up here, sorry! I promise this is the last hand thread..well again ,I hope!
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ad2knit For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-08-2013), GrumpyGramma (04-07-2013), jinxnit55 (04-08-2013), justplaincharlotte (04-07-2013), N0obKnitter (04-08-2013)

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,213
Thanks: 1,661
Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Yay! I wrap it little bit differently, but it's still English method. How have you been holding the yarn? Left hand or right? I can knit continental (left), but I still find English easier.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ad2knit (04-08-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
salmonmac
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,539
Thanks: 636
Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Ah, good. I'm glad you've found something that works. Enjoy your knitting!
__________________
Knitting Help Videos Here!-
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
ad2knit (04-08-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset
 
justplaincharlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,854
Thanks: 2,734
Thanked 962 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by ad2knit View Post
I can knit!!! Well at least i hope so, lets not jinx it.

Anyway yesterday I went on Youtube and just searched how to hold yarn knitting or something like that and came across this video and I thought " Oh my god maybe that's the problem" So I got my knitting needles and just tried to hold the yarn like the video shows and yay after doing so I felt no strain in my right hand and started knitting a bit more and yay no pain anywhere!!! Yay me!!!

Well sort of. While there is no pain anywhere on my right, somehow I am straining my left hand, although i dont really use my left hand much so how i'm straining it I have no idea. I have tried to hold the needle on my left a bit looser but i'm not sure if its helping much...any tips?


but the good news is yay I can knit now no pain - sort of lol! Yay! And it means no doctor visit either - I hope!

PS I know i've been going on about my hands since i joined up here, sorry! I promise this is the last hand thread..well again ,I hope!
Congratulations on finding a method that helps with your right hand pain!

If you're holding the needles the same way as in the video, and you're naturally right handed, it may just be that your left hand musculature is getting exercised in a way it's not used to.

You may want to take breaks to rest that left hand just as you would rest your legs when walking more than you're accustomed to doing. Endurance will come.
__________________
Charlotte

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
ad2knit (04-08-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,213
Thanks: 1,661
Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Just for the record since it often comes up...I'm right handed and was a crocheter, but I still am happy and quite fast when I want to be with English knitting.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 233
Thanks: 80
Thanked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Yay! I wrap it little bit differently, but it's still English method. How have you been holding the yarn? Left hand or right? I can knit continental (left), but I still find English easier.
English is def easier for me. Tried continental but its not easy when you are a righty lol. show me how you do it?

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
Congratulations on finding a method that helps with your right hand pain!

If you're holding the needles the same way as in the video, and you're naturally right handed, it may just be that your left hand musculature is getting exercised in a way it's not used to.

You may want to take breaks to rest that left hand just as you would rest your legs when walking more than you're accustomed to doing. Endurance will come.
Spoke too soon!!! Index finger pain is baaaack doh! I jinxed it. Maybe I should go back to trying knitting with bamboo?
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Antares
Working the Gusset
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,884
Thanks: 236
Thanked 675 Times in 632 Posts
So sorry that didn't work for you either. But there are lots of ways to hold the yarn and needles and to knit. Check out this video of a woman who does Portuguese knitting. She claims it requires very few hand movements, so perhaps it will work for you. If not, there are other methods to try. Take a look on YouTube and see what you find.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (04-09-2013), N0obKnitter (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 233
Thanks: 80
Thanked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Im not giving up!
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
So sorry that didn't work for you either. But there are lots of ways to hold the yarn and needles and to knit. Check out this video of a woman who does Portuguese knitting. She claims it requires very few hand movements, so perhaps it will work for you. If not, there are other methods to try. Take a look on YouTube and see what you find.
I will knit! LOL!

I'm gonna see if working with Bamboo is better...or maybe I should buy circs....

Last edited by ad2knit : 04-08-2013 at 11:29 AM.
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,134
Thanks: 1,136
Thanked 144 Times in 127 Posts
I'm right handed and I can't knit American/English style if you put a gun to my head.

I've started trying to crochet, too.
__________________
[Spock]I have always been, and always shall be, your friend.[/Spock]
""
N0obKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,722
Thanks: 1,990
Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by N0obKnitter View Post
I'm right handed and I can't knit American/English style if you put a gun to my head.

I've started trying to crochet, too.

I don't think handedness, right or left, or crocheting first has much to do with the preferred method for knitting. I'm right handed, crocheted for years, couldn't manage to knit English, didn't know there was another way and kept trying to knit more like I crochet and then found out it's Continental knitting. Others who crochet first prefer English style. Here's something to throw into the mix, I'm left eye dominant and most right handed people are right eye dominant or so said my optometrist. Maybe that's why my right hand has a hard time tensioning and not dropping the yarn. Probably totally irrelevant! My point is, we can find all kinds of explanations for why one person knits one way and the other knits the other way but all that really matters is: Do you knit? Do you enjoy it? I can now knit English style and sort of purl English style, knowing both comes in handy.
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
ad2knit (04-08-2013), N0obKnitter (04-12-2013)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frustrated with Getknitted.com-HAPPY HAPPY UPDATE KnittingNat General Knitting 40 02-16-2008 05:23 AM
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza to everyone!! losnana The Lounge 12 12-23-2007 12:32 PM
HAPPY HAPPY: I just got 2 new books, Indigo Knits &... VictoiseC General Knitting 0 11-29-2007 01:11 PM
Big Box of Happy.... brendajos General Knitting 26 04-11-2007 07:25 PM
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY (YARN SWIFT OMG) VictoiseC General Knitting 14 06-20-2006 06:02 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 PM.