Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
Quote:
(Grumpy Grandma, did you say you take turmeric for inflammation?)
Yes. I started taking it to see if it would help a skin condition and it did and I noticed my knees and hands were less likely to bother me. I recently started taking coconut oil and my knees and hands bothered me even less and I've cut back on the turmeric. I was taking 4, 500 mg caps a day, now I'm down to 2 caps a day, and I may try going lower. I'm thinking of upping the coconut from about 1 tbs. once a day to 1 tbs. twice a day. I'm able to do deep knee bends w/o any real complaints from my knees and the skin problem hasn't resurfaced yet. I think I could crochet again should I choose, my hands don't complain like they used to. As it may have influence on how the turmeric and coconut oil work for me, I think I should add that I cannot take pain medications unless absolutely necessary. Tylenol doesn't seem to do anything pain-wise so even though I've not noticed problems with it, I don't use it. Ibuprofen and Excedrin make me high with a downer after that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy (whoever that might be, I've not a clue). More than about 4 aspirin in a month makes my ears ring. Things with codiene? Only if I don't care to function at all. As you might guess, I can use all the alternative help I can get and self-medicating is about my only option. Drugs and I do not mix well.

One more thing, I've eliminated all liquid dairy and cheese from my diet and have started reading labels to avoid things that contain whey, etc. Now if I consume dairy products, I feel more pain again.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
amy (04-10-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
So sorry that didn't work for you either. But there are lots of ways to hold the yarn and needles and to knit. Check out this video of a woman who does Portuguese knitting. She claims it requires very few hand movements, so perhaps it will work for you. If not, there are other methods to try. Take a look on YouTube and see what you find.
Antares - you beat me to it! Portuguese does require far fewer hand movements, and is much much easier on the hands and fingers than English, well except for the left thumb, but most of us have much stronger thumbs than fingers anyway.

A plus if you try this method ad2knit: don't feel obligated to buy a knitting pin, you can tension the yarn around your neck, or if you have one, you can use a coilless safety pin instead of a knitting pin. Just a tip from a dedicated portuguese knitter!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Tried having a go at continental again but thats made my left index hurty now.....guess a GP visit is def on the cards...must tell someone to hide my knitting in the meantime - keep wanting to knit grrr.
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #24
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

When knitting continental, how do you hold your yarn? Thinking back to when I started knitting and my fingers hurt...I held the yarn in a choke hold and it didn't move easily between my fingers and was tight around my index finger. I learned to hold it more loosely and to move my finger holding the yarn less by rocking my hand forward to do purls so I could pick the stitch with the right needle and have minimal movement with my index finger, then rock my left hand so that the yarn is in back for knits. If you're using your left finger to wrap the yarn around the needle you might try picking instead. This Continental knitting demo is as close as I can come to finding a video to show what I'm talking about. That's how I hold my yarn now and with everything looser there is much less strain on my hands and fingers. Still, I typically move my index finger less than in the way she shows.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #25
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
When knitting continental, how do you hold your yarn? Thinking back to when I started knitting and my fingers hurt...I held the yarn in a choke hold and it didn't move easily between my fingers and was tight around my index finger. I learned to hold it more loosely and to move my finger holding the yarn less by rocking my hand forward to do purls so I could pick the stitch with the right needle and have minimal movement with my index finger, then rock my left hand so that the yarn is in back for knits. If you're using your left finger to wrap the yarn around the needle you might try picking instead. This Continental knitting demo is as close as I can come to finding a video to show what I'm talking about. That's how I hold my yarn now and with everything looser there is much less strain on my hands and fingers. Still, I typically move my index finger less than in the way she shows.
I'm knitting how the video on Knitting Help shows....so...yeah...I think i'm doing it right.

Oh i sincerely hope i dont have arthiritis. I'm actually scared to go to the docs :(

Edited to add: how can i poss have arthiritis anyway - I'm 33! thats something you get in your 50-s-60s!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Nope, even young people can get arthritis although it is more common in older people. I think because you're new you've probably got other issues like holding the yarn to tight, knitting tight, and the stress of learning which tightens you up.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
amy (04-10-2013), GrumpyGramma (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #27
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

It's not a matter of right or wrong, just what works. If it works then it's right. I really hope you figure this thing out.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #28
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Nope, even young people can get arthritis although it is more common in older people. I think because you're new you've probably got other issues like holding the yarn to tight, knitting tight, and the stress of learning which tightens you up.
Well technically I'm not new...i just started up again after a year due to the same sort of problem 2 years ago (see my blog!)

That being said though when I first started knitting I had no issuues..then it came to when I learnt how to knit socks the issues started - and i blame those blooming DPN's....that's why i stopped the knitting in the first place even though when i went to see the doctor the last time she was all like "oh no you don't WANT to stop knitting in fact its good for the hands" and just prescribed me ibuprofen gel. Urgh I don't know what to do...shall i just leave the knitting alone until i get advice?

Off topic Jan...how do you get the ravelry buttons up? I'm trying to add one to my blooming blog!
Speaking of the blog i'm thinking of changing the name...I'm hardly a knit - a holic really am i? Any ideas?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #29
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Uh...I know nothing about how to put one on a blog. Probably save the image to your computer same as you do for other links. I'll find the link for images in a few minutes.

Ahhh...I can't knit with those tiny needles and that tighter tension required for socks for long or my hands are bothered, too. I've got socks size 0 circs right now and it's taking forever so I've got multiple projects going. My preferred needle sizes are 5-8. I can knit for hours as long as I use the bigger circular needles or I'm doing something for shorter periods with the smaller ones.

I just got an ad for Patternworks and they are advertising Kollage needles and saying they are good for arthritic hands. They are square and you can get a soft or firm cable. Why anyone would want firm is beyond me, but I've not tried them. They are a bit pricey...right up there with Addi's.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Here's links to buttons.
http://www.ravelry.com/wiki/pages/Ravelry-inspiredworks

This thread might help, too.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...avelry+buttons

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Antares (04-10-2013)