Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Marie743
Ribbing the Cuff

The pattern states to join after cast on. If I do some rounds before I join, how many of the rounds would I do first before joining? Even with this method, the cast on row is still only 14 inches, and then the ribbing is done on top of that so the neck winds up even smaller yet. If I do some rounds before I join, what happens to the part above the joining since it is not joined? I would love to knit her sweaters if I can figure this out.
Marie743 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
aprilbetty
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Aha, Aprilbetty, genius! About how big does the opening for the neck end up being?
The front ends up with the same number of stitches as the back, but in a 'U' shape (if that makes sense).
aprilbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
aprilbetty
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Marie743 View Post
The pattern states to join after cast on. If I do some rounds before I join, how many of the rounds would I do first before joining? Even with this method, the cast on row is still only 14 inches, and then the ribbing is done on top of that so the neck winds up even smaller yet. If I do some rounds before I join, what happens to the part above the joining since it is not joined? I would love to knit her sweaters if I can figure this out.
Are you using the book "The Knitter's Handy Book of Top-down Sweaters," by Ann Budd? According to my book, 72 st would be cast on for size 46" at a gauge of 6 st. per inch. It specifically says, Do not join," and then gives the number of sts to cast on in a particular pattern for each size. I posted a sweater that I just finished, that I called "Not Arlene," a few weeks ago.

I love Ann Budd's books because of her charts. They are so easy to customize.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
aprilbetty
Knitting the Flap

I was assuming you were making the raglan style top-down sweater, but maybe you are working on another of the patterns. In that case ignore my previous post. I have only done the raglan style.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
Marie743
Ribbing the Cuff

If I knit several rows without joining, and then join, what do I do with the unjoined rows? The instructions say to join after the cast on round, which leaves a very small neck opening and wouldn't even look as wide as the picture displays for the yoke.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
Marie743
Ribbing the Cuff

- See more at: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh....IJTKUyMQ.dpuf
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
Marie743
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm using page, size 36, guage of 5 stitches per inch and the cast on is 72 which is very small, and the instructions state for a pull over to join after cast on. I would love to use her book but this doesn't make sense. the picture of the yoke pullover indicates a much larger diameter, and this diameter would barely fit around my neck.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
aprilbetty
Knitting the Flap

If I knit several rows without joining, and then join, what do I do with the unjoined rows? The instructions say to join after the cast on round, which leaves a very small neck opening and wouldn't even look as wide as the picture displays for the yoke.
I just follow the directions exactly, and it comes out right. You must be doing a different pattern. Sorry I can't help. Maybe somebody else can.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,557 Posts
I'm using page, size 36, guage of 5 stitches per inch and the cast on is 72 which is very small, and the instructions state for a pull over to join after cast on. I would love to use her book but this doesn't make sense. the picture of the yoke pullover indicates a much larger diameter, and this diameter would barely fit around my neck.

If you look ahead are stitch counts given for rounds later on? If so, you might be able to determine whether there might be a typo for cast on?

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Antares
Working the Gusset

Have you tried contacting the author or have you checked to see if there's any errata listed for this book/pattern?

You may have to go with a larger size and cast on for it and then adjust to fit.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote