Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #41
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I can only suggest that you work on knitting looser and try different ways of holding the yarn. It all comes down to personal experimentation and coming up with what works. I think you said you use bamboo needles, more slippery needles might help. The point is to reduce the strain on your hands in any way you can. If you've not tried the Portugese knitting, you might give it a go. My hands are feeling stiffish this morning so I think I'll wash dishes by hand before I knit today.
I wonder if I should ask my grandmother if i could borrow one of her metal knitting needles? metal's slippery is it not? If the plastic's not helping (sorry sis) and the bamboo isn't slippery enough, how about the metal?
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #42
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
All those posts you made were middle of the night our time...from very late night to early morning the next day. Gotta give us time to sleep.

Larger needles may make the squares bigger. However if you want to knit my suggestions stand..circular needles and/or a different needle material.

Metal is slick and yarn slips over it easier, but it's cold which may not help if you have pain.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ad2knit (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #43
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,197 Times in 2,698 Posts
Originally Posted by ad2knit View Post
I wonder if I should ask my grandmother if i could borrow one of her metal knitting needles? metal's slippery is it not? If the plastic's not helping (sorry sis) and the bamboo isn't slippery enough, how about the metal?

Sounds like a plan to me. What's to lose? I'm sure your sister would rather you be able to knit whatever needles you use and the bamboo ones might come in handy at times. You might be able to use them at some point. Only time and experimentation can tell. The slippery metal ones might or might not make the difference.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
ad2knit (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #44
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Quote:
Metal is slick and yarn slips over it easier, but it's cold which may not help if you have pain.
With circs, the metal needles are generally covered with stitches so I don't notice that they're cold. Just sayin'.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
ad2knit (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #45
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
All those posts you made were middle of the night our time...from very late night to early morning the next day. Gotta give us time to sleep.

Larger needles may make the squares bigger. However if you want to knit my suggestions stand..circular needles and/or a different needle material.

I know i keep forgetting y'all are in the US and i'm in the UK lol. I'm sorry :hugs:

i'll def try the circulars - I will need them at some stage anyway i'm sure.....I think i'll need to pop into a knitting shop tomorrow and ask for advice re materials though - i'd hate to waste money - lord knows i probably have wasted some with the bamboo set and my sis buying me the plastic set..i suppose i could keep them just in case or ebay them lol.

Sounds like a plan to me. What's to lose? I'm sure your sister would rather you be able to knit whatever needles you use and the bamboo ones might come in handy at times. You might be able to use them at some point. Only time and experimentation can tell. The slippery metal ones might or might not make the difference.
Maybe i just won't tell my sister lol

With circs, the metal needles are generally covered with stitches so I don't notice that they're cold. Just sayin'.
And i suppose this is WHY people wear fingerless gloves when they are knitting. I'll try them though...at least i'm borrowing my nan's needles - its better than wasting more money huh?

But in the meantime - how long do you all reckon i should take a break?

PS thanks for all your posts
Old 04-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #46
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

A break...I dunno..do they hurt at all when you now aren't knitting or is it only when you are actually knitting? If it's only when you're knitting then I'd say you can start anytime.

You can go to a yarn store and see if they have needles you can try before you buy. However you can also by a sampler set which has 3 sets with different needle materials to test.

This is the brands KH will be selling. It also has one of the Cubix which I've heard is easier on the hands.
http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-ne...t-with-cubics/

This is the set from Knitpicks and it also includes 3 sets of needles of different materials.
http://www.knitpicks.com/knitting-ne...eedle-set.html

I don't know your financial situation, but if you're going to knit either one will be something you'll use forever. And if you decide to go with interchangeable circs do yourself a favor and get some grippy shelf liner and cut a piece off to carry in your needle/notions bag. It helps to tighten the needles on so they don't slip. This type of stuff-
http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Shelf-Dra.../dp/B000KFSOFI

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #47
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

A break...I dunno..do they hurt at all when you now aren't knitting or is it only when you are actually knitting? If it's only when you're knitting then I'd say you can start anytime.
I don't know your financial situation, but if you're going to knit either one will be something you'll use forever. And if you decide to go with interchangeable circs do yourself a favor and get some grippy shelf liner and cut a piece off to carry in your needle/notions bag. It helps to tighten the needles on so they don't slip.
They're hurting slightly now, and i'm at work on the computer but the problem arises after a bit of knitting....meh....

Re my financial situation: I'm OK on that part. I just dont like to waste money.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #48
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I should point out that many people have pain in their hands from computer work. If I'm on too much my hands are killing me.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #49
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

I should point out that many people have pain in their hands from computer work. If I'm on too much my hands are killing me.
This is very true Jan. But ive never had trouble before....
Old 04-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #50
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

I wonder if your problem originates higher up in your arms or even your shoulders or neck. It could be that the way you sit puts pressure on nerves. It seems you've paid attention to how you hold the needles and yarn, how you move your hands, things like that, and haven't isolated a cause. Maybe posture changes would make a difference. I think it's not a knitting problem so much as knitting adds to whatever is going on already and that's when you really notice it. Maybe a small towel rolled up to rest your wrists on? When I learned to type they stressed good posture and how you hold your arms and wrists, but that was back in about 1970 and I have no idea what is taught now. If you were going to type on a manual typewriter...not only have lots of people never used a typewriter, one that doesn't plug in is freakin' beyond belief!... you had to learn those things.

Some recollections make me feel positively prehistoric.