Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #51
Antares
Working the Gusset

Yeah, I have to agree with GG. Your problem might be in your neck or shoulders, or even in your back. I sometimes get a knot below my shoulder blade that affects my arm, wrist, and hand.

Perhaps a good massage is in your future!!!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #52
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Hey look what I found!
http://knitfreedom.com/being-a-knitt...ng-pain-relief

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #53
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I wonder if your problem originates higher up in your arms or even your shoulders or neck. It could be that the way you sit puts pressure on nerves. It seems you've paid attention to how you hold the needles and yarn, how you move your hands, things like that, and haven't isolated a cause. Maybe posture changes would make a difference. I think it's not a knitting problem so much as knitting adds to whatever is going on already and that's when you really notice it. Maybe a small towel rolled up to rest your wrists on? When I learned to type they stressed good posture and how you hold your arms and wrists, but that was back in about 1970 and I have no idea what is taught now. If you were going to type on a manual typewriter...not only have lots of people never used a typewriter, one that doesn't plug in is freakin' beyond belief!... you had to learn those things.

Some recollections make me feel positively prehistoric.
Posture might be an issue....I'm trying to work out where at home i can knit that's good for my back and stuff. not that i've had problems with my back although i did have problems with my upper arm but I resolved that (I think) by resting a pillow on my lap and making my wrists rest on that so that somewhat helped the arm issue.....I think the only chair place at home that might help with the posture issue might be the downstairs family room breakfast table chairs..my dressing table chair makes me feel like i want to slouch as does sitting on my bed...so I will try to force my self to take my knitting downstairs and sit down on the breakfast table chairs with a pillow rested on my lap....lets see how that goes.....

and i'm going to try to knit looser....somehow. Maybe the issue is that i'm being too tight on my knitting..need to figure out how to loosen up. god that makes me sound like I'm a tense person altogether! LOL! I'm really not, I promise!

Ok, i am going to see how it pans out....and i will to not mention the hand situation for a week. lets see how knitting downstairs at the breakfast table and trying to be looser goes...if that doesn't work, I'm def going to buy some circular needles and see if that will help any. and if that doesn't work then knitting may not be for me and i shall present my friend with a ball of yarn and say "Hey...i tried to knit you something but you know what, it didin't work out so here's some yarn, if you know of anyone that knits tell them to make something lovely from this" LOL

Thanks for tolerating these posts about my stupid fingers/hands guys. You all are a lovely bunch here. With any luck my next post will be my FO!

PS: GG i used to learn how to touch type on those typewriters! LOL! and that was in 1987! i was 7 years old and my dad's secretary bless her, taught me how to touch type - thats what my dad did sometimes after I finished school - bring me to work and ask his secretary to keep me occupied for a few hours! And what fun it was too
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #54
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

When I knit tightmy hands do hurt more. My purling is pretty tight which is usually when I notice it. My knitting is loose. Also e careful the working yarn slides through your fingers. Relax.

I learned to type in 1968 or so. I thought they were electric, but I could be wrong.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #55
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
When I knit tightmy hands do hurt more. My purling is pretty tight which is usually when I notice it. My knitting is loose. Also e careful the working yarn slides through your fingers. Relax.

I learned to type in 1968 or so. I thought they were electric, but I could be wrong.
For some reason we had to learn on the manuals and then moved to Selectrics.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #56
Antares
Working the Gusset

If you're knitting somewhere where you don't have good back support, then that could be causing problems, too.

Do you have a recliner or a couch you can relax and knit on. I almost always knit in my recliner. Of course, that doesn't automatically mean I'm relaxed (I still have to tell my shoulders, "DOWN!"), but I'm much more relaxed there than, say, sitting on my bed with no (or poor) back support.

Hope something will work for you!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #57
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
If you're knitting somewhere where you don't have good back support, then that could be causing problems, too.

Do you have a recliner or a couch you can relax and knit on. I almost always knit in my recliner. Of course, that doesn't automatically mean I'm relaxed (I still have to tell my shoulders, "DOWN!"), but I'm much more relaxed there than, say, sitting on my bed with no (or poor) back support.

Hope something will work for you!
I usually sit in an arm chair, feet on a foot stool, elbows maybe resting on the chair arms. Poor posture I guess but it works. I guess it's mostly because I can't really roll my shoulders forward sitting like this.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #58
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
For some reason we had to learn on the manuals and then moved to Selectrics.
I was thinking Selectric so it might have been that. I guess it's kind if like teaching a kid to add, subtract, multiply and divide before they can use a calculator? Math makes sense for this, but not typing.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #59
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I was thinking Selectric so it might have been that. I guess it's kind if like teaching a kid to add, subtract, multiply and divide before they can use a calculator? Math makes sense for this, but not typing.
Or maybe because we lived in a backward town where lots of manual typewriters were still in use. I dunno, never made sense back then and doesn't now. I do know I never could type worth a darn, and I still can't. Yea! computers! I can correct my mistakes and never have to worry about the CCs! Oh yeah, upside down carbon paper...those were the good ol' days, no doubt about it.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #60
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Carbon paper! Ugh!

I lived in southern CA in fairly nice area so maybe that is the difference. I was the 5th class to graduate so it was pretty new, too.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~