Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
aprilbetty
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Marie743 View Post
I'm using page, size 36, guage of 5 stitches per inch and the cast on is 72 which is very small, and the instructions state for a pull over to join after cast on. I would love to use her book but this doesn't make sense. the picture of the yoke pullover indicates a much larger diameter, and this diameter would barely fit around my neck.
I see which one you are knitting. The 72 sts should work out right. My raglan sweater, size 36, gauge 5/in, had a cast on of 50 sts, and by the time the front was shaped, and joined, I had increased to 72 sts around the neck. (At the same time I was increasing on the raglan lines.) I think your sweater will work out right. You can knit several inches, then put the sts on a piece of scrap yarn, and try it on. I think the question is whether or not you can get it over your head. I have knitted several sizes of the raglan style, and the fit was perfect.

CORRECTION: My cast on for that sweater was 44 sts. I have just started another sweater, 6 st. per in. that I cast on 50 sts. (The tables can be confusing, but they work!)

Last edited by aprilbetty : 04-10-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Correction in # of sts.
aprilbetty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #22
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,466 Times in 3,142 Posts
Aprilbetty, thanks very much for locating the pattern. So the cast on is 72sts and then you knit back and forth for how many rows? Then join and work in the round?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 AM   #23
aprilbetty
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Aprilbetty, thanks very much for locating the pattern. So the cast on is 72sts and then you knit back and forth for how many rows? Then join and work in the round?
The cast on is 72 sts, and you join immediately and begin working in the round. This is the seamless yoke sweater, not the raglan. I had just assumed that the sweater would be the raglan style. Ann Budd actually has several other styles in her book, including a 'set-in' sleeve from the top down, and a saddle shoulder. I seem to be sticking with the raglan, because I have had such good luck with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to aprilbetty For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (04-11-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #24
Marie743
Ribbing the Cuff

The sweater that I was going to knit was the first one in the book, a pullover and the instructions stated to join after cast on. I'm afraid to start this sweater since the opening would be too small.
Marie743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #25
aprilbetty
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Marie743 View Post
The sweater that I was going to knit was the first one in the book, a pullover and the instructions stated to join after cast on. I'm afraid to start this sweater since the opening would be too small.
I looked at the instructions for that sweater, and it says to do a provisional cast on (which you remove when you pick up sts for the ribbing). I guess that would make the neck stretchier. Like I said before, I have only done the top-down raglan style, and the fit works out great!